1971 Lincoln courtesy light issues

steeler80

I recently got a 1971 Lincoln Continental. All of the inside, courtesy lights were working except the one for the passenger floorboard. When I tried to remove the bulb, it came out of the base which was really stuck inside the housing. I first used a little electronics cleaner and then ended up having to use some blast and needle nose pliers to get the base out. But now, none of the interior lights are working. I checked the fuse, which wasn't blown, lightly sanded the tabs where the fuse fits and tried another fuse (I didn't have another 20 that would fit so I used a 30 that was the right size). Still nothing.

I'm guessing that I messed something up when trying to get the bulb out but wouldn't it have just blown the fuse if I had shorted something? Any other things I can check?

sean_p_lynch

Chicago, USA
how many wires going into the bulb under the passenger dash?
Maybe the work you did exposed some wire and you now have a short.

You may need to cut the wires and splice in a new bulb socket.

Why am I reminded of old Christmastimes and having to inspect the wiring for the tree?

steeler80

I think there's two wires. I don't see any exposed wires but it may be further under the dash. I did check the power going through the fuse and there is power at the fuse.

I forgot to mention that I did have to take the socket free from the dash in order to be able to see enough to get the old light out. I tried to not pull on the wires but maybe I pulled something loose. I'll have to contort myself and get under there to where I can see under the dash.

Last edited:

steeler80

Took the glove box out and jiggled the wires going into the fuse box and the lights came on. So it's s loose connection at the fuse box. So I'm going to steel myself up to tackling taking out the fuse box and finding the loose connection.

HTML