• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

125k tune up

Android29

Hey my ride quality has been getting worse, or its the Colorado roads, and am gonna take it in to the dealer for an inspection to see what they find. As an example of why I am doing this is, a road that is pretty notorious for being bad in a new car felt like an amusement park ride in the mkt. Also on my highway drive today there were some strong gusts and it was almost a battle to keep her in the lane.

Also have been noticing a loss of power, almost seems to be in the tranny cause it goes away a bit after driving it a little vigorously. I can explain it further if anyone wants in a specific thread. I'm thinking of getting a transmission flush, doubt it has ever been done to this car, to see if that'll fix it.

Can Anyone else think of some things they should be checking and servicing? I'm kinda on a blank slate as I dont know how the previous owners took care of the girl. Judging by the paint it wasnt too good. Been trying to slowly get her in a better condition, really oil changes, regular washing, attempting the routine maintenance ect.

jkeaton

Not sure I'd flush a high mileage transmission unless it's had regular flushes. I've heard bad things can happen.

Android29

Not sure I'd flush a high mileage transmission unless it's had regular flushes. I've heard bad things can happen.
I have too, however I have a 3rd party warranty if something does occur. To me it feels like it needs a new one anyway. Hate the fact that the manual calls for a total tranny rebuild at 150k instead of regular flushes.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Yeah, sorry bout that! 2012 3.5 ecoboost.
You definitely should look at Spark plugs too .. basically the complete Tune-Up needed if its not done.. BTW, what part of Colorado are you from? Have u tried keeping the suspension to Sport and seen if it makes a difference? (Maybe less Boaty ride?) I have never had place to keep mine in comfort except on long distance highway runs.

As far as fighting with the highway draft, I have not had it that bad though.. Had a chrysler 300 before this which was even worse than the MKT.

Last edited:

Android29

You definitely should look at Spark plugs too .. basically the complete Tune-Up needed if its not done.. BTW, what part of Colorado are you from? Have u tried keeping the suspension to Sport and seen if it makes a difference? (Maybe less Boaty ride?) I have never had place to keep mine in comfort except on long distance highway runs.

As far as fighting with the highway draft, I have not had it that bad though.. Had a chrysler 300 before this which was even worse than the MKT.
I'm in Arvada but kinda travel all over colorado, this weekend alone I've gone as far north as Loveland and as far south as Highlands Ranch. And my mkt is pre hydraulic, or however its controlled, suspension of the 13 and newer Mkts. I dont have a sport option.

Along with that, I'm almost having the opposite effect, like as if mine were leaking. You can feel every single imperfection in the road, it rides terribly rough on surface streets, highway is better just because of the higher speeds.

It was along c-470 when it happened, I have driven multiple makes, models and types down that road in simmilar conditions and have never had it that bad. When it first happened I thought I had a flat tire or something of the like.

I did notice that a tie rod has cracked rubber. No boat like bouncing from what I have been able to perform. Some things I noticed when I did do some of the tests for bad shocks was that the rear were fairly easy to push down, and when pulling the wheels a bit the car started swaying side to side pretty easily.

Also with the spark plugs, I checked them, even bought new plugs just in case, and they were fine. No misfires or grumbles, but I'm getting very nervous about my timing chain in all honesty.

On another note entirely. Yet still having to do with this, I'm very tempted to go find a used 13 or newer to compare ride comfort, haha!!!

Last edited:

jkeaton

I have too, however I have a 3rd party warranty if something does occur. To me it feels like it needs a new one anyway. Hate the fact that the manual calls for a total tranny rebuild at 150k instead of regular flushes.
Better check your warranty fine print. If you flush it and something does happen, they could deny coverage because it was flushed. 3rd party warranties usually try real hard to get out of paying any claim.

Android29

Better check your warranty fine print. If you flush it and something does happen, they could deny coverage because it was flushed. 3rd party warranties usually try real hard to get out of paying any claim.
I'll check my paperwork to see what it says.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA

2012 didn’t have Lincoln Drive Control, so no suspension settings.

Android29

Oh well that would suck. My bad then . I always thought the AWD EcoBoost models had them from beginning. Thanks for the correction
No problem man. I'm actually going by a Lincoln dealer just to test out a 15 with a 4th the mileage of mine. You know, just to check for the ride differencs.

