• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1998 Lincoln Town Car air suspension compressor comes on every time I stop

kingoftoys

Spokane, Wa.
I can turn off the air suspension and 24 hours later it has not lowered at all. I do the same thing with the trunk switch left on and 24 hours later it has not lowered any. I can not see where I would have that big of a leak for the compressor to come on so often. Does this point to a bad ride sensor? Maybe a bad module? I have read many previous posts, but still not sure. Any help would be appreciated. I do have the factory service manual.

dweiss

Could be a ride sensor. I replaced mine with one from a local junk yard (PullAPart) when I was troubleshooting last year. The modules are an easy swap too. Mine is now leaking significantly, and I just picked up new air springs yesterday. Before I did that, I sprayed soapy water on both springs and noticed a leak on the right rear. If they hadn't leaked, I would have checked the solenoids or their o-rings. But you say you don't notice much difference in height. Do you notice ANY change in height when compressor comes on? You might peek at the spring when compressor is on and see if it expands.

kingoftoys

Spokane, Wa.
If I let the car sit for maybe 4 days with the switch off, it will lower a couple inches. I go and turn it on and run the car and it does inflate properly. Once the weather gets a little warmer, I will jack up the car and look for leaks at the air springs and solenoids. I have been driving it with the air switch off and not having any issues. Luckily it is not a daily driver over the winter months. Strange it takes maybe 4 days to go down.

dweiss

slow leak? I've wondered if worn shocks might contribute to its calibrating and/or worsening of a leak (at least on mine)

kingoftoys

Spokane, Wa.
Never thought of that. Something else to look at. I've only had the car about 5 months and driven about 1,300 miles. Not my first Lincoln with air suspension. Got 12 great years out of a 1995 Town Car.

kingoftoys

Spokane, Wa.
I just lifted the left rear with a floor jack by the frame. Thought I could hear an air leak. Sprayed the air spring with window cleaner. Nothing at first, but looking again I saw a small area building with bubbles. Confirmed the leak. I chose not to jack up the right side as I will replace in pairs. Lost enough air that I had to run the compressor to inflate the air spring as the floor jack would not come out. I will probably continue to drive with the compressor off until it needs to be filled again.

HTML