1996 Lincoln Town Car Owner

Thread starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I don't think I would have ever sought out a Lincoln Town Car as my next vehicle, but when someone offered to trade a very nice 1996 Town Car from Texas for my a motorcycle I had $700 in. I couldn't resist.
I never knew how much I would LOVE this car. I am 6'3" and have been jamming myself into standard vehicles for all my life. My Town Car isn't without it's problems...200,000 miles. All four window regulators were non-functional, trunk weatherstripping needs renewed, air suspension has probs (I just replaced with springs), A/C cuts out at high sustained speed, and I just found out last night that the headlights go out sometimes--not cool. Still the car is in such great shape and runs and drives so well, that I think I got a good deal.
I fear that I am hooked on nice, big Lincolns now....

Thread starter #3
Thanks for the info, Driller. My question is, can the $50 replacement switch do the job, or do I have to get the $204 one from Napa? Do you have a recommended source?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome.

RockAuto is a good source: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php select Lincoln then 1996 then Town Car then Electrical switch and relay, you can then look at the options for the relay or the switch. Following are two examples, prices are in Canadian dollars.

They have the light switch for $134: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=43641&cc=1188941 and a headlamp relay for about $17 depending on whether you need a bracket: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=39064&cc=1188941

If you are into testing components before replacing them I can probably find the tests for the lighting switch.

Good luck.

Thread starter #5
Thanks for the links, Town! I do like to test things. I always feel better if I can identify why something is malfunctioning, instead of just replacing all the parts and hoping one of them was the problem.

Thread starter #6
Another thing I am having trouble understanding...A read a lot that the 1996 LTC does not have a headlight relay. Lighting is controlled by the LCM which is mounted above the gas pedal under the dash. So you have the switch in the dash, the LCM, and also, in the little fuse box under the dash above the parking brake, there is a little 18 amp breaker that has something to do with the headlights. If you pull it, the lights will go out.

I see that multiple parts stores carry a headlight relay for the 1996 Town Car. Where can I install this?

Also, My LCM has yellow writing on it like it came out of a scrap yard...So, someone has already replaced the LCM, and the headlight switch is not original either--It looks a little cheap and can move around in the panel a bit. Someone has been down this road before...

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Attached are the promised procedures. I checked the Relay panel and there is nothing for the LCM. The power distribution electrical charts (Cell 13) do not appear to have a relay for the lighting system, so the heavy switching must be in the LCM. So you are probably looking at the light switch or LCM. The light switch tests are covered in the component test document but there is nothing on testing the LCM.

Good luck

Attachments

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Regarding the A/C not operating at high sustained speeds, I think the PCM may be doing this to protect the engine. Here is the supporting information/description for the 1996 Town Car EATC/PCM control of the compressor:

The A/C compressor clutch circuit is energized by the EATC control assembly, but the final control of clutch operation is determined by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) through the use of a normally closed A/C clutch control relay. The A/C clutch can be shut off (or kept off) for several seconds at engine start-up, during high engine speeds, during acceleration, during low engine idle conditions (approximately 200 rpm below idle specs) and when the engine coolant temperature sensor reading exceeds approximately 120ø C (245ø F).

Good luck.

Thread starter #10
Thanks for all the info...I'll look into the LCM. Funny... I learned a lot of tech for working on cars by working on pinball machines. They have electronics that are subject to shock, and are designed for a working life max of about 10 years (preferably less). So if you want to make them work again, you have to diagnose a lot of connector and header pin problems. I'll figure it out eventually, how long it takes is the question...

Thread starter #11
Just to follow up for others with headlight problems.. after investigating the headlight systems, I noticed that both the headlight switch, and the headlight control unit had already been replaced. The small 18 amp breaker in the fuse box under the dash was still the original ford unit. This supplies power to the headlight switch. I replaced it, and the lights haven't turned off yet. My longest trip was 3.5 hours with no blinking. We'll see if they are really fixed after winter...

lissaabostonn

Another thing I am having trouble understanding...A read a lot that the 1996 LTC does not have a headlight relay. Lighting is controlled by the LCM which is mounted above the gas pedal under the dash. So you have the switch in the dash, the LCM, and also, in the little fuse box under the dash above the parking brake, there is a little 18 amp breaker that has something to do with the headlights. If you pull it, the lights will go out.
2013 mercedes benz sl-class

char1746

bright interior signal stays on but right headlight is very dim

Hey Everyone,

I don't think I would have ever sought out a Lincoln Town Car as my next vehicle, but when someone offered to trade a very nice 1996 Town Car from Texas for my a motorcycle I had $700 in. I couldn't resist.
I never knew how much I would LOVE this car. I am 6'3" and have been jamming myself into standard vehicles for all my life. My Town Car isn't without it's problems...200,000 miles. All four window regulators were non-functional, trunk weatherstripping needs renewed, air suspension has probs (I just replaced with springs), A/C cuts out at high sustained speed, and I just found out last night that the headlights go out sometimes--not cool. Still the car is in such great shape and runs and drives so well, that I think I got a good deal.
I fear that I am hooked on nice, big Lincolns now....
They are great cars. Mine has a new issue. last year I replaced headlights with HIDs and they worked great. Then I hit a deer on right side and broke the dim bulb on the right and drove car around for a few weeks getting parts in to repair it. After replacing right headlight assembly bright indicator stays on and right is very dim regardless of switch position. Left headlight is working fine. What do you think?

They are great cars. Mine has a new issue. last year I replaced headlights with HIDs and they worked great. Then I hit a deer on right side and broke the dim bulb on the right and drove car around for a few weeks getting parts in to repair it. After replacing right headlight assembly bright indicator stays on and right is very dim regardless of switch position. Left headlight is working fine. What do you think?
Bad ground on headlamp.circuit.

Whn u hit the deer you probably damaged wiring harness or pinched it against metal frame point

Thread starter #15
Still driving my Lincoln

Just to follow up for others with headlight problems.. after investigating the headlight systems, I noticed that both the headlight switch, and the headlight control unit had already been replaced. The small 18 amp breaker in the fuse box under the dash was still the original ford unit. This supplies power to the headlight switch. I replaced it, and the lights haven't turned off yet. My longest trip was 3.5 hours with no blinking. We'll see if they are really fixed after winter...

This was the problem, because I have driven it for a year now, and the lights have never turned off again. I still don't have the AC fixed, but I am going to get it checked out...

Thread starter #16
Hitting Deer

Bad ground on headlamp.circuit.

Whn u hit the deer you probably damaged wiring harness or pinched it against metal frame point
I agree. You'll have to carefully inspect...

I just hit a deer the other day in broad daylight. I was so pissed. Luckily I managed to scrub off 20mph when I saw it and ended up hitting it at around 30mph. No damage! I lose so many cars to deer...

Didat

I see that multiple parts stores carry a headlight relay for the 1996 Town Car. Where can I install this?

Also, My LCM has yellow writing on it like it came out of a scrap yard...So, someone has already replaced the LCM, and the headlight switch is not original either--It looks a little cheap and can move around in the panel a bit. Someone has been down this road before...
I replaced and
Still driving my Lincoln

This was the problem, because I have driven it for a year now, and the lights have never turned off again. I still don't have the AC fixed, but I am going to get it checked out...
Same hear after replacing the 18 amp breaker haven't had an issue since.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML