'03 TC vs. '06-ish GM 4x4 Diesel

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Slick Fan

Utah
Okay, this isn't a "kill story" per se, but a fun little road race. I'm still giggling. :D
BTW, the 2003 4.6 Lincoln Town Car isn't a slouch, not a ground-pounder, but it does get with the program when you mash the loud pedal! Still figuring the "by the ear" shift points at full throttle. (I need to get a tach on this thing, it's too quiet to guess)

I'm about 15 minutes away from the end of my daily "dreaded commute", when I stopped at a red light...door-to-door from some putz in a big flat black lifted Chebby 4x4 diesel with straight pipes. One of those guys you can hear blocks away & takes obvious glee in the fact that he can "fart" a bunch of black smoke over anyone behind him...anytime he flicks his big toe, while the tunes thump in his ears.
That guy.
He has been "farting" his way up this road for a 1/4 mile, and by a bit of luck, I landed in the left lane at this light. :D

This light is at the base of a long hill, on a 4-lane road...with maybe a 12% grade, so the "little guys" always struggle to get to speed. And as a result, anyone with some horseypower usually gets stuck behind some slow mover going door-to-door with another slow mover.
Last night was NOT that night. :) Last night, I had a clear track ahead of me & I was in a perfect sleeper. LOL!!

I have this light dialed...once the cross light goes red, wait 3 seconds, gas it & I'll launch 1 second before the light goes green. Perfect! I've eaten many a foe this way, but never in my TC.

Soo...here I am at the light, I've got Journey's greatest blasting on the CD, the sunroof is open & the tinted windows up. I can't see the dude in the truck & he can't see me. The cross light goes red & I think "why not?"...I clicked the O/D off. I launched just before the green.
I had him big time through 1 & 2, and I could hear that truck giving all it's got back there...even above my cranked CD. :D He caught me in 3rd, at about 60 mph...then once he had a length on me, he let off (skeered of the cops)...I stayed in it & shifted to 4th at 70, blowing by him. (What cop would believe I was racing in a Lincoln??) If caught, that dude was toast. He knew it, I knew it. I stayed in it. :D
I heard him wind up that turbo again after I had a length on him, and he passed me with ease at 85 (he was probably 90-ish), then he let off (big chicken!), I stayed in it & gave him a thumbs-up thru the sunroof as I passed him. No cops ahead...there rarely are right there at this time of evening & I knew it. hehe

So, not a "kill story", but it gave me that fond momentary "kid in me" feeling in my big unassuming Lincoln Town Car. My Townie gave me a big smile at the end of an otherwise mundane daily commute. I like this car more every day, for various reasons. Considering my Townie is rapidly approaching the 200K mark & the tranny is kinda "iffy", I don't think I'll do this again anytime soon. :)
I'll wait until I meet that guy again on my street bike, then try as he might, there will be NO catching me. That bike lays waste to any cager! :cool:

The "sleeper"...
ynpJ6L6s.jpg

driller

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Morgantown, WV
I once bracket raced my Town Car at a track event. "Silent" was the most often heard comment. Not a chance anyone could match my deadly consistent 16 second plus dial-in and I managed good lights through it all to pick up a trophy at the end of the day. :cool:

Slick Fan

Utah
That would be fun to do! :D Not necessarily the fastest guy on the track, but still plenty of fun...and a trophy to boot!

zinctwentyone

I am surprised a big diesel truck like that even came close in comparison to these. On a side note, after seeing a few of the fender accents on this site I have been contemplating myself going with those on mine as soon as I am finished getting the final mechanical touches to the 66. It seems they really make these Town cars look great compared to none.

Slick Fan

Utah
I'm sure that if I hadn't completely caught this guy by surprise, I wouldn't have done as well as I did. LOL!

I must admit, the first time I laid eyes on my TC, my first thought was to yank the wheel well trim off. But once I noticed they are factory pieces, I decided to see if they would grow on me...they did, I like 'em just fine now. :)

mark95man

I don't think that wheel opening trim was ever installed at the factory. Unless you purchased the car new or have the ordering information, a dealership installed them to make more $$$. When I was in the market for a new 07TC, they all had these + other stuff installed by the dealers. I found one dealer who didn't install these unless the buyer wanted them. My car didn't have them or the other stuff.

Slick Fan

Utah
Mark95, that's good to know! Mine are screwed on & fit very well, so because of that & the fact that I see them on so many TC's, I just assumed they were factory items. So, thanks for clarifying this for me. :)