lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Blinging Service Engine Indicator Light
    Volmommy3 is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2007 MKX

Question Blinging Service Engine Indicator Light

Remove this ad
    I am new to the Lincoln MKX forum. I would appreciate any input regarding my concern. Until last evening, my 2007 Lincoln MKX has been running smoothly. After my last evening errand, I started my MKX to travel home. Immediately upon starting the engine, I could feel a slight hesitation in the engine as if the idle was slightly off. The service indicator light began flashing; that continued. I turned off the engine and checked my oil level. The oil level was within normal range. When I restarted the car, the service engine light continued to blink. Does anyone have a suggestion as what I should check? About six weeks ago, I did have a Ford dealership replace my Lincoln's leaking gas tank that was a recall issue. Other than that, I have had no recent mechanical repairs or issues. This just happened unexpectedly. Your input would greatly be appreciated.
    Thank you!

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    I would take it to a repair shop or auto parts store & have them plug a scanner into it, to see what codes come up. They should be able to advise you on what it's issue is.

Good luck!

So..What was the outcome???

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by newyota View Post
    So..What was the outcome???
    Since the OP has not responded in 3 months he is unlikely to respond, although we have heard of solutions after a year. Too bad he did not identify the engine.

A blinking check engine light means a misfire that is serious and may damage the engine. The usual suspects are plugs, coil and sometimes moisture grounding the ignition pulses. As Slick Fan says a diagnostic will usually find the problem.

The alternative is to plug in an OBD2 tester and find the code(s) which will point to one or more cylinders. Then switch the coil on plug from that cylinder to another that is not registering as faulty. Clear the codes and try again. You are not looking at a solution but whether the code moves with the coil on plug or not. If the code is now moved onto the cylinder where the "faulty" coil was placed then you may have a coil or coil boot problem (look for damage on boot first because replacement is cheap. If boot is ok then replace that coil on plug with a new one (Motorcraft are the best but more expensive). If the code stays on the original cylinder then check the plug well for moisture and remove the plug for checking and replacement. If plug is old and worn then replace all the plugs.

A misfire is detected by one or more cylinders not contributing to the engine speed as much as the others. So ignition problems are the most common but other issues like poor compression or partly plugged injectors and carboned up heads and valves may also be to blame. The eco-boost engines used to suffer from excessive carbon on the valves and suffered misfires as a result.

Good luck.

Remove this ad
    I had this condition on one one of the kids cars and by the time she/we realized what had happened the CAT was ruined from raw fuel being burned up in the CAT.They are correct when the light starts to blink, stop the car right away and have it towed.May heave been too late anyway.Did find a bad coil boot that was probably causing the misfire and fixed that, but it was too late for the CAT.