Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
    Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)

2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited

Remove this ad
    I bought my car on 7 March 2008 (when 10 months old) with 14,000 kilometers (8,700 miles) on odometer. It now has 82,000 kilometers (51,000 miles). I was used to medium and large sized family cars and trucks so the Town Car just looked fabulous, my retirement present. The exterior is cashmere and the interior light grey leather with darker grey carpeting.

It is very comfortable and quiet and I feel very safe in it (that gets to be quite important later in life). The seats and driving position are very comfortable even after a full day at the wheel of 10 hours or more. Access is very easy with the seats at a perfect height, just slide right in, no lifting or lowering needed. Visibility for the driver through all windows is excellent since the belt line is in the right place. The trunk is huge. The rear seats hold 3 very large people comfortably with lots of legroom, even when front seats are way back. The seats have a soft feel that is very comfortable and supportive because you don't sink down into them. The same year Mercury Grand Marquis has very hard seats that I don't find comfortable.

It takes no effort to drive, so you don't feel tired. At idle you just hear the heater fan slightly, cannot hear the engine. Moderate acceleration is very quiet too. Spirited acceleration brings on a "performance" noise from intake and exhaust. At cruising speed all is quiet so you can talk to people in front and back without raising your voice or adjusting the radio (it automatically increases volume as speed increases) but stays in the background just like at idle. The sound system has 9 speakers and is very clear, but I am not into music.

The brakes are very large with vented rotors front and back. The feel of the brakes is soft but very powerful due to the dual diaphragm booster and probably the ceramic like pads. Brakes are far superior to the earlier models. My car probably weighs about 4,200 to 4,400 lbs, much heavier than earlier models, so good brakes are necessary and appreciated.

The Town Car handles very well. It feels planted on the road and is not upset by any irregularities in surface condition. It handles corners in a confidence inspiring way, with little lean and easily keeps up with traffic on the twisty roads around here. The major upgrade to box the frame and change the steering and rear suspension and put the shocks outboard of the frame made a huge difference. An old 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis that I drove (302 engine) had very soft suspension and seats and rode very smoothly, but is no comparison for comfort and stability of the latest Town Cars, and it used a lot more fuel, even though at least 500 lbs lighter.

The latest transmission 4R75E is very smooth for a Ford and the wide range gears make it much less fussy than the 6 speed transmissions in the Explorer V8 with 6R60 transmission and the 2013 Lincoln MKS. The Town Car drives at lower revs for any given speed, which helps the fuel efficiency.

I keep track of all my fuel used in a little book, and the fuel economy is about 10 liters per 100 kilometers (23.6 miles per US gallon) in the summer for mixed driving, and 11.5 liters per 100 kilometers (21 miles per US gallon) in the winter where the number of short trips takes a toll. On a trip on the highway the computer usually indicates about 8.4 liters per 100 kilometers (28 miles per US gallon) but at the end of the day after city driving a bit the computer indicates about 9 liters per 100 kilometers (26 miles per US gallon). I accelerate easily just to keep up with the traffic and cruise at 105 kilometers per hour (65 mph) where the limit is 100 kph (62 mph). I have driven my Town car 67,549 kilometers (41,973 miles) and used 7,362.7 liters of fuel (1945.2 US gallons) with at an overall average rate of 10.8 liters per 100 kilometers (22 miles per US gallon) with 193 fuel fill ups.

Access to all components for maintenance is very easy. I am not a fan of electronic gizmos so the Town Car has everything I need in a simple to operate package.

Winter driving with the stock 225/60R17 Michelin LX4 tires was terrible. The worse traction of any car I have driven with new tires, so new alloy wheels and 215/65R17 Toyo Observe G-02 winter tires were purchased immediately. Traction and stability improved dramatically. My car is very stable in all icy and snowy conditions, even crossing the deep slush between lanes. I don't add any weight to the trunk, just keep the fuel tank filled.

In terms of problems, my experience is:
    1. The second winter in the very cold -30 C temperatures the front passenger was cold, so the two actuators for the floor and defrost doors were replaced (dash removal) and the two blend door actuators were replaced (easy access). Everything has been good since.
    2. The trans seemed to shudder a few times, and later there was a sudden shift from overdrive and wrench appeared in message center that was diagnosed as a DTC P0610 by me, P061B by Ford 2 years ago. The cause could not be diagnosed by Ford but a new throttle position sensor was installed and it has not returned.
    3. The Accumulator for the A/C developed a pinhole leak in 2011 and needed replacing.

I did try a 2013 Lincoln MKS to see how it would be for the future. It seems a bit small compared to the Town Car because the center console is confining and the high belt line significantly reduces visibility out the windows. It seems to be set up as a sports sedan and felt comfortable but taught, not relaxed like the Town Car. The all wheel drive rocketed me from a traffic light with the help of the very powerful engine and transmission. It is a fast car, and in "sport" mode shows you the gear you are in. It feels faster than the Town Car. The very low profile (45%) tires were not as punishing as I expected, but the roads were not rough either. The Town Car has much better instrumentation for the driver, not so glitzy, but displays more real info all the time. The auxiliary controls are more comprehensive on the MKS, but the Town Car allows instant access and changes for the features available.

