• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

05 Town Car Air Conditioner Failure. Compressor Clutch Will Not Engage

fjamesm

I have a 2005 T.C. that experienced air conditioner compressor failure. Did the "usual", replaced compressor (complete with clutch), accumulator, and orifice tube. Flushed and evacuated system.
Here is where it slams into a wall, Compressor clutch will not pull in when air condition is selected at climate control panel.
Checked the "usual" suspects (Fuse F11, Relay K201, and Diode D501) all checked good. Next moved on to the pressure and cycling switches (located on accumulator and compressor discharge tube) Again, they tested good, but I had spares, so replaced them anyway.
Still no air.
The next step was to force operation by grounding K201's coil terminal. The clutch pulled in, and compressor started.
Still no automatic operation from Climate controls in car.
At this point I'm pretty sure Climate control module has an issue, so I was able to get a hold of a known good DEATC module, plugged it in and did the whole reboot procedure.
Still no Air!
I do not have a schematic of the HVAC system, and the oblivious items aren't working.
Does anybody have any thoughts on something I may have overlooked and or access to a Climate system schematic?
Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated
Jim

fjamesm

Thanks!
Repaired 100's of these dam things, and never ran into this. Almost wondering if Climate Module signals PCM to trip ground to turn on clutch relay, and I have a PCM issue. With print should be able to get it solved
Jim

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thanks!
Repaired 100's of these dam things, and never ran into this. Almost wondering if Climate Module signals PCM to trip ground to turn on clutch relay (yes it does), and I have a PCM issue (or a diode issue). With print should be able to get it solved
Jim
Rather than a PCM issue you may have a diode issue. You will see in the cell 55 document the cell 55-5 page that contains a diode in the compressor circuit, I would change that diode because others have had diode problems in other circuits that were difficult to diagnose. Worth a try.

Attached are a number of documents that may help you. The diagnostic info is too big to attach, so I will extract what I think is pertinent and post later.

Good luck

Attachments

PATUSA

Dear all experience people,
I have 2003 Lincoln Town Car, it's been good with me since I had it brand new but last month the AC had problem and I already try the best to fix it but the compressor is still not engaging, if I connect directly pin 1 and pin 5 of the relay then the compressor was engaging and AC cold but I can't stop the compressor until turn off the engine. I did drove 2 hours in the weather 100F in California to get home. I parked and open the hood OMG the AC line was frozen and cover by the ice so I have took out the wire then the compressor stop working.
Here is all step I did try:

1. Replace 2 switch (low and high pressure)
2. Replace AC relay K201
3. Replace AC temperature sensor (at the firewall near by the end of spark plug on bank 1)
4. Check Freon
5. Replace the climate control
Any body experience with that issue. Please, help me out. Thanks all

PATUSA

I have 2003 Lincoln Town Car, it's been good with me since I had it brand new but last month the AC had problem and I already try the best to fix it but the compressor is still not engaging, if I connect directly pin 1 and pin 5 of the relay then the compressor was engaging and AC cold but I can't stop the compressor until turn off the engine. I did drove 2 hours in the weather 100F in California to get home. I parked and open the hood OMG the AC line was frozen and cover by the ice so I have took out the wire then the compressor stop working.

2. Replace AC relay K201
3. Replace AC temperature sensor (at the firewall near by the end of spark plug on bank 1)
4. Check Freon

PATUSA

2. Replace AC relay 204
3. Replace AC temperature sensor (at the firewall near by the last spark plug on bank 1)
4. Full re-charged Freon
6. Replacement the heater actuator blend door
7. Replacement the panel/defrost actuator blend door

GBM

The first problem is you bought a Ford product
I have a 1995 Ford F150 which has had AC problems on and off for years. I recently found out the factory installed a ' Teflon ball ' from 1992 t0 1996 INSTEAD of a normal schraeder Valve at the high side service port. All sorts of so called pros did not know that including my very good parts house. Found it on the internet, bought fitting that puts regular service valve ON TOP of that faulty design with a 8 point socket and it is perfect now. So your statement may really be true. And the idea that a ' blower control computer ' is allowed to shut down the whole air system is crazy.

Russ T.

Ford is the most reliably built American vehicles. I have been a Limo/Taxi driver for 28 years and have driven 'bout everything. I will die owning a Lincoln Town Car.

HTML