1998 Lincoln Continental - stalls, traction control light on, no tach

mhobryan

Hi - Newbie here....but not a newbie to car maintenance. bought a 98 Conti about 3 months ago, had 76k miles, now about 82k miles. Extremely clean, completely dealer maintained (including oil changes) one family owned.

Got our first bout of real winter weather here in the Detroit area over the past week. I noticed over the past few days when it was really cold (single digits), when i first fired it up in the morning or coming home from work, it would idle at 500 rpm for like 10 seconds, and then jump to high idle like it should at about 1k. Today on the way home, it lurched, or hesitated for a second while I on was doing about 50 mph on the expressway and immediately the Traction Control light came on, and tach read 0 RPM. Met friends for dinner, so when I got to the restaurant, turned off the car, turned it back on, TC light is off, and Tach is working. Come out from dinner about 2 hours later, get on the expressway, and as I merge onto another expressway (about 5 min into trip, again single digits) see a car moving really slow, nearly stopped, so tapped on the brakes and the car stalls. pull over, have to crank it four or five times for it to catch, got it running, but again the tach is reading zero, and the TC light is on. Get home and put a code reader on it, and it is not throwing any codes, actual or pending.

I'm a bit at a loss ... thinking maybe crank position sensor, IAC (that's a bit of a stretch..may have been coasting, but above idle speeds) .... not sure if traction control module would cause stalling and the tach not to work...anyone else have some thoughts?

mhobryan

Nope ... it disappeared...until today. I have at my local Indy - they can get it to repeat, but haven't been able to diagnose.

batchman

I can't say for sure why but it sounds like the ignition switch to me. Jiggling the key would be my suggestion next time it happens. A clean '97 is a wonderful thing, I fell in love with the rockers on a clean '98 and have been regretting it ever since, except for slightly improved gas mileage (presumably due to aero).

Good luck,
- Jeff

flaokie

The previous posters haven't been around in 5 years.

I would suggest taking it to a shop that has a professional type analyzer/scanner.
The electronics on these cars are very complicated.
Your problem could be anything from a loose wire/connector to a failing computer.
A professional scanner will have the ability to do more than just read codes.

HTML