lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Washboard Road Feel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JWR is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2013 MKZ

Washboard Road Feel

Remove this ad
    My 2013 MKZ is a beautiful machine in every regard EXCEPT that anything under 50mph transmits the imperfections in the pavement directly to the driver. A smooth looking pavement that feels really smooth in my other vehicles (new F-150 and 2013 VW Beetle) feels like a washboard surface in this Lincoln ! The tires look great, I had the dealer balance them and rotate them. The car has just over 20,000 miles on it. It does not vibrate per se or seem to have tire imbalance. The tire air pressure is right on spec for all 4 wheels.

The thing literally acts like a feeler for tiny washboard imperfections in pavement. My F-150 rides far better below 50 mph on the same pavement. So does the diesel 6 speed Beetle !

Anyone else have this disease on an MKZ ? It is all-wheel drive and uses the Pirelli P245/40 ZR-19 tires.

My theory is that the idiot who decided to use 40 series tires [best when applied to a sports car track...] on what should be a super smooth riding near-luxury car needs to be lynched or else made to pay for converting my vehicle tires and wheels to a decent ride and feel. In other words I think the problem is very hard and stiff aluminum 19" wheels riding around 4" from the pavement on the hard sidewalls of 40 series tires. Anyone have a better theory ? ESPECIALLY do others have this disease !!??

Post script: I have pondered whether the "S" mode (sporty) might be locked on and not going off in the "D" normal driving mode. I see no difference in the two modes except that the shift points obviously differ and the steering turns burdensome in "S" mode. I see no difference in the shocks/suspension but that may be hard to detect.

Hi

I don't think the tires are the problem. MKZ is a sweet car. Cars today are built to be very intelligent and have multiple personas.

From the description of your options, I'd bet you have a high optioned MKZ.... If so, you'd more than likely have adaptive/adjustable suspension. I believe you need to change the parameters of the Comfort, Normal, and Sport modes of the chassis. There is a menu that you use in the instrument cluster. Use the cluster on the tachometer side to enter the menu. Use the <OK > control pads on the left side of the steering wheel to access and toggle through. You'll need to set the handling for each of the modes to your personal preference. Unbeknownst to you, someone may have played with/changed from the factory defaults. It is a cool feature. I have spent some time with the MKZ. I have found that SPORT mode has a very responsive throttle and firms up the chassis to the point where it feels like a sports car. It can be too firm in normal driving but it is fun! Comfort mode has a lagging throttle and sloppy (comfortable) handling this might be what you desire. I found that if I set D (drive) to the Normal mode it works, but when I want to get aggressive, I'd select the S (Sport) mode. I don't like the comfort setting at all. But again, that's my preference. Try experimenting with the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    My 2013 MKZ is a beautiful machine in every regard EXCEPT that anything under 50mph transmits the imperfections in the pavement directly to the driver. A smooth looking pavement that feels really smooth in my other vehicles (new F-150 and 2013 VW Beetle) feels like a washboard surface in this Lincoln ! The tires look great, I had the dealer balance them and rotate them. The car has just over 20,000 miles on it. It does not vibrate per se or seem to have tire imbalance. The tire air pressure is right on spec for all 4 wheels.

The thing literally acts like a feeler for tiny washboard imperfections in pavement. My F-150 rides far better below 50 mph on the same pavement. So does the diesel 6 speed Beetle !

Anyone else have this disease on an MKZ ? It is all-wheel drive and uses the Pirelli P245/40 ZR-19 tires.

My theory is that the idiot who decided to use 40 series tires [best when applied to a sports car track...] on what should be a super smooth riding near-luxury car needs to be lynched or else made to pay for converting my vehicle tires and wheels to a decent ride and feel. In other words I think the problem is very hard and stiff aluminum 19" wheels riding around 4" from the pavement on the hard sidewalls of 40 series tires. Anyone have a better theory ? ESPECIALLY do others have this disease !!??

Post script: I have pondered whether the "S" mode (sporty) might be locked on and not going off in the "D" normal driving mode. I see no difference in the two modes except that the shift points obviously differ and the steering turns burdensome in "S" mode. I see no difference in the shocks/suspension but that may be hard to detect.
    I think you found the problem. My '08 has 50 series tires, and they have more "road feel" than I want in a luxury sedan.

You're right,it has every option known to man... I'll check the settings but I am skeptical of that being the problem. I'll check. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    You're right,it has every option known to man... I'll check the settings but I am skeptical of that being the problem. I'll check. Thanks.
    I checked the settings. I had the "D" mode set to provide "Comfort..." not sporty or harsh suspension. So that was NOT the problem, at least not if everything is working correctly which no human can tell. While in there, I switched the "D" mode to be "normal" rather than soft or "comfort." I doubt that I will be able to perceive any difference but if it is exciting I'll report on it.

Agree with JWR - You can tell a big difference between Sport and Comfort. Steering wheel gets tighter in sport and you get more response on the road.

I know you say you checked but in one car of mine the shocks were done and the tires would "slap" the road surface, maybe that is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MKZ'er View Post
    I know you say you checked but in one car of mine the shocks were done and the tires would "slap" the road surface, maybe that is the problem.
    That is certainly possible (bad shocks) but one would not think it would be the case with just 20,000 miles or a little more on it. The thing is driving me nuts feeling "flutter" on minuscule washboard surfaces. I have one specific section of highway that I consider a test section and there are times when I feel the bumps there & sometimes not (same speed, same lane, all done in "D" range.) Makes one question everything and all the data. It is possible I suppose that the "sporty" setting suspension is faulty and going on and off at various times without operator intervention. By the way, I just measured the rolling circumference point (e.g. the rim distance to the ground at the ground contact point) and it is only 2 3/8 inches , not the 4" I had been quoting. These are standard for this model "new car tires on original wheels." 19" rims and P245/40 series tires.

New data: I was able to drive a 2013 MKZ equipped with 18" wheels instead of 19" and 45 series tires instead of 40 series. VERY different. The washboard feel was not there. That still leaves open the possibilities that mine is stuck in "sporty" mode, that my tires are bad, or that 19" rims and 40 series tires simply ride like a buckboard. No way yet to tell which it is. Really does not solve the puzzle but I find it very interesting that this other 2013 MKZ does not have the disease.

Remove this ad
    I have also heard that 19 inch rims produce a rougher ride and 18 inchers are preferred