lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: The New Continental has weakened sales.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Remove this ad
    Wow, this is really great! Thank you, Town. But one correction - the Genesis G90 (Continental competitor) sold 397 in May of 2017. The "Hyundai Genesis" doesn't really "sell" anymore. It's a left over model. There's a G80 and G90 right now. The G80 replaced the "Hyundai Genesis". The G90 replaced the "Hyundai Equus". Would you mind if I updated your post?
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your next Lincoln for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    Wow, this is really great! Thank you, Town. But one correction - the Genesis G90 (Continental competitor) sold 397 in May of 2017. The "Hyundai Genesis" doesn't really "sell" anymore. It's a left over model. There's a G80 and G90 right now. The G80 replaced the "Hyundai Genesis". The G90 replaced the "Hyundai Equus". Would you mind if I updated your post?
    Yes, please do. Sorry for my mistake.

Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Just returned from a visit to my Lincoln dealer. Asked the sales manager if he heard from his Lincoln rep recently. He was expecting him later. I asked how the sales of the Conti were going. He said the sales were very slow. He said there is not as much interest as was expected. I said there were ads in magazines but very little on TV. Another person at the dealership said the sales were being encouraged with deals and incentives to boost sales. Everyone there was waiting for the Navigatir and hope that the TV ads will also boost the Conti. The SUV sales were much more than sedans. That is what they believe is hurting the Continental. In general sales are up almost 5% for May for Lincoln.

1989 Chrysler LeBaron 66,000 miles
    2013 Ford Taurus 46,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    Yes, please do. Sorry for my mistake.
    Oh, no problem at all. I also dropped the S-Class down to 1,275 - making things even better for the Continental. Now, of course, the Continental is a much less expensive car. But I still feel this demonstrates that Lincoln is making an impact on the industry. It's not going to be forever that the Continental is sold as such a discount. Especially considering the next generation will likely be rear wheel drive based...
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    Just returned from a visit to my Lincoln dealer. Asked the sales manager if he heard from his Lincoln rep recently. He was expecting him later. I asked how the sales of the Conti were going. He said the sales were very slow. He said there is not as much interest as was expected. I said there were ads in magazines but very little on TV. Another person at the dealership said the sales were being encouraged with deals and incentives to boost sales. Everyone there was waiting for the Navigatir and hope that the TV ads will also boost the Conti. The SUV sales were much more than sedans. That is what they believe is hurting the Continental. In general sales are up almost 5% for May for Lincoln.
    I think management probably got sales people's hopes up too high. The Continental sold 1061 times in May. How do you think the sales people feel everywhere else - with the exception of Mercedes and Cadillac?

#1 Mercedes S-Class sales for May 2017 are 1,275
    #2 Lincoln Continental sales for May 2017 are 1,061
    #3 Cadillac CT6 sales for May 2017 are 1,001

#4 BMW 7 Series sales for May 2017 are 524
    #5 Volvo S90 sales for May 2017 are 473
    #6 Genesis G90 sales for May 2017 are 397
    #7 Lexus LS sales for May 2017 are 317
    #8 Audi A8/S8 sales for May 2017 are 216

After 1, 2, and 3 - that's a huge DUMP... Audi 216. Lexus? 317?! Jeez... The fact is, full size premium cars aren't selling like they used to. Neither are midsizers. They're just not what's "in" right now. And it's possible they never will be "in style" again. The more taller vehicles we have on the road, the less people are going to feel comfortable buying "cars" with such a restricted view.

Here in Florida, it's like mandatory to drive a truck jacked up to the clouds. I drive a car. I can't see a damn thing. My next vehicle will be an SUV as well - even though I really want the Continental. I'll probably end up in a Navigator of some sort.

So I think somebody told the sales people they were going to be doing "much better" after the Continental was launched. They're not. But in reality - it's doing well. In the big picture...

Yes, the Navigator will bring in more sales - probably more than the Continental... But it's an expensive vehicle so I really don't expect a plethora of sales.

Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Cadillac went after the younger crowd by introducing the "V" series. Maybe Lincoln should do the same. However, because of the shift to SUVs as a more practical vehicle maybe it is too late for sedans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    Cadillac went after the younger crowd by introducing the "V" series. Maybe Lincoln should do the same. However, because of the shift to SUVs as a more practical vehicle maybe it is too late for sedans.
    That's a very good point. Cadillac did aim directly at the younger crowd with the V-Series - but cars aren't selling like they used to... I wonder if Lincoln should concentrate on Crossover SUVs with a twin turbo 400hp "option"...

Not just Lincoln. The Buick dealer in Leesburg FL is advertising new LeCrosse for more than $6000 Under MSRP. That 2017 LeCrosse is a nice car, but like the Continental, I've only seen two or three. My local Mt.Dora dealer has a lot full of them. (Sells a lot of GMC's though).

Remove this ad
    If it were not that I am a Ford/Lincoln guy, I may have gone with the G80. One hell of a nice car and better equipped compared to the Continental. Three (or four) engines available. The G90 is much more than I want or need. One thing I don't like about the Genesis is they seem to change their transmissions every couple of years. When they were using the ZF transmission, the transmission fluid cost about $70 a quart. Now they are on two or three transmissions since the ZF.

Has anyone noticed how many Hyundai Sonatas on the road? Sure, it's a less expensive car, but you can pick up a Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited, loaded LOADED with more features than my Continental Select for less than 35K new. Made in the USA, unlike the Genesis made in Korea.

Like I said, I'm a Ford/Lincoln guy.