Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 2013 MKZ Hybrid electrical failure
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Remove this ad
    This is my first time posting on this site. I picked up my smoked quartz Z-HYBRID with every option, except for massaging seats and rear air bag seatbelts on April 29. With 1500km I'm averaging 5.7 litres/100 and thoroghly enjoy this car with all its options. Within 4 days, the auto locking feature that syncs with the key fob started to act up - it won't allow me to lock the door buy touching the top of the door handle and the car will flash its marker lights until I walk 3-4 feet away, I assume out of range. When I return, it won't allow me to unlock the car by touching the inside of the handle, I need to unlock by pressing the unlock button on the key fob. Furthermore, this acts up unpredictably, it works as engineered for 100km and than is flawed for 200km and than works again?

So, I went to my Lincoln dealer and the service manager reviewed this issue and proceeded to book a service appointment for May 9th. I'm hoping there is an easy fix, maybe as simple as a defective key fob or sensor? I'm concerned however that this could be a precursor to electrical gremlins even though everything else has worked flawlessly otherwise.

On a different note, this car is a joy to drive. The adaptive cruise control with lane keeping feature makes driving during heavy traffic that much more bearable. The pany-roof is awesome, it exposes you to the outside elements similar to a convertible without all the wind noise, dirt, excessive heat that comes with owning a full convertible car. Yesterday I was cruising the 401 on a beautifull spring day with the driver assist technology engaged and pany wide open while testing the upper limits of the THX system - all while driving in full EV mode. This was deffinetly a diffrent driving experience one that will take a long time, if ever, to grow old on me.

Hi TreeMan67,Welcome to the forum. As you can see,tcsdoc is really having major electrical problems with his Z-brid (I just made that up),one other person has reported a similar type problem. But most new owners,like you,are very positive with the car. We are all trading information and helping out to get the best out of our new Z. I am currently waiting for my ordered Z-brid so I can not add much to what you are all first hand experiencing. Thank you for taking time to give us your input,and keep us up to date on how your Lincoln dealership is handling your concerns. I can picture you with a big smile driving the 401 (where is this?),top opened, music playing,spring air. This what driving a car should feel like. Jim

Getting back to the spare tire (or lack thereof). It's the latest trend among car makers because it reduces cost, and more importantly, reduces weight (increasing fuel mileage). In addition to the MKZ, I own a Saturn Sky, which does not have a spare tire. That fact caused me to hesitate before buying the Sky, but then I realized that in 51 years of driving, I had only had one instance where an air pump would not have enabled me to at least get to a place where I could get a tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
    Getting back to the spare tire (or lack thereof). It's the latest trend among car makers because it reduces cost, and more importantly, reduces weight (increasing fuel mileage). In addition to the MKZ, I own a Saturn Sky, which does not have a spare tire. That fact caused me to hesitate before buying the Sky, but then I realized that in 51 years of driving, I had only had one instance where an air pump would not have enabled me to at least get to a place where I could get a tire.
    My thoughts exactly, I posted the same experience I had owning 4 cars so far. Never once did I had to take out the spare tire( full and donut). Even if there is a flat and the compressor/fix a flat didn't work, you can always call LCS. It's just a matter of time and possibly no reception where you're at.

I have recently viewed a video(you tube),on how these compressors work. I was impressed. You screw a can of the sealer onto the compressor,then connect to outlet in the car then onto the tire,just like you were going to fill with just air,but now the air travels through the sealer fluid into the tire. You ride about a mile on the tire,so that the sealer coats the inside of the tire,check the air,put more air in if needed,your good to go. Besides,the Ford parts man figured it would cost at least $400.00 with the jack for the set up. In a couple of years all cars will have this,but it is a benefit for hybrids because of weight and room. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimflutes View Post
    I have recently viewed a video(you tube),on how these compressors work. I was impressed. You screw a can of the sealer onto the compressor,then connect to outlet in the car then onto the tire,just like you were going to fill with just air,but now the air travels through the sealer fluid into the tire. You ride about a mile on the tire,so that the sealer coats the inside of the tire,check the air,put more air in if needed,your good to go. Besides,the Ford parts man figured it would cost at least $400.00 with the jack for the set up. In a couple of years all cars will have this,but it is a benefit for hybrids because of weight and room. Jim
    you should check more videos from fordowner. There are a lot of good videos that that applies to the MKZ as well specifically the fusions and some of the tech packages.

Serraph, Thank you,I am checking out both Fordowner and now Lincolnowner,Great videos and plenty of new information. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimflutes View Post
    I don't know if this is true in all cases, but in my SKY, you can bypass the sealer and just fill with air. If you just have a slow leak, that would be a better way to go. By the way, I also carry a tire plug kit.

Back to the electrical issue. Latest update:
    Don't put much stock in Lincoln Customer Care. My rep still hasn't contacted me, even though both the Service Manager and the owner sent her an email telling her to call me. After getting the case re-opened, I still haven't heard from anyone. My car went into the shop on April 13th and today is May 3rd. Attempts to speak with Lincoln Customer Care, 22 ; Number of times I've spoken to a rep, 1.
    The part to repair my car (hopefully) is no longer on back order but because it's from the vendor, no shipping status can be determined. I have no idea when my car will be fixed yet Lincoln will not respond to repeated contact attempts.
    I'm glad others are enjoying their Z-Brid but remember how Lincoln treats its buyers when things go wrong.
    To me, the biggest responsibility a car company has is after they have my money. From my perspective, this is the last Ford product I'll own.

tcsdoc,Very disheartening news. I would like write to Lincoln Customer Care and voice my concerns,based on the treatment that you have received. I would want to know if this is the way we can all expect to be treated,if something goes wrong with our car. Do I look up Lincoln Customer Care address and write to them,or is there a more specific address? Do I mention your case number? Jim

On a happier note ..... another 500 mile tank of gas
    John

Jimflites: I will try to get you an email address.
    Update: Finally got through to Cassidy's supervisor, Jim. He dropped the ball (his words) on keeping up with my case and promised to contact me on Monday (6th of May) with updated shipping status on the part. During this conversation I discovered the problem with the starting/stopping loud relay click was omitted from their information. I told them fixing the electrical problem was only one problem to be fixed and the clicking must also be fixed. He told me it was now on their records as items to fix prior to closing my case.

