• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1971 Lincoln courtesy light issues

steeler80

I recently got a 1971 Lincoln Continental. All of the inside, courtesy lights were working except the one for the passenger floorboard. When I tried to remove the bulb, it came out of the base which was really stuck inside the housing. I first used a little electronics cleaner and then ended up having to use some blast and needle nose pliers to get the base out. But now, none of the interior lights are working. I checked the fuse, which wasn't blown, lightly sanded the tabs where the fuse fits and tried another fuse (I didn't have another 20 that would fit so I used a 30 that was the right size). Still nothing.

I'm guessing that I messed something up when trying to get the bulb out but wouldn't it have just blown the fuse if I had shorted something? Any other things I can check?

sean_p_lynch

Chicago, USA
how many wires going into the bulb under the passenger dash?
Maybe the work you did exposed some wire and you now have a short.

You may need to cut the wires and splice in a new bulb socket.

Why am I reminded of old Christmastimes and having to inspect the wiring for the tree?

steeler80

I think there's two wires. I don't see any exposed wires but it may be further under the dash. I did check the power going through the fuse and there is power at the fuse.

I forgot to mention that I did have to take the socket free from the dash in order to be able to see enough to get the old light out. I tried to not pull on the wires but maybe I pulled something loose. I'll have to contort myself and get under there to where I can see under the dash.

Last edited:

steeler80

Took the glove box out and jiggled the wires going into the fuse box and the lights came on. So it's s loose connection at the fuse box. So I'm going to steel myself up to tackling taking out the fuse box and finding the loose connection.

steeler80

Took the fuse box out and the tab on the fuse box where the wire connected had all but rusted off. So I ran the wire around to the front of the box and that solved the issue for now. The problem is that there is several more places where the back has quite a bit of rust at the contact points. If I could find a fuse box in better condition, I could wire it in and probably solve several issues. Does anyone know where I could locate a good box? Did anything else have the same box or is it specific to the mark iii?

HTML