05 Town Car EvapLeak coming from rear of car

N Auto

Hello!

Friend brought me this car to inspect. I smoke tested the lines and found it was leaking from the passenger frame rail. I followed it back and seen there was a hose going into the frame from the canister. With the tire off I tried to see if I can find any other spots where the end to this hose might be. But I found nothing.... I can't find anything on this car and no one online has any videos even touching this hose. Tried to look for diagrams but didn't find anything that went into detail.

(Edit
K I'm noob at this evap game. Going to have to plug that hose and then re check the system since apparently the vent solenoid is always open usually when not self testing.)

Thanks!

Attachments

• LinkEvapLeak.jpg
    LinkEvapLeak.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

N Auto

So after commanding the vent solenoid to close. All of a sudden there are no leaks. But you can see that the fuel tank pressure wont go above 112. You can hear air going into the fuel tank, but alas there are no signs of any smoke coming out.

There anyone else on here that has had an issue with evap leaks that sound like this?

N Auto

Yea looks like he's getting a 442 code. (Small leak .04-inch)

We're in Las Vegas.

I was going to suggest to him that he runs out his gas out, so the tank isn't so heavy. Then drop the tank, spray some soapy water on top and around seals to see if there any bubbles.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Yea looks like he's getting a 442 code. (Small leak .04-inch)

We're in Las Vegas.

I was going to suggest to him that he runs out his gas out, so the tank isn't so heavy. Then drop the tank, spray some soapy water on top and around seals to see if there any bubbles.

Hi, N Auto.

In addition to your idea of dropping the tank and @CuttingToolGuy's suggestion to carefully inspect the fill tube, I would add inspecting the fill tube gasket. We're talking about a car that's almost 23 years old, that has spent some amount of time in the Nevada Desert. So, that gasket just might be having problems.

Good luck.