1998 Lincoln Navigator Infamous P0171

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

IsaiahT65

About two weeks ago i had my navigator scanned, only power train code that came up was P0171. Running to lean in bank one. We all know this could be a number of things. Any P0171 veterans have any suggestions where to start or what to look for. I already know its not the o2 sensor or maf sensor(thoroughly cleaned) . It runs rough ,ii can smell the gas running rich , and has loss of power. Doesn't jump of the line like it should . Any suggestions would be appreciated

I would say if it comes up diagnosing that it's burning too lean on one bank and you're smelling rich burning fuel, the computer is somehow sensing a lean burn when there isn't one and compensating for that. If you're sure it's not the o2/maf, start pulling spark plugs on that bank. Look and see if one is burning too lean or possibly more. Then check out or replace the injector for each of the cylinders that had lean burning plugs. If you find all the plugs on that bank gas fouled or burning really rich, then it's got to be something with the monitoring of the air fuel mixture of that bank.

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
I am getting this same code on my 98' Navigator. The car seems to be running just fine but the code is popping up. Any tips on where to look first if I am getting the code but not seeing any symptoms? I'd hate to take this into the shop so they change charge me for a ton of stuff that "might" fix it.

frankp

I am getting this same code on my 98' Navigator. The car seems to be running just fine but the code is popping up. Any tips on where to look first if I am getting the code but not seeing any symptoms? I'd hate to take this into the shop so they change charge me for a ton of stuff that "might" fix it.
Try to clean the mass air sensor, I had a similar porblem with my 95 towncar and cleanong the sensor solved it. Easy to do.