Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Rear Badges on my Continental
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental

Rear Badges on my Continental

Remove this ad
    Just added for better or worse an addition on the rear of my Continental. I felt it needed something on the rear to show that it was a Continental. The emblems on the side are great but from behind there is just the Lincoln name. At a shopping center parking lot you approach from the back and do not see a name tag like on other vehicles. I've been asked several times which Lincoln is it. So I added some minor badging to it. I welcome comments.
    IMG_0493.jpgIMG_0220.jpg

Very classy! I like it.
    '11 MKT 3.5 EcoBoost AWD; '14 Jeep Cherokee Ltd. V6 AWD
    '00 Regal 29' Commodore twin 4.3L

Quote Originally Posted by SGilbert View Post
    Very classy! I like it.
    Thanks! I had the work done by a professional painter at a Mercedes dealership. I got it done there because I had stopped in to see the General Service Administrator for the combined dealerships and he ( a friend) and a tech suggested I get it painted on. The administrator said I could do it there and they would make room .I can't wait to let the Lincoln dealer see it next week. The Mercedes employees were great and advised where to place the word and then suggested the Lincoln Star on the other side.Maybe it will catch on!

SouthernProducer is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Well done!

Well, next week the Lincoln rep from the area will be visiting my dealer. I gave the new car manager the pictures. He is going to show them to the Lincoln district rep. I can't wait to hear his opinion on the rear badges.

Not bad. It looks better than I thought it would. I wish the script Continental lettering was thicker - to be even more pronounced...
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your next Lincoln for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    Not bad. It looks better than I thought it would. I wish the script Continental lettering was thicker - to be even more pronounced...
    I thought about making it more prominent but I was not sure if it would become too much. One comment I got was that the script should have been italic letters.
    It is subtle but there.
    I almost bought a script from a 1974 Conti but some techs said thst it would look dated on a 2017. Maybe Lincoln will re-think the rear badges.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    I thought about making it more prominent but I was not sure if it would become too much. One comment I got was that the script should have been italic letters.
    It is subtle but there.
    I almost bought a script from a 1974 Conti but some techs said thst it would look dated on a 2017. Maybe Lincoln will re-think the rear badges.
    They must have a reason for not having Continental badging on the rear. Perhaps they want to be mysterious.
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    They must have a reason for not having Continental badging on the rear. Perhaps they want to be mysterious.
    Maybe you are right! When I looked at the concept Navigator the rear shows no badging that is evident.

Maybe you are right! When I looked at the concept Navigator the rear shows no badging that is evident.
    Strange from a marketing perspective but there must be SOMETHING to it...

That is a cool looking custom addition. I actually like that there isn't a rear emblem, so I don't have to debadge it

Quote Originally Posted by stealthman View Post
    That is a cool looking custom addition. I actually like that there isn't a rear emblem, so I don't have to debadge it
    Why would you want to de-badge it?

Why would you want to de-badge it?
    Sometimes I debadge it so that the rear looks cleaner....its just personal preference.

What is your current drive (car)? Do you have. 2017 Continental?

What is your current drive (car)? Do you have. 2017 Continental?
    I don't have a 17 Conti yet. I saw one in person at Auto Show last weekend - it looked great in person. I used to have a 95 Conti and loved it. I am a car fanatic and have, as my wife tells me, too many cars ...but my daily driver is a 2012 Mercedes CLS550.

Took my car to the dealer to get it washed and when the service advisor came to get it , I asked what he thought of the rear look. He studied it for a while and said he could see no damage. I said there was no damage but an addition was made. He asked where? I couldn't believe he did not notice the badging. I told him that the word and star were added to the car. He said that he thought they were always there and did not think of looking for that at all. He said that he expected cars to have badges on the rear and thought it looked good. Oh, well!

Does anyone have a comment on my rear badges on the Conti? Waiting to hear , good or bad!

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Does anyone have a comment on my rear badges on the Conti? Waiting to hear , good or bad!
    I like the look and very professional appearance. It could have been a stock feature like on my Town Car.

Someone commented to me the rear badges are disappearing on cars. They have mostly left the sides of the cars , so in traffic if you are not familiar with the brand you have no idea what it is. I think the car manufacturers saved money by not putting them on but I feel it leaves a void.
    Lincoln did add the side badge to the Conti and I think it is slick. I think Americans are proud of their car choice and want to show it. If Europeans want to delete rear badges (such as Mercedes) then it should stay in Eurooe.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Perhaps the idea is to drum up showroom traffic from people seeing the attractive Lincoln but wanting to know the model, so they satisfy their curiosity at the showroom floor. Mercedes and BMW still show their brand logo and model alphabet on the rear, so I don't think it is going away as much as Lincoln selecting the path less travelled.

