lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: The New Continental has weakened sales.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs

The New Continental has weakened sales.

Remove this ad
    http://247wallst.com/autos/2017/04/0...ntal-sputters/

Ford Motor Co.’s (NYSE: F) Lincoln brand suffered a setback in March as sales dropped 1.4% to 9,554. The new flagship Continental had sales of only 963. The car was not for sale in March of last year.

Lincoln sales for the first three months of the year were up 8.7% to 27,083. Continental sales were 3,209, and the car was not for sale during the first three months of 2016.

The figures were particularly poor in light of Continental’s competition. The new Cadillac flagship CT6 sold 968 units in March, BMW sold 3,161 units of its 5 Series, Mercedes sold 4,690 of its E-Class/CLS line (which includes a sedan, coupe and crossover) and Audi sold 1,576 of its A6 model.

The “all new” Lincoln Continental has been presented as a major cornerstone of a turnaround of the Lincoln Motor Company by president Kumar Galhotra. Instead, in the United States, it is one of the slowest selling cars in its category.

I'm confident sales will pick up as more and more people see the Continental on the road. It may take some time to take off but I think it will. A lot of people have forgotten about Lincoln since the Town Car went away...

I see Cadillac is still playing the in-between game with the CT6 competing against the 5-Series and E-Class...
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your next Lincoln for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Asked the sales people at my dealership about the Conti sales. Most of the personnel agreed about the lack of incentives on the Conti may have hurt the sales numbers. They said people want the incentives that they are used to getting. Since there are no incentives on the Conti , there are lack luster sales.
    Apparently American cars sell better with incentives.

4. Understandable as i see it. Although i like this vehicle, there is no way I'm handing over $ 83,000 + 13% Tax (Canada). If i wanted to drop that much, I'd be looking hard at BMW and Mercedes as well.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Understandable as i see it. Although i like this vehicle, there is no way I'm handing over $ 83,000 + 13% Tax (Canada). If i wanted to drop that much, I'd be looking hard at BMW and Mercedes as well.
    That price is very high, must have every option. When you look at what you need (as opposed to what is available) the price will drop dramatically.

In the production process you need to allow for the Airbag module recall that affected Continentals produced before 1 March 2017, some of which would normally be sold in March. Those models could not be sold due to the recall so there was a major production disruption covering the sales period quoted. Lots of aspects to consider in early production of a new model.

March sales dropped for cars from 41 to 37% . The SUV market continued to climb. However if the price of gasoline increases then the demand for SUVs may go down. However a Ford spokesman commented that worldwide the car demand is still high. Maybe the Chinese market will boost the sakes of the Conti?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    That price is very high, must have every option. When you look at what you need (as opposed to what is available) the price will drop dramatically.
    Yes, but who buys a bare bones vehicle without additional options, especially in that price range.
    Select starting price is 57,000 and the Reserve starts at 61,000. Still pretty high as is.

Are your base prices for the Conti thst much higher than in the US? What about the Premier? Is that model available? You can pick and choose additional options to get your price point, but remember a lot of extras are already included in the base price. So you don't get a sun roof or the 30 way power seats, you still have a lot of great features in this car!

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Yes, but who buys a bare bones vehicle without additional options, especially in that price range.
    Select starting price is 57,000 and the Reserve starts at 61,000. Still pretty high as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    Are your base prices for the Conti thst much higher than in the US? What about the Premier? Is that model available? You can pick and choose additional options to get your price point, but remember a lot of extras are already included in the base price. So you don't get a sun roof or the 30 way power seats, you still have a lot of great features in this car!
    The Premier is not sold in Canada. The choice is: Select with 2.7 direct injection twin turbo AWD at $56,900 plus delivery; or the Reserve with same 2.7 engine and AWD at $60,400 plus delivery. The 3 liter with AWD and torque vectoring is an option at a little over $3,000, but comes with much lower final drive of 3.39:1 compared to 2.77:1 for the 2.7 liter so the 2.7 should be more frugal for my driving.

My car is the Reserve and the only option is the tri-coat white paint for $700. It has the 13 speaker Revel audio system, 24 way leather seats and tri-zone HVAC, Sync 3 with navigation and automated trunk operation. I did not want the moon roof at $2,200 because it lowers headroom and I only used it a couple of times in my 10 year old Town Car. I also didn't want the Technology Package at $3,000 since I want to drive my car myself since I don't trust the current state of technology (based on highly problematic self driving cars). The 20" wheels with low profile tires are the same diameter as the 19" std wheels with higher profile tires so add nothing and detract from ride quality so not for me. The luxury package is $5,500 and includes the 19 speaker Revel system and LED headlamps so nice but out of my reach. The rear seat package is $5,000 and includes reclining back seats (which precludes the folding rear seats that I like) and a rear seat control system that overrides the driver and front passenger requirements (I can just see my 4 grandkids with that kind of power at their fingertips).

So I don't think my $60k Continental is a bare bones vehicle since it is all I need/want and a $80k version is not much better, but beyond my reach anyway. Everyone can make their own choices and most are different to mine judging by the dealer spec'd ones in showrooms.

Remove this ad
    I believe the problem with the sales of the Continental are two things; price and looks. What I mean about the looks department is that the production vehicle is not as attractive as the concept vehicle that wowed the public at the NY Auto Show a few years ago. That car was so attractive that it even was compared to a Bentley. That car was much wider and I believe a bit longer. It side profile was more proportional than the production model.

Check it out on the numerous videos posted on the web. The production vehicle is not as wide and the front length from the A pillar to the grille is shorter giving it a stubbier look and seems out of balance, short length in the front, longer length in the rear. While it may be only a matter of inches, I feel those loss of inches in the width and front length, the car lost alot of its road and Bentley presence.

A big mistake by Lincoln I believe. As far as the price, in order to have that presence on the road having those LED headlamps is a must. Unfortunately most Continentals I have seen on the road, and those numbers are small, have the regular projector style headlamps giving the car a regular road presence instead of an expensive dramatic look. A small deletion like that will cost Lincoln in sales.

I understand that those LED headlamps are available in the upgraded packages but like many said here you have to pay over $80k to get them. At this time most non-Lincoln customers are unwilling to do that as well as many Lincoln customers who may not put an importance on road presence just comfort, and in that department the new Continental does get it right. Lincoln always get it right with Concepts but always water down the production vehicles. While the issues I have with the new Continental may not seem huge, they are subtle but important details. I believe those small details are important to many customers and the weaken sales of the new Continental would have many agree with me.