lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Cruise Control Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JWR is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2013 MKZ

Cruise Control Question

Remove this ad
    I often drive on open mountainous interstate quality highways. I was shocked to find that the cruise control on both my new F-150 and this MKZ will shift down to a lower gear to slow the vehicle on steeper downhills (!) I prefer the "old" style cruise control that lets the vehicle coast faster than the cruise setting. I do not like the idea of losing gas mileage by artificially downshifting. This forces me currently to keep turning cruise control off and on. Sure, the mileage impact is negligible but I just detest the idea of downshifting when in cruise control.

Anyone out there know if this is a setting or if there is a way to change the behavior of the cruise control? The owner's manual offers no clue.
    Note the F-150 is NOT adaptive and the MKZ does have radar and is adaptive.

An update: Just talked to the dealer and they say that this intrusive, over-reaching feature is "the way it is." There are no settings that offer an ability to revert to old-style cruise control which simply coasts or allows higher than the set speed going downhill. Not only does this hurt gas mileage (slightly) it also increases wear (slightly.) One of those cases where you have to wonder what the design discussion was like among engineers before doing this.

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Sounds like if you want that lesser intrusive feature, you may just have to buy an older car!

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Fan View Post
    Sounds like if you want that lesser intrusive feature, you may just have to buy an older car!
    Yup ! Guess what, the censors would not take a "Yup!" only and informed me with a message that it had to be at least 10 characters. I've now heard it all...

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    I often drive on open mountainous interstate quality highways. I was shocked to find that the cruise control on both my new F-150 and this MKZ will shift down to a lower gear to slow the vehicle on steeper downhills (!) I prefer the "old" style cruise control that lets the vehicle coast faster than the cruise setting. I do not like the idea of losing gas mileage by artificially downshifting. This forces me currently to keep turning cruise control off and on. Sure, the mileage impact is negligible but I just detest the idea of downshifting when in cruise control.

Anyone out there know if this is a setting or if there is a way to change the behavior of the cruise control? The owner's manual offers no clue.
    Note the F-150 is NOT adaptive and the MKZ does have radar and is adaptive.
    Same issue I experienced when driving my wife's 2014 MKZH. The only way around this was to turn C/C off when going down hill. Then reset it after the hill. A real PIA.

Use the cancel and resume button... Fuel waste on a hill? What ware you driving down Mount McKinley daily?

Quote Originally Posted by mark95man View Post
    Same issue I experienced when driving my wife's 2014 MKZH. The only way around this was to turn C/C off when going down hill. Then reset it after the hill. A real PIA.
    Agree. The least nuisance way around it seems to be to hit "cancel" which does not erase the speed setting and then "resume" after the downhill interval. That's still, as you say a PIA, but not quite as bad as having to set the speed all over again.

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    Agree. The least nuisance way around it seems to be to hit "cancel" which does not erase the speed setting and then "resume" after the downhill interval. That's still, as you say a PIA, but not quite as bad as having to set the speed all over again.
    Since many posters do not list their home State, they may never experience the issue. My location has many hills--sometimes one right after the other. The hilly roads are usually not crowded, so I like to go downhill faster, then using that free speed on the uphill climb.

Me too. I travel western MD I-68 and US 48 -- new 4 lane, wide open, in mountains of WV quite often. Bugs me every trip. Around home in southern MD never comes up of course.

Remove this ad
    Hit the "N" and coast to 100 MPH!

Nah, the CC button is all we have.