lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: First week with my Continental
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone View Post
    Sorry about your experience.. Hopefully they will have it fixed in no time.

There has been some consternation about that switch location. Many reviewers complain about the location and that it's "inconvenient to push with your finger"...but if you look at it and where it's located, IMO it was designed to be pushed with your thumb as you grab that door handle... and just give it a push with the thumb. Any thoughts? IMO it didn't bother me in either of my test drives.
    The location of the door latch release switch is perfect; as you say, you press the switch with your thumb while you have your hand wrapped around the door pull and push the door open with your hand, not your thumb. I cannot imagine why anyone would use their finger to press the button.

Today I drove a MKC which has the forward mechanical latch release handle so you then need a second hand to open the door so that the wind doesn't force it against the car beside you. That is such an old design that never worked well but was all that was available. The Mercedes S class also have the same electric latch release as the Continental although I don't know how it works. The Continental is a brilliant design and execution of the one handed controlled exit from any seat in the car.

I have read reviews that were not favourable of the electric latch release, but I cannot understand why, and the reviewers did not explain their angst with this design.

The other issue with much the same reviewers is the push button shifter "since a wrong button could be pressed". I like the Lincoln press button shifter a lot, one press on the button you want and it lights and you are there where you want to be and never a mistake. I have tried a number of the new electronic shifters, Jeep is the worst since you cannot tell what gear you have selected since it can sometimes move again after you think you stopped pushing it to the side. The others require a sequential movement of a knob until you find the right place to stop, so it mimics a mechanical column shifter which makes me wonder why they made it electronic. Lincoln have the only shifter that is foolproof and a major improvement over the mechanical shifter. And the Lincoln approach frees up a lot of storage space in the center console that the levers and knobs require.

Yup! Perhaps I was unclear. Push the button with your thumb and push the door open with one hand. Brilliant! And I too, like the push-button trans selector on the dash. Simple, easy to get right, and no stupid rising rotary puck like Jaguar/Range Rover. (sorry, JLR fans, and I like their cars, too)

IMO an awful lot of forethought went into the coverall environment for the driver and passengers. Thanks, Town.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Found out the power headrests in the rear outboard positions do not raise by power or manually. They just flip down either by power or manually.

Tried the AWD display in the dash. Surprised to find the car is powered by all 4 wheels when starting off, and the rear wheel drive diminishes after 30 KPH (19 MPH) and is only front wheel drive by 40 KPH (25 MPH) in dry summer weather. So now I know why the system works so well in the winter on other Lincolns.

Just turned on the lane keeping feature. Now set for warning (steering wheel vibration) and assist (move steering so car tracks center of lane). I have not noticed any difference so far and I have been on several roads with different markings, some had 3 lanes and no visible markings. So quite pleased so far.

Navigation works very well and is particularly easy to use. Some recent development in my area is visible on Google but not on my navigation system at all.

The collision assist feature shows a number of red lights where the HID display would be and sounds a loud noise and even brakes the car as you get close to a vehicle in front that is slowing unexpectedly without brake lights. A car cutting in front and accelerating has no effect.

So all these features that take some of the driving away from you actually just enhance the driving experience since they react so quickly and so well. I am surprised and happy so far.

Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Don't adapt too quickly to the technology. Driving is the fun part of the car experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    Don't adapt too quickly to the technology. Driving is the fun part of the car experience.
    Hmm. I like driving and figured the new technology would take some of that away so I did not order it. Now that I have it by happenstance I like it, it does not interfere with the driving experience as I thought it would. There is just so much information available to help you understand what is going on in the car it is enthralling. It enhances the driving experience for me.

This is not at all like the bleeding edge of self driving cars where the person behind the wheel has to intervene up to 32 times in every kilometer to avoid an accident. In the real world the stats required to be published show manufacturers are a long way from prime time driverless cars. At some future point however I may be happy to buy one to keep my mobility so I think it worthwhile to understand the technology and not be in fear of it.

Good luck.

Can you imagine how the different beeps and chimes could be distracting?

Can you imagine how the different beeps and chimes could be distracting?
    I find I get used to the different tones over a week or two and then it is just another input for me. No problem at all. In my Town Car my wife once forgot to do up her seat belt and after about 10 minutes on a very quiet country road a shrill bell went off and a red seat belt light on the dash. Now that was distracting for a few seconds, I think because of the surprise element and not knowing what it was about. So I try everything.

Good luck.

Did a 350 kilometer (218 miles) day trip yesterday. Filled up with regular gas and the computer says I averaged 7.9 liters per 100 kilometers which is 30 miles per US gallon. Mostly hwy driving on country roads with a few small towns and scenic stops along the way. That is better than I expected but I drove the speed limit and very few significant accelerations. The fuel tank is spec'd at 68 liters (18 gallons) and seems to use 17 liters (4.5 gallons) for every quarter tank according to the fill-ups that I have done. Gauge is consistent with this trip fuel usage showing well above a half tank remaining.

The Nav system does not recognise new developments in my area, but works great otherwise. It is easier to use than my Garmin Nuvi 66lm or my 6 inch Tom Tom and way more usefull features. I liked the 3 choices for the route: fastest, shortest and scenic; the scenic is great for ambling through the countryside avioding major roads. Large screen with separate display on right of dash for direction and distance to junctions is a much less distracting approach. It found all my places of interest. So no problems for me.

The 3 zone HVAC system is very quiet yet cools the car quickly after parking in sun, even with the sunshade open. Gets the temperature to the target setting without a lot of cold air directed at you, just cools the cabin generally. Ambient temperature was only 27 C and humid so not hot at all; we are having a very slow start to spring, and only a month to summer.

Front passenger door interior electric latch switch to be replaced tomorrow.

What is your current odometer reading? Seems you drive quite a bit everyday.

Remove this ad
    What is your current odometer reading? Seems you drive quite a bit everyday.
    My odometer reading is 1,200 kilometers (746 miles) in a month of ownership, which is about average for me. My car is driven almost every day but no commuting just shopping or trips or picking up the grand-kids.

Good luck.