lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: navigation map update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    beest21 is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2008 MKZ

Exclamation navigation map update

Remove this ad
    Hey everyone. New to the forum here. I just bought a 2008 Lincoln MKZ with 62,000 miles on it. The thing is loaded and in mint condition. The one issue I'm having is the navigation. I'm currently running the 6p map update. I was wondering if anyone has the 13p map update and would be willing to let me borrow it. I will pay shipping both ways. If you could help that would be phenomenal. Thank you for your time.

As far as I know (which isn't too much), is that most, if not all, NAV's back then were DVD based; not HD based. That being said, you would need to copy the DVD (illegal, but I'm sure you know that!). Not at all easy, as they, at the least, were double layer.
    '11 MKT 3.5 EcoBoost AWD; '14 Jeep Cherokee Ltd. V6 AWD
    '00 Regal 29' Commodore twin 4.3L

I'm hoping someone has the DVD and is willing to let me borrow it. The damn thing costs $159. I'm going to have to bite the bullet if someone doesn't have it.

Check Ebay. I paid full price for a couple of updates, then I found a Garmin portable unit with lifetime maps and traffic for less than the price of a single OEM update. The Garmin works better too.

I have a Tom Tom with lifetime maps but my wife has it in her car. I ended up finding a DVD to buy. I was under the assumption the maps were just downloaded and the DVD removed. I educated myself and now know they are read off the disc. Silly me.

I just installed version 7.0x on my 09 MKX. Unfortunately you cannot buy a used DVD and install it. There is a 16-character license key that's needed during the installation and it's based on the ESN of each specific radio. I imagine that this is done to prevent anyone from selling their navigation update on Ebay after they finished installing it in their car. There are two disks, disk one has the software program and disk two has the navigation and grace-notes.

BTW beest21, after installing the updates, the system reboots and the DVD's are no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma-2 View Post
    I just installed version 7.0x on my 09 MKX. Unfortunately you cannot buy a used DVD and install it. There is a 16-character license key that's needed during the installation and it's based on the ESN of each specific radio. I imagine that this is done to prevent anyone from selling their navigation update on Ebay after they finished installing it in their car. There are two disks, disk one has the software program and disk two has the navigation and grace-notes.

BTW beest21, after installing the updates, the system reboots and the DVD's are no longer needed.
    Yours is a different system. The 2008's have a Pioneer unit. DVD stays in. I sold my old DVD on this forum with no complaints from the purchaser.

Correct. Prior to 2009, the Nav systems were DVD based. These systems required the DVD to remain in place for the system to function. Many of these cars had the 6-disc CD changer. For these systems the license key is built into the DVD, so it's possible to use the same DVD in a different car.

In 2009, the systems were updated with a hard-drive based Nav system. These have a (probably) 20 GB hard drive inside that stores the maps and any music that the user wants to rip from CD's. For these systems the DVDs are only necessary for the install process, and there is a license code required which is based on the individual radio as mentioned above.

I know this thread is old but I have 13p if you want and it didn't come with the car.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by dcapper View Post
    I know this thread is old but I have 13p if you want and it didn't come with the car.
    i know your post is old, but i might be interested in this if you still have it