I expect to keep my Town Car for a long time.

Good luck
    Last edited by Town; 02-12-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Nice writeup Town. I think you snagged one of the last good ones. When they moved production to Canada, build quality started to take a dive.
    Nick

Past: 1967 Lincoln Continental convertible, 1987 LTC Cartier, 1996 LTC Signature, 1996 LTC DAE, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD
    Current: 2009 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4
    WANTED: 1967 Continental sedan or convertible
    In my dreams: Continental Mark II

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    The 2007 production of the Town Car was extended at Wixom to get the St Thomas, Ontario, Canada production site ready. St Thomas was already building the other Panther models with one of the highest production quality of any Ford facility. The Town Car was set up as a separate production line with the Wixom equipment moved there, and not part of the Crown Vic and Mercury Grand Marquis production line.

I think the Canadian workers do a great job. The Consumer Reports rate the individual reliability categories about the same for the 2008 and up models compared to the 2007 model and earlier.

But I am biased.

I am not faulting any one thing, but I have seen a lot of first hand accounts that build quality unfortunately suffered in the last years. More than likely, it was Ford cutting corners on quality control because they knew the car was being phased out anyways.
    Nick

Past: 1967 Lincoln Continental convertible, 1987 LTC Cartier, 1996 LTC Signature, 1996 LTC DAE, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD

I am seriously considering snagging a Town Car (for the last few months there have been some fantastic super low mileage TC's on craigslist) so I should consider focusing 2007 and earlier built in Windsor ?

Quote Originally Posted by matt heebner View Post
    I am seriously considering snagging a Town Car (for the last few months there have been some fantastic super low mileage TC's on craigslist) so I should consider focusing 2007 and earlier built in Windsor ?
    The 2007 and earlier Town Cars were built in the US at the Wixom assembly plant in Michigan. The 2008 and up were built in St Thomas Ontario Canada and are just as good (in my opinion). The 2008 and 2009 are much the same as the 2007, with some concerns corrected (so that makes them better). Some 2010 and 2011 models (but not all) did not come with air springs, etc so you need to get a spec for the particular car you are wanting to buy.

Talk to your local Ford/Lincoln dealer and see if he will do a VIN look up and get the specs for you.

Be careful of flood damaged cars.

Good luck.

A number of people think the air suspension is not worth keeping on a Town Car and think converting to steel coil springs will give the same results at a cheaper price.

The air suspension is self damping so less firm shocks are required. The air suspension keeps the car level so driving at night gives a better beam spread and lessens the glare to oncoming traffic. When the car is loaded the ride height is maintained so the steering always feels right and not the unstable feeling you get when rear suspension is lowered by a significant rear load. A couple of years ago I was laying pavers for my driveway and path and needed a lot more. I filled my trunk on several occasions with the very large pavers. The suspension dropped very low, but when I turned the ignition switch on the compressor soon lifted the car back up to level. The drive home was normal, no effect on steering.

The air suspension on a Town Car is excellent and worth maintaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    A number of people think the air suspension is not worth keeping on a Town Car and think converting to steel coil springs will give the same results at a cheaper price.

The air suspension is self damping so less firm shocks are required. The air suspension keeps the car level so driving at night gives a better beam spread and lessens the glare to oncoming traffic. When the car is loaded the ride height is maintained so the steering always feels right and not the unstable feeling you get when rear suspension is lowered by a significant rear load. A couple of years ago I was laying pavers for my driveway and path and needed a lot more. I filled my trunk on several occasions with the very large pavers. The suspension dropped very low, but when I turned the ignition switch on the compressor soon lifted the car back up to level. The drive home was normal, no effect on steering.

The air suspension on a Town Car is excellent and worth maintaining.

I agree. The air suspensions on these cars really are good systems. Most people do not understand them despite their simplicity. When air springs start to fail at around 15 years of age, a lot of folks say the system is "troublesome". Try using the same tires for 15 years without replacing them and see where that gets them.... I had the air suspension on both of my 96's and would not trade them for standard coil springs. We once loaded the trunk clear to the top and four of us adults rode to Florida and the rear of the car was the correct height the whole way. Can't beat it.
    Nick

jimisbell is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2007 Town Car Signature Limited and 1956 MKII Continental, technically NOT a Lincoln
    These comments make me glad I waded through all the TCs I saw and bought my 07. Its a sister to Town's, same model, same color and within 10K of the same mileage.

Cruzn is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2007 Town Car Signature Limited
    These comments are most helpful and very accurate. I Just treated myself to a 2007 Town Car Signature Limited White/Beige interior 76000 KMS (I previously had Cadillac Deville's / DTS). The previous owner also included 2 fairly new snow tires, and he had recently put 2 new 225/60R17 Michelin LX4 tires on the front, but the rear tires will need replacing soon. I was thinking of putting new 225/60R17 Michelin LX4 tires on the rear to be consistent with the front to maintain the ride, would you agree with this. I will put the snow tires on if we have an early winter but I usually head south in mid/late January and wanted better rear tires for the trip. I am located a couple of hundred KM'S southwest of you in Brighton, On. Thanks
    Norm (Senior also)

You are very close to Lake Ontario, so do you get "lake effects snow" there? I have some relatives in Gananoque and they don't seem to get much snow or bad weather there. They don't use snow tires on their vehicles.

