1985 Town Car Coolant?

JackCisco

Hi!

I've been scouring the internet for information all over the place for information on what coolant I can put in my Lincoln.
Having researched and researched on all the different coolants, I've come to the following conclusion and wondered what thoughts others here have on this:
  • Original green IAT coolant is very hard to get a hold of, especially in the UK.
  • I haven't found anything that meets Motorcraft's Premium Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrated spec.
  • OAT coolant must NOT be used in vehicles originally equiped with IAT coolant as it will destroy gaskets and lead soldered radiators.
  • HOAT coolant such as G05 used in modern Ford vehicles can be used in vehicles originally equiped with IAT coolant provided you flush the bajeezus out of the system first.
  • I've found some people on various forums that have converted their vehicle to G05 and haven't reported any issues.
  • G05 is extremely available in the UK.

I need to overhaul the cooling system on my Lincoln, including several flushes, replacing the radiator and heater core along with all hoses. Since I literally cannot find any of the original green IAT coolant anywhere that's available to me (aside from 1 seller on eBay in America which costs a fortune) I'm considering changing over to G05 HOAT coolant.

What do you guys think?

JackCisco

Welp, I've bought all the stuff, going to convert it to G05 HOAT.. I'll post any issues I experience as a result here, like leaks springing up everywhere or water pump failing etc.

WISH ME LUCK.

JackCisco

Been running G05 HOAT coolant in it for 3 to 4 weeks now. There's a sneaky leak just appeared which seems to be the intake manifold gasket. I used chemical flush about 6 times so I'm expecting some corrosion to be removed revealing leak holes.
The good thing is that any new gaskets I've put in have not leaked, so I'm not going to count this one and just renew it asap.

JackCisco

So I've finally taken off the intake manifold and cleaned it up a bit, and this is what I found!
1574708545647.png

That is some severe corrosion, and unfortunately to me looks completely unserviceable. The radiator flush must have removed some of the corrosion in that area allowing it to leak.
It just goes to show what can happen when a previous owner decides to run mineral water from the local Walmart for a few years..

This is the head in the same location:
1574708534473.png

It looks like it might be ok once the sealing surface is cleaned up properly.

Makes me wonder what state the head gasket is in though. If I had the facility I'd just rebuild the engine, but unfortunately I don't :(

Other than that, the parts that are new looks absolutely fine.

JackCisco

Thought I'd just update this.

The engine is all back together finally after 7 months with a second hand new after market edelbrock manifold.
IMG_20200304_140913.jpg

I later bought a brand new EGR adapter plate also from edelbrock, so I could fit the new EGR valve.

The head surfaces cleaned up just about good enough.
IMG_20200201_152717.jpg

When putting the intake manifold on, I coated the coolant port areas of the gasket both sides with a thin layer of RTV to get into all those cracks and seal it up. Once the intake manifold was on, there was a very minimal amount of RTV that could be seen squished out that it required no clean up.

A cooling system pressure test revealed another leak from an extremely corroded core plug on the left head at cylinder 1.

This had been leaking for some time as I'd previously cleaned a lot of gunk from it last year, just didn't know where it came from. The hole was no where near as obvious as it is now, hiding behind the air conditioning compressor brackets.

I replaced it with a stainless steel 1-1/2" core plug with a bit of RTV around it.
20200504_180954-COLLAGE.jpg

Further pressure tests of 15-16 psi revealed no further leaks and pressure held fine!

Everything on top is now nicely painted too, with new stainless steel bolts and washers everywhere.
IMG_20200426_191248.jpg

However due to the difference in positioning for certain things on this new manifold I did have to bend a new stainless steel hardline fuel pipe to the throttle body.

I cranked it multiple times for 10 seconds a time to get oil circulating without the ignition control module connected and spark plugs out.

Started it up, ran on the first crank, no valve train clicking or any other noises! As if it hadn't been sat for 7 months!

A few starts later the exhaust is now completely clear on cold starts!

Final result is a good starting car, no leaks with modern Ford G05 coolant and a much nicer engine bay!
IMG_20200519_182500.jpg

For anyone searching, the Edelbrock manifold is part number 3721 comes with the EGR adapter plate brand new. Fits on every Ford 302 Windsor engine.
The EGR adapter plate itself is part number 8057.
Took me SO long to find something aftermarket that was suitable, hopefully I can save someone else that time.

Last edited:

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Thought I'd just update this.

The engine is all back together finally after 7 months with a second hand new after market edelbrock manifold.
View attachment 7828

I later bought a brand new EGR adapter plate also from edelbrock, so I could fit the new EGR valve.

The head surfaces cleaned up just about good enough.
View attachment 7827

When putting the intake manifold on, I coated the coolant port areas of the gasket both sides with a thin layer of RTV to get into all those cracks and seal it up. Once the intake manifold was on, there was a very minimal amount of RTV that could be seen squished out that it required no clean up.

A cooling system pressure test revealed another leak from an extremely corroded core plug on the left head at cylinder 1.

This had been leaking for some time as I'd previously cleaned a lot of gunk from it last year, just didn't know where it came from. The hole was no where near as obvious as it is now, hiding behind the air conditioning compressor brackets.

I replaced it with a stainless steel 1-1/2" core plug with a bit of RTV around it.
View attachment 7826

Further pressure tests of 15-16 psi revealed no further leaks and pressure held fine!

Everything on top is now nicely painted too, with new stainless steel bolts and washers everywhere.
View attachment 7829

However due to the difference in positioning for certain things on this new manifold I did have to bend a new stainless steel hardline fuel pipe to the throttle body.

I cranked it multiple times for 10 seconds a time to get oil circulating without the ignition control module connected and spark plugs out.

Started it up, ran on the first crank, no valve train clicking or any other noises! As if it hadn't been sat for 7 months!

A few starts later the exhaust is now completely clear on cold starts!

Final result is a good starting car, no leaks with modern Ford G05 coolant and a much nicer engine bay!
View attachment 7830

For anyone searching, the Edelbrock manifold is part number 3721 comes with the EGR adapter plate brand new. Fits on every Ford 302 Windsor engine.
The EGR adapter plate itself is part number 8057.
Took me SO long to find something aftermarket that was suitable, hopefully I can save someone else that time.
Hi, JackCisco.

Glad to read that you have solved your cooling issue and that your Town Car is back on the road. I'm sure that you don't see too many like it in the UK. What part of the UK do you live in?

The below article is a short "history" of the Small Block Ford V8, some of which were also installed in Sunbeams and Saleens, along with marine applications.

Wikipedia article on the Small Block Ford

The 302 is still available from Ford Racing and Performance Parts as a "crate engine."

Thanks.

JackCisco

Hi, JackCisco.

Glad to read that you have solved your cooling issue and that your Town Car is back on the road. I'm sure that you don't see too many like it in the UK. What part of the UK do you live in?

The below article is a short "history" of the Small Block Ford V8, some of which were also installed in Sunbeams and Saleens, along with marine applications.

Wikipedia article on the Small Block Ford

The 302 is still available from Ford Racing and Performance Parts as a "crate engine."

Thanks.

Thanks! You're right, I've been to lots of car shows here mostly classics and I've not once seen this car, so I think it's safe to say there aren't many here! I live in south England.

Thanks for the article, I'll take a look.

I didn't know Ford Racing still sold the 302, I'll have to check that out in case I ever want to put a replacement motor in.

HTML