1977 Town Car Window Track

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Clark

Need help! My 1977 TC power windows work, but when the WING window gets down to the point the full window begins moving down there is a loud noise like something catches. It does this on BOTH SIDES of the car's front windows. Finally, last week the WING window glass came apart from the frame that guides it. Luckily NO glass broke. I took it to a body shop, they pulled the door panel and put the glass back in the track guide with adhesive and a week later it came apart again! Also, when the door panel was off, there was a GREEN plastic ball-shaped plastic piece that was in two parts laying in the bottom of the door. Could that be part of the issue? Where do I get repair parts for these windows??? Thanks!

T. J.

I have had exact same problem(s) with my 1979 Continental TC. A loud bang when putting window down as WING reaches bottom and mechanism shifts to lower the full window. An apparently separate problem is the WING glass coming apart from it's frame.

I removed door panel on driver side and lubed everything in sight with silicone grease. The bang is now a little less, but still bothersome.

The WING window has a small 90 degree arm near the bottom of its frame to hold the glass in place. The arm has a "U" shaped channel lined with rubber; which is of course now dry, brittle, and worthless to hold the glass secure. I put generous amount of adhesive into the frame and arm, then duct taped the glass to the bottom arm. Also, lowered the upper stop on the WING window. It seems that when you put the WING up all the way, if the motor does not stop soon enough, the momentum tends to push the glass loose from it's frame by counter clockwise torque at the bottom arm. (Then the next time you lower WING, it falls out completely) Anyway, you can't lower the stop too much since there is no upper window frame and the glass has to sit perfectly on the upper rubber window gasket, or it will leak. But, I believe this step helps. Also, lubed with silicone grease the track on opposite side of frame where it has to slide up and down the main window.

Since I made the repair 2 months ago, I am very careful to take my finger off the window button the instant it reaches full up. So far, so good, but I feel I will have to revisit the issue at some future date and would be glad to know how this issue has been conquered "officially" by anyone more savvy than me.

BTW: No Green Plastic Balls anywhere on mine, but would be curious to know if you find out what that is.

455hota

Hi there Clark and TJ,

I am a new member here. I have a 79 Lincoln Continental 4 door sedan, with the front power vent windows. My driver's vent window has come loose from the rear trim/track as described above. I too have the loud clunk when the vent window reaches the bottom of its travel, before the main window starts to move down.

I have the service manual on CD and used it to follow the directions to remove both the vent window and the main window. These are supposed to go in and come out as an assembly (both together).

Before I took out the main window, I was able to cycle the main window up and down with the vent window removed. I still had the loud clunk with out the vent window in place. Then I removed the main window. Then I cycled the mechanism up and down with no glass installed. Guess what? No clunk! I am still trying to understand why when the main window is attached to the mechanism that it clunks. Hopefully more to come.

And Clark, here are your green plastic balls:
IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0283.JPG
They are on the out board side of the main glass. I am guessing some sort of bump stop.

...Steve T.

T. J.

Hey Steve T-

Thanks for posting on this issue. Did you replace the whole vent-main window unit? My repair is still holding, but I just took the '79 Lincoln out yesterday for the first time since November 2020. If I make it through the summer, I'll be surprised, but grateful.

455hota

TJ,
I have removed the original main glass and the mini vent glass from my drivers front door. On my mini vent glass, the rear trim piece was barely attached. Once I got it out it was evident that someone tried a hack fix to re-adhere the rear trim piece but it did not work. This trim piece was held in place originally by placing a specific thickness of rubber along the edge of the glass. Then the glass is pushed into the trim piece. The rubber on both sides of the glass hold it all together. The small bottom bracket is held in the same way.
From my experience it is hard to get the trim piece back on using the OEM method. I am going to try a carefully applied bead of windshield urethane adhesive to re-apply the trim piece. I will keep you posted.
I still have to figure out the clunk issue. If anyone has any direction on the clunk please let me know.
Thanks... Steve T

455hota

Update: I found an NOS drivers side mini vent window for my 79 Lincoln continental towncar. It has the main window channel piece attached. But I have to transfer the regulator roller channel.
CCBE786D-C217-466C-A221-8489AD8D73CE.jpeg
Also I replaced the passenger front peer window motor. The mini vent and main window move up and down now. But this window set up has the same “clunk” noise. This clunk occurs as soon as the mini vent is fully down and the main window starts moving down. When the main window goes back up and the vent window starts moving up, there is no clunk.
So both sides are making the same clunk.
My car is a 28000 mile original paint vehicle. I can’t believe these windows are worn out, so why do I have this clunk? I do have the door panels off so the clunk is louder, but I can’t believe Ford would have engineered this loud clunk into this design. Can anyone post a video of the mini vent working with not clunk? Thanks... Steve T

455hota

Update: I found an NOS drivers side mini vent window for my 79 Lincoln continental towncar. It has the main window channel piece attached. But I have to transfer the regulator roller channel.
View attachment 10042
Also I replaced the passenger front peer window motor. The mini vent and main window move up and down now. But this window set up has the same “clunk” noise. This clunk occurs as soon as the mini vent is fully down and the main window starts moving down. When the main window goes back up and the vent window starts moving up, there is no clunk.
So both sides are making the same clunk.
My car is a 28000 mile original paint vehicle. I can’t believe these windows are worn out, so why do I have this clunk? I do have the door panels off so the clunk is louder, but I can’t believe Ford would have engineered this loud clunk into this design. Can anyone post a video of the mini vent working with not clunk? Thanks... Steve T
Final update!!!
The clunk has been solved!
I found an adjustment with the window mechanism that eliminates the clunk as the mini vent window stops moving and the main window starts moving. I have attached two pics. The first is a wide view of the inside door with the door panel and water shield removed. I circled the magic adjustment. The second pic is a close up of the magic adjustment. If the adjustment bolt is up high (see the witness marks where mine was), the window will clunk. If the adjustment bolt is down at the bottom the clunk will be gone, but the window will not seal in the upper weather strip. I think over time the mechanism moves out of the sweet spot and if it clunks it needs to be adjusted back. You have to be patient and find the sweet spot that balances the whole window system. Now both my mini vent /main vent window go up and down quietly!!!
Good Luck... Steve T.

Attachments

• F019601A-7E65-453C-87B8-8BA9E3BEEE8A.jpeg
    F019601A-7E65-453C-87B8-8BA9E3BEEE8A.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 5B5369CE-4D90-44D9-8FE1-451B59175C1C.jpeg
    5B5369CE-4D90-44D9-8FE1-451B59175C1C.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 2

s harrup

Final update!!!
The clunk has been solved!
I found an adjustment with the window mechanism that eliminates the clunk as the mini vent window stops moving and the main window starts moving. I have attached two pics. The first is a wide view of the inside door with the door panel and water shield removed. I circled the magic adjustment. The second pic is a close up of the magic adjustment. If the adjustment bolt is up high (see the witness marks where mine was), the window will clunk. If the adjustment bolt is down at the bottom the clunk will be gone, but the window will not seal in the upper weather strip. I think over time the mechanism moves out of the sweet spot and if it clunks it needs to be adjusted back. You have to be patient and find the sweet spot that balances the whole window system. Now both my mini vent /main vent window go up and down quietly!!!
Good Luck... Steve T.
Ive had a 77 town coupe since new, i got tired of replacing these over the years and converted to a 1 piece glass. The mini vent option was a option and in 98% of all town cars. from 75-79 i think. Unfortunately the regulator has to be changed for this to work and there hard as hell to find now....