1999 Lincoln Continental rear subwoofer cover removal

spartacus99

Hi all.

I have the 99 continental with the alpine system that does NOT have the rear subwoofer. There is this nice looking cover on the rear deck that covers where the subwoofer goes, I changed to a double din ILX-W650 radio, but I want to add an amp and a subwoofer to the car. After removing the cover, there's a metal grill with cutouts, but only slots, so there is no way to sit a sub in from the top. so I guess it is mounted from the trunk somehow. Has anyone mounted a subwoofer that can shed some light on this?? How does it mount? 2020-08-17 14.20.54.jpg

Attachments

spartacus99

No one knows....Mine does not have that...No one has done what you are wanting to do. Time to blaze your own trail. ;)
That's very odd. There is a space there and when I go to Sonix electronics, they list for the exact system that the car came stock with, 2 speakers of various sizes in the front and rear doors, and an 8 inch sub in the area that I am speaking about. When I popped the cover off, I should've taken pictures. It has openings, like vents. Certainly enough to get bass through. Maybe it just mounts from the bottom with VERY small screws. Crutchfield has installation instructions, but they don't share them unless you make a purchase.

flaokie

I don't know if a 1999 is the same as a 2002.
The 2002 service manual descriptions and illustrations are very poor, but this is what I think it is trying to convey.

There are two subwoofers in the rear shelf, at either end.
To get to them you have to take out the rear seat, the interior C pillar trim on both sides, seat belts, and then the package tray.
The illustration shows the two subwoofers drop in from the top and are fastened with 4 screws. The speakers appear to be round (not ovals).

I haven't touched the speakers in my Conti. This is what I can deduct from looking at the manual.

It may get you going in the right direction, or may not. Good luck.

Last edited:

ElDavidThomas

Hi all.

I have the 99 continental with the alpine system that does NOT have the rear subwoofer. There is this nice looking cover on the rear deck that covers where the subwoofer goes, I changed to a double din ILX-W650 radio, but I want to add an amp and a subwoofer to the car. After removing the cover, there's a metal grill with cutouts, but only slots, so there is no way to sit a sub in from the top. so I guess it is mounted from the trunk somehow. Has anyone mounted a subwoofer that can shed some light on this?? How does it mount? View attachment 8421
Well, there are x2 6x9's underneath. From what I've experienced, you have to:

1. remove the mat from the inside of the trunk.
2. Unscrew and unclip the cover from inside the trunk.
3. Remove the backseat. There are two metal clips on the bench you have to push and lift it up.
4. Remove the back of the rear seat, x2 10mm bolts. Then you gotta pop off the C pillar covers then the rear package tray.

I am thinking you'd have to mod the rear tray to fit a sub though. Or, build a box and put in the trunk.

spartacus99

Well, there are x2 6x9's underneath. From what I've experienced, you have to:

1. remove the mat from the inside of the trunk.
2. Unscrew and unclip the cover from inside the trunk.
3. Remove the backseat. There are two metal clips on the bench you have to push and lift it up.
4. Remove the back of the rear seat, x2 10mm bolts. Then you gotta pop off the C pillar covers then the rear package tray.

I am thinking you'd have to mod the rear tray to fit a sub though. Or, build a box and put in the trunk.
I'm not sure about the corners. Sonix Electronics shows an 8 " sub fitting into the center rear on the 99

flaokie

From my experiences, it would not be the first time a supplier made a mistake on an application.

As jkeaton said earlier --

“Time to blaze your own trail. “

Take enough apart until you're sure what you've got, before buying new speaker(s).