• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1985 Town Car Coolant?

JackCisco

Hi!

I've been scouring the internet for information all over the place for information on what coolant I can put in my Lincoln.
Having researched and researched on all the different coolants, I've come to the following conclusion and wondered what thoughts others here have on this:
  • Original green IAT coolant is very hard to get a hold of, especially in the UK.
  • I haven't found anything that meets Motorcraft's Premium Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrated spec.
  • OAT coolant must NOT be used in vehicles originally equiped with IAT coolant as it will destroy gaskets and lead soldered radiators.
  • HOAT coolant such as G05 used in modern Ford vehicles can be used in vehicles originally equiped with IAT coolant provided you flush the bajeezus out of the system first.
  • I've found some people on various forums that have converted their vehicle to G05 and haven't reported any issues.
  • G05 is extremely available in the UK.

I need to overhaul the cooling system on my Lincoln, including several flushes, replacing the radiator and heater core along with all hoses. Since I literally cannot find any of the original green IAT coolant anywhere that's available to me (aside from 1 seller on eBay in America which costs a fortune) I'm considering changing over to G05 HOAT coolant.

What do you guys think?

JackCisco

Welp, I've bought all the stuff, going to convert it to G05 HOAT.. I'll post any issues I experience as a result here, like leaks springing up everywhere or water pump failing etc.

WISH ME LUCK.

JackCisco

Been running G05 HOAT coolant in it for 3 to 4 weeks now. There's a sneaky leak just appeared which seems to be the intake manifold gasket. I used chemical flush about 6 times so I'm expecting some corrosion to be removed revealing leak holes.
The good thing is that any new gaskets I've put in have not leaked, so I'm not going to count this one and just renew it asap.

HTML