1993 Lincoln Continental - Turn Signal, Hazard Lights, and Brake Lights not Working

43fan

Hello:

I am fixing up a 1993 Lincoln Continental Signature. We replaced the rotten out airshocks with the Monroe mechanical conversion kit. We also replaced the gas tank, transmission lines, brake lines, and part of the exhaust.

A new issue just cropped up. The left turn signal was not working. I figured that it was the bulb on the front, since it was not blinking, however, replacing the bulb did not fix the issue. I noted that while the right side blinkers did work most of the time, on occasion, the turn signal would go into the rapid blink mode. Re-engaging the switch would fix the issue.

I figured that I would check the wiring, so I used a multimeter with the blinkers engaged on the left side, but no voltage was coming through. Since the hazards are on a different switch/fuse, I engaged the hazard lights. Weirdly, those did not engage at all. I turned the hazards off and tried putting the turn signal back on. The turn signal now did not engage for either the right or left side. Additionally, the brake lights do not work either, with the exception of the cyclops light in the back window. The headlights work, but I am not sure if the brights switch on or not. I have checked the bulbs, but those seem fine.

I am at a loss what the issue could be. I am going to try doing a power cycle of the battery to see if that does anything (essentially turning the car's electrical system on and off again), but I am not sure if that will resolve the issue. The car has sat for several years, but there's little evidence of mice chewing (there was only a tiny mouse nest in the trunk, which is remarkable for how long it sat around).

Has anyone encountered a similar issue? Perhaps it is the lighting control module, if it has such a part?

Thanks,

43fan

43fan

We did end up figuring out the problem. The hazard switch had some gunk in it (I presume the old lubrication oil or plastic grease that they used to keep the parts from wearing excessively). This gunk led to corrosion within the multifunction switch. Cleaning out the corrosion resolved the issue (although for like $30 on Rockauto, one can get a replacement multifunction switch, which I ended up doing too).

To access the multifunction switch, what I had to do was undo the steering wheel base cover (the plastic shroud over the multifunction switch, ignition key area, and gear selector). Note that the cover has four screws; three are easily accessible on the bottom. The fourth is located behind the lower dash cover. To remove the dash cover, one pries up the horizontal dash trim (the part which has the security system light on the left side portion and the part which has the Air Bag light light on the right side portion). Once that is removed, five screws are taken out - two on the bottom of the dash cover and three located underneath said removed trim pieces. Once the screws are removed, just lift out the dash cover and the fourth screen on the steering column cover is readily seen. Then the plastic just gets separated apart and one can replace the multifunction switch.

HTML