1983 Continental 32,000 Miles, window motor replacement

islandwoodsie

Hi everybody. I recently bought a peach of a car but it has sat for many years. I don't think this car has ever even been out in the rain.
I am trying to get her all fixed up and roadworthy. The drivers door window quit functioning AS i was looking at it to buy. The motor works, but window just kind of bumps up and down.
Anyways, i watched a video, it said drill out the two rivets in door to remove motor. Well that was WRONG. I have changed all the motors on my 88 C.Vic and if i remember right you have to drill holes where the indents are? But, when i reach my hand down there it does NOT seem that the motor is WAY down there where the indents are.
I cannot seem to find a video that is pertinent to my yr/model. Can anybody help?

Also, where i drilled those two lower rivets out, i sure hope i can either rivet those from the outside in, OR use small screws/bolts/whatever.

Attachments

04TC

Tampa, FL
I have changed all the motors on my 88 C.Vic and if i remember right you have to drill holes where the indents are? But, when i reach my hand down there it does NOT seem that the motor is WAY down there where the indents are.
According to Wikipedia, your model year of Continental is a Fox body platform car (along with Mustang, Continental, Mark VII) and not a Panther body platform (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car). So that could be why the window motor appears to be in a different location than the '88 Crown Vic.

On Youtube it doesn't appear there are any videos for your model year, or maybe I didn't look hard enough. The '82-'87 Continentals all have the same body, so they should all have the same location of the window motors. Yes I would try to get a shop manual if I was in your position. Sorry I can't be of more help.

islandwoodsie

Thanks so much for your reply. I also looked high and low for a video with no success. So, i did what i knew worked before and drilled out the 3 factory indents and low and behold there were the 3 bolts holding the motor in. Well naturally the parts store had given me the passenger side motor so i had to run back down to the parts store and get the right one.
Well, while searching for a instructional video i found this amazing gem of a video so i decided, why not try it? Well folks it works, i fixed my motor for FREE. Well, no not free the ball bearings cost me $1.50 at the local hardware store. I did not read the Complete rules of this Forum so i apologize if this is not allowed to share links in here. But here is a great trick for all you old "FORD" type vehicles lovers/enthusiasts.

ps: I got a friend to put some 1/4 by 1/4" rivets in the rivet holes i originally drilled that hold the regulator in place. And, now i get to return the $55 motor i got on second trip. woot woot

HTML