• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1998 Continental transmission question

Big Old Boy

I have a 1998 I purchase with only 24000 miles five years ago, it now has 70000 should I service the transmission or leave it alone. I love my Lincoln and plan to keep it as long as possible.

bbf2530

I have a 1998 I purchase with only 24000 miles five years ago, it now has 70000 should I service the transmission or leave it alone. I love my Lincoln and plan to keep it as long as possible.
Hi Big Old. Do you know the past history as to if/when the transmission was ever serviced?

Service intervals used to be shorter than nowadays and I am not sure what the service interval was for a 1998 Continental, However, since you have put ~50,000 miles on it, I would say yes, have the transmission properly flushed and filled.

Do you have your Owners Manual and/or the Maintenance Schedule? If not, you can download a PDF version here: Find Your Owner Manual, Warranty & More | Official Lincoln Owner Site

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Big Old Boy

Service history I do not know but it was sold to the same dealer it was purchased from. An elderly lady had the car and when she passed the car was sold back to the dealer no one in the family wanted the car. For the most part it looks like a new car with few problems so it is a keeper.

bbf2530

Hi Big Old. If it were my car, I would have the transmission flushed and filled. Also the radiator etc, if you haven't already done so.

Good luck.

GBM

Is this a transmission which would benefit from the new fluid being Mercon5 ? I have a 95 I need to service and my 2001 Town Car just got the Mercon5 total refill.

HTML