I know some people like the Michelin Energy LX4, they wear very evenly, have reasonably good traction in the dry and wet, however, they do not last that long, do not resist hydroplaning very well, and are a bit harsh on broken pavement for me, and terrible in winter with just a little snow and ice. I would trade the 2 new LX4 tires for 4 Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring tires or the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires if you are a Michelin fan.

Two winter tires on the rear of a Town Car is not a recommended approach because it will unbalance the car. Braking and steering are critical factors in winter and the front tires (LX4) being terrible in winter snow and ice will not stop you or turn your car. The snow tires will push you through corners that the LX4 fronts cannot handle and you will be understeering into the ditch or someones back end or a big truck's front end. You need 4 winter tires not 2.

For winter I like the Toyo Observe G-02 plus because they work well on ice and snow and slush. The Michelin and Bridgstones work just as well on ice maybe but they cannot handle slush very well and I have used the Michelin winter tires. I bought the latest Toyo winter tires for my son's Caravan to keep the family safe.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for the informative response, I will look into your suggestion's. The Goodyear does not come in the 225/60R/17 size would the 215/60R/17 be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
    Thanks very much for the informative response, I will look into your suggestion's. The Goodyear does not come in the 225/60R/17 size would the 215/60R/17 be a good fit.
    Yes, the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring tires come in size 225/60R17 for the stock fit, here is the link: http://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/a...41348732900000 for the Goodyear Canada listing of the tire matched to your car. I will be buying the 235/60R17 size in the fall or next spring.

Good luck.

Thanks again for your help

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    I advise everyone to check out my thread's topic: 2007 TC Designer Electrical Issues

As all auto manufacturers attempt to maintain control of service on any vehicle, repairs will become very costly. For me, I feel that my next car will either be sold off before the factory warranty expires or it will be a leased car. If you're not going to be able to repair your own car's computer controlled items, with good used parts that no longer can be reprogrammed, why keep a car long term as very costly repairs will take place. What is the lifespan of a cell phone or computer? Since the time I purchased my 2007 TC in January 2007, I've had several cell phone and computers as it didn't pay to repair them! Sounds like this is the goal of all vehicle manufacturers. My DDM repair ended up costing over $535 vs a repair I could have done for around $100 with reprogramming IF that was still possible. My car still has 10 other modules that can't be reprogrammed.

From what I read or heard, Ford is having issues with their computer controlled entertainment systems. Maybe a totally restored old car might be the way to go at this point in time! Just think about it--a car that anyone can fix!

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    So in the end, I had total disregard for what I warned about with my 2007 TC Designer. Looking back, it was or is a great car. I was annoyed that something failed ( DDM) that I couldn't repair without a hook up to Ford's factory data base to download the information for my car. As a test, I offered it for sale on eBay using KBB price guide of $12,000. I got two bids, ended the auction and the car is now on its way to Germany. I included the shop manuals, touch up paint, full size spare tire and my spare NOS driver's seat lower cover.

Now looking back with 20/20 hindsight, the TC was the wrong vehicle for my retirement location in AZ. My replacement vehicle, 2014 Lincoln Navigator is loaded with electronic "stuff" and will be great for going to ghost towns and other locations off of paved roads--where I would not drive the Town car. Not H.D. off roading but enough to require a different vehicle. In just under four years, I plan to move on to something else,
    Last edited by mark95man; 12-31-2013 at 09:52 AM.

zinctwentyone is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2005 Lincoln Town car
    Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
    These comments are most helpful and very accurate. I Just treated myself to a 2007 Town Car Signature Limited White/Beige interior 76000 KMS (I previously had Cadillac Deville's / DTS). The previous owner also included 2 fairly new snow tires, and he had recently put 2 new 225/60R17 Michelin LX4 tires on the front, but the rear tires will need replacing soon. I was thinking of putting new 225/60R17 Michelin LX4 tires on the rear to be consistent with the front to maintain the ride, would you agree with this. I will put the snow tires on if we have an early winter but I usually head south in mid/late January and wanted better rear tires for the trip. I am located a couple of hundred KM'S southwest of you in Brighton, On. Thanks
    Norm (Senior also)
    I also went from a DTS to the Town car and I have to agree with Town above on the handling and the way it sticks to the road. I have driven Porsche cars and exotics for the last 15 years so I know what its like to drive normally at 130 on a track, the DTS was a big failure for me after 65mpg. I was pleasantly surprised with the town car at higher speeds. Feels great on the road, absolutely no shaking and all though the DTS was slightly quicker, the Town car blows it away driving wise in every aspect. We do miss the nicer carpeting, larger seating area in the front of the caddy but thats it, i would much rather have the safety at higher speeds.