07 Town Car air vent issue

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
You need to run an EATC self test, that will show any problems in the system. The self test can be found in the Lincoln Tech forum in post #13 of this thread: http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/10459-Town-Car-EATC-Self-test/page2 the EATC screen will show any DTC that are present, a 4 digit number, that will point to an actuator problem or other issue.

The defrost/panel mode door actuator needs the dash removed for replacement. The actuators are not expensive so some replace all 4 while in there.

Good luck.

Thanks. My mechanic had it for a day and it won't duplicate the problem for him lol he said he could do everything like you said but no way to say it wouldn't happen again.
Frank

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
An intermittent problem is hard to diagnose, but I think being able to run the self test will help you if the problem returns. You need something to go on rather than just changing parts, and since the EATC has been replaced and the problem still exists you need some diagnostic help.

Good luck

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Last night a similar thing happened on my car soon after starting off. The EATC was in Auto and the A/C was manually switched off and the temperature settings were 20 C and 20 C. My wife switched on the A/C and reset the temperature to 21 C and 21 C. The A/C air started blowing through the defroster vents. I pressed the Floor/Panel manual control and the air was diverted to the panel and floor vents and the A/C automatically shut off (fan speed dropped markedly). I then pressed the Auto button and the A/C came on and directed air to the panel and everything was normal again.

This happened some time ago too and I tried all the EATC air distribution settings including off. The Floor/Panel control was pressed and the panel flowed air and pressing the Auto caused the system to work properly again. I do not have a clue as to why it happened or why the panel/floor button fixed it.

This may be a similar symptom to yours but with different vents involved.

Good luck.

Last night a similar thing happened on my car soon after starting off. The EATC was in Auto and the A/C was manually switched off and the temperature settings were 20 C and 20 C. My wife switched on the A/C and reset the temperature to 21 C and 21 C. The A/C air started blowing through the defroster vents. I pressed the Floor/Panel manual control and the air was diverted to the panel and floor vents and the A/C automatically shut off (fan speed dropped markedly). I then pressed the Auto button and the A/C came on and directed air to the panel and everything was normal again.

This happened some time ago too and I tried all the EATC air distribution settings including off. The Floor/Panel control was pressed and the panel flowed air and pressing the Auto caused the system to work properly again. I do not have a clue as to why it happened or why the panel/floor button fixed it.

This may be a similar symptom to yours but with different vents involved.

Good luck.
Yes it does. I have read that this issues happens a lot on the 07's. Does the complete dash have to be removed to get to all the actuators ? If so will I be able to do it my self? thanks for your replies..;)

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The dash needs to be removed for the 2 mode door actuators (the floor and panel/defrost), and at the same time the 2 blend door actuators can be replaced. The 2 blend door actuators can be replaced without removing the dash. In my case anyway, replacing the floor and panel/defrost actuators will not resolve anything. The Auto setting fails to activate the panel setting for the actuator and instead activates the defrost position, and I do not think that is possible in Auto. Auto just moves the airflow from floor to panel according to the temperature requirement. When I selected the manual floor and panel setting on the the EATC it activated the panel position just fine. So it isn't the actuator that is the problem in my opinion. Since you have changed the EATC control unit that is not the problem either.

I would suspect that the EATC program is giving wrong instructions under some circumstance in response to some variable. It may be possible to get a Ford dealer to look up this problem on their OASIS system for a solution.

If you want to remove the dash, I can post the procedures, and the procedures for replacement of the 4 actuators. A Ford dealer quoted 4 hours ($560) labour to replace the 4 actuators plus the cost of the actuators.

Good luck.

lenmar2c

NJ
The dash needs to be removed for the 2 mode door actuators (the floor and panel/defrost), and at the same time the 2 blend door actuators can be replaced. The 2 blend door actuators can be replaced without removing the dash. In my case anyway, replacing the floor and panel/defrost actuators will not resolve anything. The Auto setting fails to activate the panel setting for the actuator and instead activates the defrost position, and I do not think that is possible in Auto. Auto just moves the airflow from floor to panel according to the temperature requirement. When I selected the manual floor and panel setting on the the EATC it activated the panel position just fine. So it isn't the actuator that is the problem in my opinion. Since you have changed the EATC control unit that is not the problem either.

I would suspect that the EATC program is giving wrong instructions under some circumstance in response to some variable. It may be possible to get a Ford dealer to look up this problem on their OASIS system for a solution.

If you want to remove the dash, I can post the procedures, and the procedures for replacement of the 4 actuators. A Ford dealer quoted 4 hours ($560) labour to replace the 4 actuators plus the cost of the actuators.

Good luck.
Town, I know this is a really old post. But if your still here and able to post the procedures for replacement of the four actuators and most importantly the procedure for dash removal for a 2009 town car that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
Town, I know this is a really old post. But if your still here and able to post the procedures for replacement of the four actuators and most importantly the procedure for dash removal for a 2009 town car that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Same as a 2009.

2 Abrahams 4 Me

My air will not come out the vents only the floor I have changed the climate control box and still does the same thing I am wondering if its an actuators?
thanks for any help
Not a mechanic here but it could be blend doors. If so I believe the dashboard has to be dropped. If that's the case and you are planning to keep the car replace everything behind the dash like heater core and all other mechanical pieces as it is a big job to drop the dashes in these cars.