lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 2017 Lincoln Continental

2017 Lincoln Continental

Remove this ad
    I finally drove the Continental today. It was a base Premiere, which of course has the 3.7L. That was my biggest concern as I wasn't sure if it would be enough for the car. Turns out I was right that it is more than adequate. It even shifts a lot smoother than the MKX I drove last year. I was also impressed by the sound system even though it wasn't Revel audio. The ride quality was everything I expected, I'd say it was even better than the MKX. The one negative I discovered was that if the battery died, everyone would have to climb through the driver's side door to get out. Overall, I was very impressed. I was expecting to come away wanting a higher spec model, but that wasn't the case. Once I start seriously looking next year I'll still try a Select to test the Revel audio system. The 10 way power seats were more than enough, but it would still be cool to have the perfect position seats. It's still going to be at the very top end of my price range, but hopefully I'll have a job once I graduate that allows me to afford it!

Here is the link to it: http://www.montgomerylincoln.com/new...earchDepth=2:7

Here is the window sticker:http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....Du5TdQGmHX0%3D
    1989 Chrysler LeBaron 66,000 miles
    2013 Ford Taurus 46,000 miles

Turns out if the battery dies, the other doors can in fact open as there is a micro capacitor in each door that holds enough power for at least 50 releases. They're separate from the battery.
    1989 Chrysler LeBaron 66,000 miles
    2013 Ford Taurus 46,000 miles

Thank you very much for the review! I saw you mentioned in another discussion that the ride is the same as a Town Car. THAT is awesome news. I'm so glad to hear that. I'm so tired of everybody trying to mimic BMW with their full-size "luxury" sedans. It's ridiculous.
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your next Lincoln for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    I drove a well equipped 2017 Continental Reserve model with the 2.7 liter twin turbo for about an hour a couple of weeks ago. It had the 20" rims and 40 series tires, tech package and moon roof. My wife and I think the ride is even better than the Town Car on smooth and rough pavement using the comfort setting, but the lack of impact absorption over pothole type surfaces is quite noticeable. Probably typical of 40 series tires. We will be getting the 19" rims which appear to have 45 series tires in the hope of better shock absorption. The steering is quite good with a nice firm feel that is heavier than a 2007 Town Car and even more direct. It is even more of a driver's car than I expected and not nearly as relaxed as a Town Car. Road feel was good and it steered around roundabouts like it was on rails.

It appears the Town Car is bigger than the Continental on the outside while the Continental is bigger on the inside, just where I like it. Just the feeling I get driving both but not comparing actual dimensions.

We kept the radio off to be more sensitive to ambient noise levels. The Continental is extremely quiet, no noise from anywhere, except the exhaust note that accompanies acceleration even my usual light throttle. I prefer a more quiet exhaust note, but it is designed into the car. The 24 position seats are amazingly comfortable and help give the interior a fantastic look and feel. Instrumentation is comprehensive and easy to see because it is lighted even during the day, seems to solve the sun drowning out the instruments. The dash is altogether overwhelming in its looks and functionality. Not hard to use while driving when your needs are limited.

The engine is extremely powerful and moves quickly off the line with no boost pressure showing on the gauge. I only got up to 5 lbs of boost for mild throttle opening and super fast acceleration. The transmission is 6 speeds and shifts up and down were not noticeable except for tach changes. While it has AWD there was no opportunity to see how it works. Probably similar to a MKC that I drove in deep slush with all season tires, worked very well with no slip detectable, and no dash light indicating loss of traction. My Continental will have a winter tire package.

Vision out the windows is excellent. Even the rear window has great visibility, so relying on the rear camera is not always necessary.

Trunk space is very deep and wide but not high. It is supplemented by a pass through in the center of the back seat and the rear seats fold down like a station wagon. So that will help with larger objects to transport. Overall room in the cockpit is huge and seems even more accommodating than the Town Car. The longer wheelbase and transverse engine making more rear seat leg room behind the driver than my Town Car. The car has 3 zone HVAC with a comprehensive set of controls for the rear passengers that looks as though someone cared. My Town Car has a rear seat air outlet that can freeze the legs of ladies in the back, while the Continental allows seemingly total control of back seat comfort. If kids in back the driver can optionally turn off the rear seat zone control so defaulting to driver zone air temperatures.

The moon roof does restrict headroom a little perhaps but probably not significant and since I hardly ever used it in my Town Car did not want the extra expense.

I have not driven many other cars at the Continental level, but it seems perfect to me. All the features that I currently want and the quiet luxury that Lincoln promises and now delivers for me.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    I should have noted that the brakes on the Continental are fabulous. Very powerful at stopping yet easily modulated. I think it has huge 18" rotors and twin pistons up front and 17" with single piston at back.

Another nice touch is the cartridge oil filter is located within the engine compartment sitting upon the engine itself for easy no mess changes. The engine oil dipstick goes down into its own compartment in the block to the sump and oil flow is restricted so that it takes 15 mins for the oil level to show full after a fill. The oil reaches the sump from a fill in normal time but will not show up on dipstick for a while. So be careful not to overfill with DIY oil changes.

Great review, Town! Thank you very much! Jeez, I've been thinking I want a full-size SUV for my next vehicle and with a little (okay, a lot) of luck I might be able to afford the new, upcoming Navigator. But reading reviews like this is making me second guess what I really want.

The trouble is - I'm tired of driving a car while nearly everything around me is a truck, van or SUV that I can't see around... I wonder if the new Navigator will be as luxurious as the Continental...
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.

While I like the view up the road from the driver's seat in a SUV and flexible and cavernous interior the ride is not good enough for me. I can feel the high center of gravity and the effect on body motions with the softer suspensions. While this will improve with newer architecture I doubt it will improve to sedan comfort and control levels. SUV's and van's are great for young active families where people and cargo carrying capacity are important, but my wife and I no longer need that, and the Continental's fold down rear seats and long trunk should meet our modest needs.

I have driven a MKC on two occasions for several hours, it is more comfortable than the larger SUVs, but falls way short of a sedan for the driving experience. An easy choice for me therefore.

Good luck with your future choice.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    While I like the view up the road from the driver's seat in a SUV and flexible and cavernous interior the ride is not good enough for me. I can feel the high center of gravity and the effect on body motions with the softer suspensions. While this will improve with newer architecture I doubt it will improve to sedan comfort and control levels. SUV's and van's are great for young active families where people and cargo carrying capacity are important, but my wife and I no longer need that, and the Continental's fold down rear seats and long trunk should meet our modest needs.

I have driven a MKC on two occasions for several hours, it is more comfortable than the larger SUVs, but falls way short of a sedan for the driving experience. An easy choice for me therefore.

Good luck with your future choice.
    Thank you. It's a tough choice for me because I want the softest ride. I want my wife to be comfortable enough to fall asleep on long rides if she wants to. For that, it sounds like the Continental can't be beat. I wonder how close the new Navigator will get. Either way I'm going to have to sacrifice somewhere...