Android29

what part of colorado are you located? I would highly recommend my dealer for getting any fixes done. They do value customer service a lot.
I'm closest to Sil Ter Har, but since their service switched, and them telling me my car was to old for a loaner after I gave them the keys to mine(wound up having to wait in the ex Jag show room for 30 mins waiting for a friend), I've become super disappointed with them. One I'm gonna be by today is landmark in Englewood.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
I'm closest to Sil Ter Har, but since their service switched, and them telling me my car was to old for a loaner after I gave them the keys to mine(wound up having to wait in the ex Jag show room for 30 mins waiting for a friend), I've become super disappointed with them. One I'm gonna be by today is landmark in Englewood.
That is surprising.. and quite funny. They are the ones I was going to suggest.. I love their service. Maybe having a warranty with them makes a difference. Their work has been pretty good on my MKT so far. Almost 14 months of ownership in (multiple visits for different small non-critical issues). I guess you are somewhere close to Broomfield then? I am about 3 miles away from Sil Terhar Lincoln (one of the reasons I bought a lincoln knowing how bad ford and lincoln reliabilty could be)

Android29

That is surprising.. and quite funny. They are the ones I was going to suggest.. I love their service. Maybe having a warranty with them makes a difference. Their work has been pretty good on my MKT so far. Almost 14 months of ownership in (multiple visits for different small non-critical issues). I guess you are somewhere close to Broomfield then? I am about 3 miles away from Sil Terhar Lincoln (one of the reasons I bought a lincoln knowing how bad ford and lincoln reliabilty could be)
I live in Arvada and Sil Ter Har was originally my favorite, and closest, service for my car. I got caught durring their transition from Ford/Lincoln service to just Lincoln, so that could have been a factor. When the two were in a combined service, I always had a Lincoln loaner, and very prompt and easy service. Even when I had the power steering fault and came in after closing I had a loaner and excellent service. Then as soon as they switched to solely Lincoln, I no longer got as well of service. Phone tag, lot of waiting, and I could no longer request a loaner due to my cars age. I'll probably try them again some day however.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
I live in Arvada and Sil Ter Har was originally my favorite, and closest, service for my car. I got caught durring their transition from Ford/Lincoln service to just Lincoln, so that could have been a factor. When the two were in a combined service, I always had a Lincoln loaner, and very prompt and easy service. Even when I had the power steering fault and came in after closing I had a loaner and excellent service. Then as soon as they switched to solely Lincoln, I no longer got as well of service. Phone tag, lot of waiting, and I could no longer request a loaner due to my cars age. I'll probably try them again some day however.
I had no idea age of the vehicle mattered for a loaner vehicle. I think if you have a warranty with them, this should not be an issue. They give Volvo and Lincoln Loaners. I schedule based on the timing of a loaner availability. I do however hope, that by the time my MKT is old enough, there will be a few Aviators in the used market to take opportunity. It is the only reasonable lincoln replacement I can think of for the MKT. For your issue, you may definitely want to try the CRC DI Cleaner treatment on your ecoboost. Should help a lot. Also, for your fuel system cleaning, the Chevron Techron is much suggested (Not everything is snake oil). if the previous owners never maintained it well, there will be a lot of things in the future to go wrong so atleast start with the de-gunking process to see if it makes things better or fixes any of the issues.

Although, after you said Arvada, it is making a lot of sense why you feel the ride is floaty/bumpy.. the roads here are terrible for a planted smooth ride even at city speeds

Android29

I had no idea age of the vehicle mattered for a loaner vehicle. I think if you have a warranty with them, this should not be an issue. They give Volvo and Lincoln Loaners. I schedule based on the timing of a loaner availability. I do however hope, that by the time my MKT is old enough, there will be a few Aviators in the used market to take opportunity. It is the only reasonable lincoln replacement I can think of for the MKT. For your issue, you may definitely want to try the CRC DI Cleaner treatment on your ecoboost. Should help a lot. Also, for your fuel system cleaning, the Chevron Techron is much suggested (Not everything is snake oil). if the previous owners never maintained it well, there will be a lot of things in the future to go wrong so atleast start with the de-gunking process to see if it makes things better or fixes any of the issues.

Although, after you said Arvada, it is making a lot of sense why you feel the ride is floaty/bumpy.. the roads here are terrible for a planted smooth ride even at city speeds
Thanks for the advise! Yeah, I'm seriously hoping she will last long enough for an aviator grand touring, maybe black label, are a decent price used. Those hp and torque numbers with that interior are a great combo. Just hope it has enough headroom. Great think about the mkt, even with the seat slammed and fully back, I can sit behind myself in a relatively comfortable position.

HTML