2000 Lincoln Town Car no start - anti-theft light blinking

jtkg

This car had intermittent no start but now we haven't been able to start it in about a week. Tried all the numerous suggestions on the internet but no luck. Getting 1:6 code Faulty link between PATS module and EECV. Any suggestions on what could cause this and any suggested testing would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

YoungOldMan

I assume that if you have multiple keys you've tried them? Sometimes the transponders go bad, and the only real symptom is intermittent starting and eventually no starting. If you're still on the original keys, 20 years could have finally killed them

jtkg

We only have 1 key. I was thinking of having it towed to the ford dealer and purchasing another key, then have them both programmed but when I got that code I wasn't sure if the key was the problem. Could a bad key cause the 1:6 code or could it be the transponder ring.

YoungOldMan

It's probably not the key, but when you have a PATS issue "have you tried a spare key" is the equivalent to "maybe it's the gas cap" on an emissions error. It's more likely to be a wiring or a relay issue than it is the key. I'd test the relay first, which I believe is R3 under the hood on the 2000. You should be able to steal a relay from another system, either R4 or R5 assuming they're the same size, and plug it into the PCM relay slot there to see if the behavior changes

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
We only have 1 key. I was thinking of having it towed to the ford dealer and purchasing another key, then have them both programmed but when I got that code I wasn't sure if the key was the problem. Could a bad key cause the 1:6 code or could it be the transponder ring.
Hi, jtkg.

The transponder ring is the more likely culprit, though a loose wire connection could also do it. EECV is another name for the PCM.

To confirm this yourself, download Forscan, buy the appropriate recommended interface to connect your computer to the car, and get Forscan running.

Both Forscan and the Ford Factory/Dealer software can "read" the signature of the key in the ignition in real time. If Forscan can't "see" the key when it's in the ignition cylinder, that will confirm your "1:6 code."

Once you get the car running, I would go out next and get the missing key replaced. If your existing key is a "clone" (non-Lincoln,) I would get two Lincoln keys, and have them programmed into the PCM right away, in memory slots one and two. While then non-writable "factory" keys can go bad, this happens much more frequently with the writable "clone" keys.

[Edit: while I was writing this, @YoungOldMan posted about checking the relay. Try that first, since you can actually do that "right now-ish." Hopefully, it's just the relay. If not, see above.]

Good luck.

jtkg

Tried switching out the relays and still no start. Got the transponder ring removed so we could get the part number. Hope we can find one on ebay. I'll post again when I have new info. Thank you both for your help.

HTML