We are fast approaching my car being in their garage longer than mine.

John,Thank so much for that happy note ( 38.8 I'll take all day). tcsdoc, Yes I am getting depressed reading your story ( in their garage longer than mine!),I can only imagine how it is sitting with you. Yes,I would like to write to someone about this,I feel as someone who has one on order,I have a right to ask questions in support of you,I don't know if something like this might befall me also. Give me an e-mail or address,and if possible a case number. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tcsdoc View Post
    Back to the electrical issue. Latest update:
    Don't put much stock in Lincoln Customer Care. My rep still hasn't contacted me, even though both the Service Manager and the owner sent her an email telling her to call me. After getting the case re-opened, I still haven't heard from anyone. My car went into the shop on April 13th and today is May 3rd. Attempts to speak with Lincoln Customer Care, 22 ; Number of times I've spoken to a rep, 1.
    The part to repair my car (hopefully) is no longer on back order but because it's from the vendor, no shipping status can be determined. I have no idea when my car will be fixed yet Lincoln will not respond to repeated contact attempts.
    I'm glad others are enjoying their Z-Brid but remember how Lincoln treats its buyers when things go wrong.
    To me, the biggest responsibility a car company has is after they have my money. From my perspective, this is the last Ford product I'll own.
    That's really disappointing to hear. My LCS has been in contact with me every week for the pre orders and every week for the popping/clicking noise that I hear. It's been on some Fusions as well. I think it's an isolated incident but doesn't mean it's not important. Perhaps it's out of their hands and are waiting parts. You could try escalating to their supervisors or some one with more authority on the issue.

Get the lemon book out and follow the procedures for getting a new car and/or your money back. The Lemon Law is there to protect you and believe me, Lincoln will (should) step up and take that mess from you and give you a brand new car. Under the lemon law, they have three chances to fix the problem and then you can start the process of giving back.

Go to Ford Motor Company website, get the email address for marketing and PR and tell them you're about to bring your car to reviewed by the local news team. Tell them you want them to test drive your car. Sorry, but, it's not even safe to drive and Lincoln/Ford knows it. Did you lease, finance or buy it with cash?

MKZLover, That is a very good suggestion. I have talked with with some friends about tcsdoc's problem,they all agreed that this sounded like a lemon law case. There are lawyers that excel in doing just lemon law cases,if you do not feel confident to pursue this on your own. This is really getting interesting! Jim

It keeps getting worse. I received another call from Scott, my service rep's supervisor and was told Ford is now implementing a new ordering process from vendors. The part that I need will take longer to get to the dealer since it's being ordered under the new system.

Today is day number 25 without my car. I still do not have an ETA for the part's arrival. The truly sad part is the dealership it's only 90% sure this will fix the car. They can't guarantee it.

It keeps getting worse. I received another call from Scott, my service rep's supervisor and was told Ford is now implementing a new ordering process from vendors. The part that I need will take longer to get to the dealer since it's being ordered under the new system.

Today is day number 25 without my car. I still do not have an ETA for the part's arrival. The truly sad part is the dealership it's only 90% sure this will fix the car. They can't guarantee it.
    Curious, you don't live in Oregon by any chance do you?

Mississippi.

Mississippi.
    Ah, my service manager mention some one in worst condition and has his entire car shipped back to Flat Rock apparently in pieces or something.

Quick Update on My Electrical Issue:

Being May 9th, I brought the car in today and within a few hours received a call from the service rep as was told that the malfunctioning auto locks/key fod is a programing issue and that "Lincoln engineering is working on a repair in Michigan, this is a common issue with Z-Hybrid cars, it should take approximately 2 weeks to figure out and will likely require a flash update to fix the problem". In the meantime I'm driving my car with this minor annoyance - everything else works as advertised. So I'll wait 2 weeks and follow up at such time. As a side note, my last tank of gas averaged a real world 5.6 L/100km or the equivalent to 42 miles/gallon. With a hyper-mile attitude, I don't see why one can't reach the advertised 45 miles/gallon level using summer gas while driving in cooler spring conditions (little use of AC, no warm up time etc.).

TreeMan67, Thank you for the updates,as we are all concerned about any electrical issue because of tscdoc's problems. When you say a flash update,does that mean they send you a flash card that you plug into the cars computer,and that will fix the locking/unlocking problem? Or does the dealership do this for you? Your mpg sounds real good. Jim

Update: finally got movement on my car. The stack console arrived yesterday and installed with no reported errors. I'm told the front end clicking noise is coming from the left side axle and they had to order replacement bolts to inspect damage. They believe it's due to a lubricating issue. They can duplicate the issue by rocking the car. I hope this is the same noise I was hearing. If all goes well, I should have my car today.
    Here's hoping!!!

Remove this ad
    Treemman67: I noticed your referencing metric. Are you basing the gas amount on an Imperial gallon or US gallon? I've often read this is confusing when discussing gas mileage.
    When I had my car, the best I could get was 37 mpg (based on a US gallon) in town. I haven't gone on a road trip yet but will to verify the cars repair. I'll. check long range mileage then.