2000 Continental engine removal - up or down?

the realdocimastic

Sarasota, FL
I have a 2000 Lincoln Continental (with 4.6L engine and AX4N transaxle, of course) that i have started prepping for an engine swap. The factory service manual (Thank you, Town, for posting that in my earlier thread at http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums...ontinental-head-engine-removal-FSM-directions) shows the engine being lifted for removal (an "up" arrow in the picture for the "Remove engine assembly" step - which is step #64). It is clear from the manual that the removal is for the engine only, as step #63 is "Separate the engine from the transaxle" AND the picture (step #64) shows only the engine hanging from the lift. That being the case, 1) why does the manual say to disassemble practically the entire front suspension, and 2) why does the manual say to remove the subframe? Both of these things makes it seem that the engine must be dropped out, rather than lifted out. As I am doing this in my driveway (ugh! and GRRRR!) I would much rather lift the engine out than drop it. Perhaps even more important, if it can be lifted out then the front suspension would not have to be taken apart, and the subframe could be left in place, too, and both of those things would add substantial time and labor. I have read online that it has to come out the bottom, but it seems that there is room for it to come out the top - a little close to the firewall, but i think it would work. Anyone with experience having done this? And if so, which way does it come out? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I cannot add anything here, but I hope someone can help you.

I did go over the procedures again and compared the 2000 model to the 2001 model to see if there were any changes, but nothing. But when looking for the install procedure as part of the removal procedure found it missing. The engine install procedure is actually a separate procedure so I attached it to the original thread, so you would have all the info you need.

Good luck.

the realdocimastic

Sarasota, FL
Hi, Town, thanks for the quick response....

I can't find the engine install procedure in the original thread... I even re-downloaded the file to check it. If you could / would attach it that would be much appreciated and might give me additional insights.

One bad sign (meaning another indicia that it comes out the bottom) is that although I thought the instructions said to disconnect the dual converter Y-pipe, it says to remove it. Of course, removal would be necessary to drop the engine down the bottom.

A pet peeve... I long for the factory shop manuals of the 60's, that explained and showed EVERYTHING.....

Thanks again.

David

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hi David,

I posted the engine install procedure in post #9 in the original thread today and checked that it showed up when clicking your link to that thread in your post #1 of this thread.

The subframe lowering (and therefor removal of what is attached) appears to be the same as the 2000 model Taurus. The Taurus (3 liter DOHC) on which the Continental is based does say to lower engine and trans down from the car and separate the engine from the trans. It isn't clear to me why the different approach for the Continental, but I thought this would be a positive feature for you. Good luck.

Take care,
Art

the realdocimastic

Sarasota, FL
Thank you! Yes, it does seem it needs to come out the bottom, but can take out only the engine of the Conti. Thanks for checking re the Taurus engine removal.

Now all I have to do is 1) figure out how to get the car high enough so the engine will clear, and 2) figure out how to slide the engine out from under the car, and the new one in.... Yes, i could put a dolly under it, but that is a few more inches the car will need to be raised.

A powertrain lift is more than a bit out of my budget.... I will likely check on Monday to see if any rental place near me has one.....

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Your 4.6 DOHC V8 engine is huge compared to the 3 liter DOHC V6 in the Taurus. The length of the engine and its width (out to the heads) may be the issue that it has to come out the top.

Good luck.

the realdocimastic

Sarasota, FL
Art,

It is strange the way the human brain works sometimes (when it works! LOL). I KNEW that the Taurus and Sable use the same platform or whatever it is called. But I hadn't thought to Google "2000 Taurus engine removal" until I read your post mentioning that the subframe lowering appears to be the same on the Taurus. Well, check this out! http://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12666 All of my questions about how to get the car high enough, etc, and many helpful comments as one reads down. I haven't yet checked, but if I can drop the Continental's subframe with the front suspension attached and intact as these guys did with their Taurus's, it will save me many hours of work.... It seems like it ought to be the same, and hopefully is.

Googling "2000 Taurus engine removal" also yields some videos (4, actually, but 3 of them are parts 1, 2, and 3). I haven't watched them yet, but I darn sure will this afternoon.

Thanks for the "trigger," Art! What a goldmine you gave me! I will let you and others who read this thread know how things work out.

David

2/2001 percent

I have a 2000 Lincoln Continental (with 4.6L engine and AX4N transaxle, of course) that i have started prepping for an engine swap. The factory service manual (Thank you, Town, for posting that in my earlier thread at 2000 Continental head / engine removal - FSM directions?) shows the engine being lifted for removal (an "up" arrow in the picture for the "Remove engine assembly" step - which is step #64). It is clear from the manual that the removal is for the engine only, as step #63 is "Separate the engine from the transaxle" AND the picture (step #64) shows only the engine hanging from the lift. That being the case, 1) why does the manual say to disassemble practically the entire front suspension, and 2) why does the manual say to remove the subframe? Both of these things makes it seem that the engine must be dropped out, rather than lifted out. As I am doing this in my driveway (ugh! and GRRRR!) I would much rather lift the engine out than drop it. Perhaps even more important, if it can be lifted out then the front suspension would not have to be taken apart, and the subframe could be left in place, too, and both of those things would add substantial time and labor. I have read online that it has to come out the bottom, but it seems that there is room for it to come out the top - a little close to the firewall, but i think it would work. Anyone with experience having done this? And if so, which way does it come out? Thanks in advance!
So how did you do it?