lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Transmission pan filter?
    antonioraph is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 1989 Lincoln town car

Transmission pan filter?

Remove this ad
    two questions lincoln people!

first what transmission filter kit do/did you use on your lincoln? i have a 1989 lincoln town car and i bought a kit from auto zone but the gasket didn't fit right. before i order another one i wanna know which one is right. help me out.

second there was no magnet in my pan is that bad? and how do i go about getting one?

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by antonioraph View Post
    two questions lincoln people!

first what transmission filter kit do/did you use on your lincoln? i have a 1989 lincoln town car and i bought a kit from auto zone but the gasket didn't fit right. before i order another one i wanna know which one is right. help me out.

second there was no magnet in my pan is that bad? and how do i go about getting one?
    I have not changed the trans oil on an AOD trans such as on your car. If in doubt about a part get one from a Ford/Lincoln dealer since they have one that will fit properly and be of good quality to last a long time. The AODE (4R70W) trans has a magnet in the bottom of the pan which you can see in this writeup: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tec...Filter-Change/ but I don't know if your AOD had this thick washer type magnet or not. If it did then you would likely see a mounting place for it and it just sits there. Your Ford/Lincoln dealer can likely confirm this and get you the proper magnet.

Current practice is to flush the trans on a regular basis to keep the oil clean and some dealers also change the filter too although Ford says the filters will last many flushes. The problem with just dropping the pan is that only drains a few liters of the total capacity. The torque converter holds a lot but may not have a drain plug. Does yours?

Good luck.

antonioraph is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 1989 Lincoln town car
    Remove this ad
    yeah i got a filter from lincoln the other day. the torque converter does have a drain plug on it i didn't have time to drain it but i did drop the pan. there didn't seem to be a mounting place for a magnet and i forgot to ask the dealer. tomorrow i plan on it