• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1983 Continental 32,000 Miles, window motor replacement

islandwoodsie

Hi everybody. I recently bought a peach of a car but it has sat for many years. I don't think this car has ever even been out in the rain.
I am trying to get her all fixed up and roadworthy. The drivers door window quit functioning AS i was looking at it to buy. The motor works, but window just kind of bumps up and down.
Anyways, i watched a video, it said drill out the two rivets in door to remove motor. Well that was WRONG. I have changed all the motors on my 88 C.Vic and if i remember right you have to drill holes where the indents are? But, when i reach my hand down there it does NOT seem that the motor is WAY down there where the indents are.
I cannot seem to find a video that is pertinent to my yr/model. Can anybody help?

Also, where i drilled those two lower rivets out, i sure hope i can either rivet those from the outside in, OR use small screws/bolts/whatever.

Attachments

04TC

Tampa, FL
I have changed all the motors on my 88 C.Vic and if i remember right you have to drill holes where the indents are? But, when i reach my hand down there it does NOT seem that the motor is WAY down there where the indents are.
According to Wikipedia, your model year of Continental is a Fox body platform car (along with Mustang, Continental, Mark VII) and not a Panther body platform (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car). So that could be why the window motor appears to be in a different location than the '88 Crown Vic.

On Youtube it doesn't appear there are any videos for your model year, or maybe I didn't look hard enough. The '82-'87 Continentals all have the same body, so they should all have the same location of the window motors. Yes I would try to get a shop manual if I was in your position. Sorry I can't be of more help.

islandwoodsie

Thanks so much for your reply. I also looked high and low for a video with no success. So, i did what i knew worked before and drilled out the 3 factory indents and low and behold there were the 3 bolts holding the motor in. Well naturally the parts store had given me the passenger side motor so i had to run back down to the parts store and get the right one.
Well, while searching for a instructional video i found this amazing gem of a video so i decided, why not try it? Well folks it works, i fixed my motor for FREE. Well, no not free the ball bearings cost me $1.50 at the local hardware store. I did not read the Complete rules of this Forum so i apologize if this is not allowed to share links in here. But here is a great trick for all you old "FORD" type vehicles lovers/enthusiasts.

ps: I got a friend to put some 1/4 by 1/4" rivets in the rivet holes i originally drilled that hold the regulator in place. And, now i get to return the $55 motor i got on second trip. woot woot

HTML