1985 Town Car Coolant?

JackCisco

Hi!

I've been scouring the internet for information all over the place for information on what coolant I can put in my Lincoln.
Having researched and researched on all the different coolants, I've come to the following conclusion and wondered what thoughts others here have on this:
  • Original green IAT coolant is very hard to get a hold of, especially in the UK.
  • I haven't found anything that meets Motorcraft's Premium Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrated spec.
  • OAT coolant must NOT be used in vehicles originally equiped with IAT coolant as it will destroy gaskets and lead soldered radiators.
  • HOAT coolant such as G05 used in modern Ford vehicles can be used in vehicles originally equiped with IAT coolant provided you flush the bajeezus out of the system first.
  • I've found some people on various forums that have converted their vehicle to G05 and haven't reported any issues.
  • G05 is extremely available in the UK.

I need to overhaul the cooling system on my Lincoln, including several flushes, replacing the radiator and heater core along with all hoses. Since I literally cannot find any of the original green IAT coolant anywhere that's available to me (aside from 1 seller on eBay in America which costs a fortune) I'm considering changing over to G05 HOAT coolant.

What do you guys think?

JackCisco

Welp, I've bought all the stuff, going to convert it to G05 HOAT.. I'll post any issues I experience as a result here, like leaks springing up everywhere or water pump failing etc.

WISH ME LUCK.

HTML