Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: New Lincoln LS8 owner with questions
    Physics_Outlaw is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2006 Lincoln LS V8

New Lincoln LS8 owner with questions

Remove this ad
    I just picked up a 2006 and it failed emissions (smog test) due to the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is broken or not functioning. The car is an 8 out of 10 with lots of Ford dealership service records and appears to have been garage kept. It was in a jurisdiction where emissions were not required. I checked all of the fuses in (3) locations and found (1) burned out for the center console power point. I like to do my own repairs when they are feasible.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it difficult to change the check engine light bulb in the instrument panel?
    2. Which OBD II scanner do you recommend for a moderate budget?
    3. Where do you normally shop for parts besides RockAuto?
    4. Which service manual do you recommend that I purchase?

Thanks in advance for your consideration on these topics and I am happy to be a new member of this group.

(1) Go here: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file...tm~gen~ref.htm and then here: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file...tm~gen~ref.htm
    (2) I have a 120 dollar one from Auto-Zone. Anything it won't cover I g to Ford for a scan. Look up FORSCAN app......it comes highly recommended too.
    (3) Use FoMoCo or motorcraft for any ignition or cooling system parts.
    For alternator use Motorcraft or Ford. Do NOT use cheap aftermarket coil on plugs. Motorcraft is best.
    (4) Check on Ebay for genuine FoMoCo shop manuals. There seem to be a set of 3 books. don-ohio (:^)

This is great info Don. I sincerely appreciate it. I read some posts earlier and see that you have figured out how to mitigate some common and recurring issues with these vehicles. I hope to get at least (5) years out of the one that I just purchased. Thank you very much for your response.

Like I said I some of those posts,you can put off the cooling system probs if you have no leaks at present. Just strengthen your antifreeze mixture to 60-65% antifreeze and 35-40% distilled water. Then you can loosen the degas bottle cap and run with zero pressure. This prevents negative pressure also which sucks air in thru microcracks as engine cools when you have the cap tight.
    I have stressed this is not for 50/50 mix as it might boil.
    Also I wouldn't do this method in high altitudes or desert heat.
    A good compromise would be to get a 7lb. Degas cap if you can find one. But this still stresses the cooling system plastics.
    I'm running all my vehicles and even my backhoe unpressurized and have no overheating probs or leaks with my 2 LSes and the other vehicles. don-ohio (:^)

Quote Originally Posted by don-ohio View Post
    (1) Go here: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file...tm~gen~ref.htm and then here: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file...tm~gen~ref.htm
    (2) I have a 120 dollar one from Auto-Zone. Anything it won't cover I g to Ford for a scan. Look up FORSCAN app......it comes highly recommended too.
    (3) Use FoMoCo or motorcraft for any ignition or cooling system parts.
    For alternator use Motorcraft or Ford. Do NOT use cheap aftermarket coil on plugs. Motorcraft is best.
    (4) Check on Ebay for genuine FoMoCo shop manuals. There seem to be a set of 3 books. don-ohio (:^)
    The links you provided gave me a good base to understand what needed to be done. It took me (6) hours to change the measly check engine light. Now it's time for the drive cycle (keeping fingers crossed) and then another emissions (smog) test.

Yeah,keep at it. I hope everything comes out good for you. don-ohio (:^)

Quote Originally Posted by don-ohio View Post
    Yeah,keep at it. I hope everything comes out good for you. don-ohio (:^)
    Passed emissions (smog) test today. No codes came up after drive cycle. Thanks for the help on this.

Remove this ad
    You're welcome! Glad it passed! don-ohio