lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Washboard Road Feel
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JWR is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2013 MKZ
    Remove this ad
    Update: This infuriating problem still persists. Dealer has no clue any better than I do. Have driven 2 other MKZs -- one with the same 19 wheels as mine and another with 18" wheels. Neither one rides rough like mine. I tried the Sporty mode in both my own and one of the other cars and I see no road roughness difference at all. Yes, the steering changes and Yes the transmission shift points change but I feel no difference in road feel or bumpiness in any of these cars. Dealer has agreed to "sell me a new set of tires at his cost" whenever I am ready to try and solve this blasted issue. It is the ONLY complaint on what is other wise a great car. Hideous. I have trouble believing that it is tires because I once in a while I find a stretch of road where there is no bumpiness felt at the same speeds. Yet the dealer and almost everyone say it is tires. Once I wear these out (30,000 on them now) we will find out for sure. And if new tires DO NOT fix the problem it will stay in the shop permanently until until Ford Motor Co fixes the blasted thing.

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    New data: I was able to drive a 2013 MKZ equipped with 18" wheels instead of 19" and 45 series tires instead of 40 series. VERY different. The washboard feel was not there. That still leaves open the possibilities that mine is stuck in "sporty" mode, that my tires are bad, or that 19" rims and 40 series tires simply ride like a buckboard. No way yet to tell which it is. Really does not solve the puzzle but I find it very interesting that this other 2013 MKZ does not have the disease.
    Hi: My wife purchased a new 2014 MKZH in April 2014. She had a wonderful 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis--she claimed a Town Car was too big.

Back to her MKZH, I hated the way it drove as it did not handle like the panther based vehicles. Washboard ride with loud road noise. I avoided driving her MKZH. Then we tried a different suspension setting--unlike the Corvettes we had, the adjustment is not in plain sight. You had to search the menu for the adjustment to suspension. It was set to normal---I went to "sport" and the car handled better, way better. Her car has the full sliding roof + most of the other options except the tires--just the base 18" WHEELS/TIRES. She has over 30,000 miles on it. The tires might be 50% worn, if that. Not one warranty issue on it. Next year, she'll buy a new one. But we feel the hybrid is out of the running--the battery pack is just too big, results in a small trunk + the MPG is not worth it. The hot AZ Summers kill the MPG, around 36. Right now she's in the low to mid 40's.

JWR is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2013 MKZ
    Remove this ad
    Another update: 3000 miles more since the last comment. I found one tire slightly worse than the others and moved it to the rear which reduced the washboard feel a little bit (just prior to a 2000 miles trip in it.) I am trying to wear out these blasted tires since 99% of mechanics, dealers and owners say it is tires. I do believe, as one post said, that the 19" wheels (and resulting 2 3/8" of rubber between the rims and the road) is the stupid factor coming out of Lincoln. I think that does 2 thigs: 1) It makes for a rougher ride inherently from day one and 2) It makes the vehicle much more sensitive to both tire imperfections as they wear AND road blemishes. That is a bad combo. I would still love to trade these EXPENSIVE wheels for 17" ones that would give me the same rolling radius as what I have. As I said in post #11, when I get new tires either the problem goes away or it stays permanently in the dealer's shop until Ford Motor Company fixes the thing.