Someone commented to me the rear badges are disappearing on cars.
    There are people out there that always debadge their car no matter what it is. They simply like a "clean look" - so they say. Badging/branding isn't going anywhere. But Lincoln definitely had a reason to leave "Continental" off their flagship sedan and maybe Town has the idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    Perhaps the idea is to drum up showroom traffic from people seeing the attractive Lincoln but wanting to know the model, so they satisfy their curiosity at the showroom floor. Mercedes and BMW still show their brand logo and model alphabet on the rear, so I don't think it is going away as much as Lincoln selecting the path less travelled.
    I don't think that people seeing an unbadged Lincoln will go to S showroom to see which model it is. I just heard a radio show in Syracuse where the gentlemen said he totally debadged his cars front, side and rear. He said that is what he prefers. He thinks it looks cleaner. I wondered how he chose the brand car in the first place. He hinted he thinks people will guess what car it is.
    Just ask a policeman trying to get info about an accident and questioning people about what car they saw leaving the scene. Most cannot tell the brand yet the style. You even hear this on TV shows. I can see removing the sticker from the dealer that is added to the rear. I always ask the dealership if I keep the sticker on my car, advertising the dealer, how much money do I get for providing advertising space. They usually remove the sticker before delivery!

bruddahmanmatt is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2016 Fiesta ST
    The reason there aren't any rear badges on both the Conti and the Navi is two fold:

1. As already mentioned, the lack of a nameplate creates mystery and gets folks curious about the car. If you saw a Conti in a parking lot and didn't know what it was what's the first thing you'd do...you'd walk around the car and try to figure out what it is leading you to the front quarter emblems. You might also go home and Google "new Lincoln sedan".

2. The biggest reason for the lack of rear badging however has to do with brand recognition over model recognition. What I mean by this is that Lincoln wants its customers to say "I drive a Lincoln" and not "I drive a Continental" similar to how brand snobs always brag about "I drive a BMW" or "I drive a Mercedes" when talking about their lease special 320is and CLA250s. In describing one's car you usually fall into one of two categories:

Category A. A true "car person" or at the very least, someone who loves his or her car. This person will always tell you what model he or she drives, the true dorks like us will even go into detail about options.

Category B. Someone who isn't a car person or someone who is a badge snob. These folks will tell you the make they drive, the former because they don't know enough about their own car, the latter because they're too embarassed to disclose that their "German Audi luxury car" is really a base model A3 with halogens.

However with folks in category B what often happens with lesser known brands which happen to build a few popular models is that the model will supplant the make in everyday conversation. Folks in category B will say "I drive a G35" either because they can't spell "Infiniti" or because no one knows what Infiniti is all about i.e. lack of brand recognition. In fact this is precisely why Infiniti renamed their lineup a few years ago, because G35/G37 and FX35 were more well known nameplates than Infiniti itself. Lincoln tried something similar in the mid 00s. Why do you think the Zephyr nameplate only lasted a year? Lincoln went Alphanumeric to in a way intentionally confuse consumers so that they'd give up on the model and just say "I drive a Lincoln" but it backfired because the product was mediocre. As such, "Lincoln" has become synonymous with "shiny Ford" in recent years and they needed a new strategy to reestablsh the brand. Enter them cashing in on some of their heritage by resurrecting nameplates like Continental (and if the rumors are to be believed, Aviator for a Lincolnized Explorer and Zephyr when the MK Fusion is redesigned) but keeping those nameplates off the rears (what most folks see in traffic) of their cars in an effort to continue pushing the brand over individual models.

It sounds ridiculous I know, but there's a marketing logic to it all. FWIW I'm glad they're going with names for their cars. I'd rather Lincoln be Lincoln instead of trying to ape the Germans which is what the Japanese did with Lexus, Acura and Infiniti. Put the marketing folks to work

What about the person who says .....I drive a Lincoln Continental? Both brand and model in one sentence.
    Maybe that person has a problem with brand recognition and needs to add the model so the other person also gets brand and model recognition.
    If Lincoln brings back the Conti to enhance the brand , then why?

bruddahmanmatt is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2016 Fiesta ST
    Remove this ad
    What about the person who says .....I drive a Lincoln Continental? Both brand and model in one sentence.
    Maybe that person has a problem with brand recognition and needs to add the model so the other person also gets brand and model recognition.
    If Lincoln brings back the Conti to enhance the brand , then why?
    It's rare that someone identifies what they drive by make and model. In that case both the brand and the model gain exposure, but what Lincoln is attempting to do is build an identify for the brand before individual models. This is why all of their vehicles not only share a familiar face but also a similar rear fascia as well. From the back when you see full-width tails you're almost always looking at either a Lincoln or in recent years a Dodge with their race track rear lamp setup. It's the same way you know you're looking at "a Cadillac" when you see those same vertical lights out back.