lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Lighting control module 2001 Lincoln Town Car

Question Lighting control module 2001 Lincoln Town Car

Remove this ad
    Love my town car and want to keep it as long as possible.

It failed inspection because the headlights won't turn on. Garage thinks it's the Light Control Module. The part is discontinued, so I found one on Ebay. Hope to get it in a few days and will drop the part off at the garage in hopes of getting the car repaired.

Anyone have any experience with this part? Does it just need to be installed or are there a lot of complicated things that need to be done?

Posting on other forums and sites to see what kinds of responses pop up.

L

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by laurentkm2 View Post
    Love my town car and want to keep it as long as possible.

It failed inspection because the headlights won't turn on. Garage thinks it's the Light Control Module. The part is discontinued, so I found one on Ebay. Hope to get it in a few days and will drop the part off at the garage in hopes of getting the car repaired.

Anyone have any experience with this part? Does it just need to be installed or are there a lot of complicated things that need to be done?

Posting on other forums and sites to see what kinds of responses pop up.

L
    Did you change the headlamp bulbs before you got this problem? The LCM is sensitive to the power requirements of bulbs and will not power the bulbs if not compatible with Ford specs. Have you checked the fuses in the passenger compartment holder? The fuses you want to check are: Fuse #1 of 10A, Fuse #3 of 10A, Fuse #9 of 20A and fuse #31 of 7.5A; that control the low beam left and right and the high beams and light switch and multi-function switch for the LCM. Have you checked the connection to the headlamps since they can suffer from corrosion (happened on my 2007 TC).

If the fuses and connections are good, then the 3 headlamp functions: low beam, high beam and flash to pass need to be verified as working or not. If none of them work then it is likely an LCM problem. Otherwise it could be the light switch or the multi-function switch. The test for the LCM is a scan tool. There are tests for the light switch and the multi-function switch.

The LCM is programmed for the vehicle and its features, less so for 2002 and earlier but there are more LCM features for the 2003 and up LCM. The normal procedure for a shop is to upload the existing LCM software to the scan-tool, remove the LCM and install the "new" LCM. A brand new LCM comes with a DTC already set and the installation of the software removes the DTC. If the LCM is from another vehicle then the software stored in the scan-tool is downloaded to the LCM and it should work correctly.

A new factory LCM is quite expensive but it will work. A used LCM may or may not work because of internal problems so you take a chance.

Good luck.