• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1993 Lincoln Continental Executive Series Installed new hub assembly and now transmission problem

Spicoli

A little background on the 1993 Lincoln Continental. It is super low mileage 64,660. So I don't really want to get rid of it. I started driving it in 2018 when it had 53k on it. It had been sitting for a while and my grandfather was able to get it running last summer (2018). I have been driving it since September of 2018. Had the rear brakes done in July and the technician warned me to have the engine mounts checked. Did that recently and had a new P/S lines and pump put in plus all 3 mounts replaced. They warned me on inspection that there was some give in the wheels and that I may have to replace the control arms and wheel bearings. They don't do that work so it wasn't like they were taking me for a ride. My friend and I this past weekend ended up installing new sway bar links, control arms, hubs, and wheel bearings on the front end. So now for the problems:

1) I noticed the wheel studs didn't protrude very far through the rotor and wheel as I was putting the lug nuts on. The wheel studs don't protrude through the lug nuts.

2) I started the car and when I put it in gear the speedometer registers a speed, but the car doesn't move. There was a grinding sound and the car was shaking as well and when I put the car back in park I could hear it still in gear. There was that grinding sound like the gears were still moving.

3) I put the car back up on stands and removed the tires. I could turn the wheels by hand and the axle is turning with it. So I believe the hub assembly installation is correct (but worried about how shallow the lug nuts sit on the wheel studs)

I know I am going to need a professional to look at it, but wondering what errors we could have made when installing the new hub assembly. This seems like a problem caused by us trying to get the control arms installed. It was a bear of a time and we broke a signifcant sweat using a sledgehammer on the ends of the arms trying to hammer them into the brackets on the subframe. It also seemed like the tension strut on the passenger side was causing a lot of problems with our intsallation of the new control arm on that side. We disconnected it from the body and it still took significant effort to get the arm into place in the bracket on that side.

Attached are pics of the driver's side front and rear wheels. Looks like maybe I need about another 1/3 of an inch on the front. Yo ucan clearly see the wheel studs protruding. On the front wheel the lug nuts are still seated back inside the lug nut.

Attachments

Spicoli

I went through O'Reilly's and specifically asked for the hub assembly for a 1993 Lincoln Continental Executive Series. But this cannot be the correct hub though. Just based on the wheel studs. I have not driven it since installation this past weekend for obvious reasons. The front end is currently sitting on jack stands in my garage.

Spicoli

Sure you bought the correct hub? That is extremely dangerous and I would not drive it like that. You are asking to lose a front wheel.
Thanks for the reply. Just confirmed the part number matched my year/make/model. Perhaps the rotor is not fully seated correctly.

islandwoodsie

Listen, i am no Pro mechanic. But, i have had my share of bloody knuckles. First of all, i assume you still have the original hubs. Did you or can you compare them? (or did they want those back for core charge?)
OK, secondly. I have never worked on a front wheel drive Lincoln, but have installed many a transaxle on others FWD's. It "sounds" to me like you may have pulled the splines out of transmission. Which would account for Speedo showing speed at a standstill AND the grinding noise. (I seriously hope you did not damage those.) But, i have had this issue before and upon setting splines properly noise went away and everything was fine.
I can't picture how this would effect wheel stud depth, but it is possible.

HTML