lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Maxim Article on the Continental
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maxim Article on the Continental

Remove this ad
    The New Lincoln Continental Might Be As Close As Us Mere Mortals Get To Experiencing A Rolls-Royce
    Plus you'll save yourself about $400K.

It is a longstanding trope of less-costly automotive brands to compare the specifications of their cars with those of their betters to "prove" equivalence, or if they are feeling cheeky, superiority.
    "Look, the Smokesnorter Highwaymaster has the very same rear seat elbow room as a Rolls-Royce Wraith, at one-tenth the price," they trumpet. These comparisons always tout some key, not-terribly-important specifications that in no way capture the essence of the authentic premium brand.
    1989 Chrysler LeBaron 66,000 miles
    2013 Ford Taurus 46,000 miles

Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Well at least the Lincoln engineers after working for a year on the sound of the door closing , they finally got it right. According to the article , Lincoln tried to replicate the sound of the door closing as the sound of a Rolls or Bentley to give the owner a sense of an really expensive car. The average Lincoln owner may never appreciate all of the time spent in developing the sound effect. My brother did just that when we arrived at his house and closed the car doors. He noticed the quiet close immediately. I believe that most Lincoln owners will notice the soft close but will they really appreciate it? Car aficionados will immediately. How many Lincoln owners have driven or rode in a Rolls or Bentley, really!
    The article is mostly about the soft close doors and not the total feel of a Rolls. With Lincoln ........It's the feeling that stays with you!!!!

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Perhaps Bently is closer to the Lincoln Continental. Comparable quality to the RR but a more sporting demeanour. Now which was named Continental first?

My friend who works at a GMC Buick dealership said that my Conti looks like a Chrysler 300. He always asks me how the Chrysler drives.
    At the Ford dealer the techs think the car resembles a Bentley. I would prefer the Bentley look rather than the Chrysler look!

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    My friend who works at a GMC Buick dealership said that my Conti looks like a Chrysler 300. He always asks me how the Chrysler drives.
    At the Ford dealer the techs think the car resembles a Bentley. I would prefer the Bentley look rather than the Chrysler look!
    I don't think the Conti looks anything like a 300. I just looked at the Bentley Continental and it does resemble the styling of the 2017 Lincoln Continental, much different to the 300. Your friend is just ribbing you.

It appears the first Bentley Continental was produced in 1952 according to Wikipedia, while the first Lincoln Continental was produced in 1939, again according to Wikipedia.

I think you are right about the ribbing. They have been trying to get me to lease a Buick and tried to entice me with the Buick Cascada convertible. My answer to them was ....it is still a Buick !
    My husband leases a GMC Terrain Denali and the sales manager just wants me in a Buick , he tries every time I'm there..

Hey, now! There's nothing wrong with Buick! I still remember the days of the Park Avenue... Loved that car. But it's certainly not in the same league as Lincoln - especially with the Continental here. Yes, Lincoln was the first brand to use the name Continental. And, yes - there is quite a bit of "Bentley Continental" in Lincoln's new premium offering. And yes! Your guy/gal at the GMC/Buick dealership is just messing with you. The Lincoln Continental looks nothing like the Chrysler 300...
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your next Lincoln for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

I stop at the Buick dealer just to get a Cafe Mocha. I always sit with the sales manager and GM in the office. It is the sales manager who calls the Conti a 300, just to tease . The GM again tried to lease me a Buick Envoy , he said he would give me $20,000 for my Conti. Ha, Ha.
    Another salesman saw my Conti which I park in front of the showroom and noticed the badges . He thought the badges were part of the package. He liked the idea!
    There is nothing wrong with a Buick but just not for me. The sales manager mentioned that Buick is trying to do more with SUVs than cars.

Remove this ad
    Regarding the lack of model specific name on the new Continental, I thought Lincoln wanted people to identify their car as a Lincoln rather than "I have a Continental". That came up in discussions as the reason why Lincoln named their vehicles as MKX, MKZ, MKC and other ridiculous and meaningless identities. I now hear that Lincoln is doing an about face, so the new Continental will be joined by the Zephyr to replace the MKZ (I believe) identity. Others may also change.