lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: My Continental
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My Continental

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    Remove this ad
    OK, sounds great BUT----how long does a home computer or cellphone last? As we jump into computer/module controlled vehicles, the factory warranty is too short. As I found out when the DDM (driver's door module) failed in my 2007 TC Designer, I could NOT fix the issue--a first for me. A used DDM, unless it was from a clone of ALL the features of my vehicle, would not work properly. A new DDM had to be installed with a "as built" FoMoCo computer download. Cost was $535 for a repair that could be made on an older TC for $25. I am considering leasing new vehicles as getting a new one at the end of lease resolves THAT issue. THOUGHTS?

Here is the Continental brochure: http://www.lincoln.com/services/asse...ntal&year=2017
    1989 Chrysler LeBaron 66,000 miles
    2013 Ford Taurus 46,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by mark95man View Post
    OK, sounds great BUT----how long does a home computer or cellphone last? As we jump into computer/module controlled vehicles, the factory warranty is too short. As I found out when the DDM (driver's door module) failed in my 2007 TC Designer, I could NOT fix the issue--a first for me. A used DDM, unless it was from a clone of ALL the features of my vehicle, would not work properly. A new DDM had to be installed with a "as built" FoMoCo computer download. Cost was $535 for a repair that could be made on an older TC for $25. I am considering leasing new vehicles as getting a new one at the end of lease resolves THAT issue. THOUGHTS?
    I look at it this way, that $535 is likely less than one payment depending on what you get. I assume your Town Car has been paid off for a few years now. You've been saving a lot of money versus if you leased. I always say buying is better than leasing, unless you like having a new car every 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
    Thank you! I'm making a sticky with that link...
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your next Lincoln for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Just got word from my dealer that the first two orders were processed , mine should be next! He could shortly get the build date. Yeah! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    Just got word from my dealer that the first two orders were processed , mine should be next! He could shortly get the build date. Yeah!
    Thrilled to hear this!!
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your next Lincoln for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Both of our dealers now have one on the lot. Can't wait to see these on the streets!

Just got my Conti bumped up . Should see it sooner than later. Was told a few more weeks , maybe early October. Yeah!��

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    Quote Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
    I look at it this way, that $535 is likely less than one payment depending on what you get. I assume your Town Car has been paid off for a few years now. You've been saving a lot of money versus if you leased. I always say buying is better than leasing, unless you like having a new car every 2-3 years.
    The car was paid for upon delivery during Ford's FIRE sale in January 2007. If you missed that sale, you really missed something! If you have the service manuals for these newer cars, you'll discover they're full of modules and computer controlled equipment. Used parts are no longer possible with many failures as I found out. Of course "they" made a "Manufacturers mainframe download" required for some parts. I usually do all and I mean all of the maintenance on our vehicles---except for warranty work. The free oil/filter changes are not worth my time as I use Mobil 1 vs a blend. The real red flag for purchasing and keeping: FoMoCo has failed to understand why Chrysler stepped back from the internally engine mounted water pump! If you keep your car a long time, if you're lucky and discover a leaking water pump--the engine must be REMOVED for water pump replacement--cost $2,500+ vs an easy $75 D.I.Y. job. If the anti-freeze mixes with the oil, you'll lose the engine with a replacement cost of $7,500. Today's vehicles are getting too complex for the average, let alone the very experienced owners. Currently the age factor is hitting me as I realize older people get forgetful and hurt while working on vehicles. Member (South Park grapes) how easy it was to change front shocks on a 96 Panther? On a 07 Panther, it's a very different story. Therefore, for us, we'll starting leasing next year and throw the vehicle away at lease end and get a new vehicle.

Remove this ad
    My dealer just got his first Conti. The sales manager gave me a call to come see it.i was impressed with the look. I did not like the color (white gold ) and the wheels were standard 19" which did not add to a better look. This one was pre - sold so it could not be opened or test driven. Another is coming in next week so I'll get a chance to drive one and check it out before mine arrives.