03 aviator

Blade

Buying a new Lincoln...not a thunderlinc,lol

Ok I got the bug, ever since the thunderlinc died I\'ve wanted another markVII...
Well I\'m thinking abot buying a \'78 Continental from a guy I work with and I don\'t want another case of thunderlinc problems so my question is this...What should I look for problem wise? All I know right now is its a \'78, white with a 460...

markedman90

[quote name=\'Blade\']Ok I got the bug, ever since the thunderlinc died I\'ve wanted another markVII...
Well I\'m thinking abot buying a \'78 Continental from a guy I work with and I don\'t want another case of thunderlinc problems so my question is this...What should I look for problem wise? All I know right now is its a \'78, white with a 460...[/QUOTE] Biggest problem is 9 MPG. and that was @ 9MPH or 90 MPH, - didn\'t matter.
\'78 was the last year Ford could certify the 460 for cars due to EPA restrictions.
I had a \'75 TCoupe, and the best thing I did was go to an Edilbrock Performer manifold and matching 4BBL to get to an avg. 13.4 MPG

pro-five-oh

[quote name=\'ND4SPDLSC\']If it\'s it\'s cheap, maybe you could sell it to a collector. I couldn\'t touch a \'78 because of its nautical nature and dismal performance.[/QUOTE]

Good. More \'78s for me! :)

78lincmarkvSMSWEET4web.jpg

EDIT: a stock Mark V will humiliate a stock 1986-87 LSC on the highway. Ask me how I know. :)

trife86

[quote name=\'markedman90\']Biggest problem is 9 MPG. and that was @ 9MPH or 90 MPH, - didn\'t matter.
\'78 was the last year Ford could certify the 460 for cars due to EPA restrictions.
I had a \'75 TCoupe, and the best thing I did was go to an Edilbrock Performer manifold and matching 4BBL to get to an avg. 13.4 MPG[/QUOTE]

13.4mpg on a 460 sweet!

imported_Sal Collaziano

Man, I haven\'t seen one of those \'78s in a LONG time.. :p

With gas prices the way they are, I think you should stick with the Mark VII.. Unless you can get a LEAST the 13.4 mentioned.. That\'s still like an SUV though...

NYC LS8

It\'s not pro\'s, it\'s his bro\'s

markedman90

[quote name=\'trife86\']13.4mpg on a 460 sweet![/QUOTE] It took awhile, and some re-routing of vacuum lines to control the EGR etc.(had to be emissions legal here). This thing had 1 cat converter in a dual exh. system (factory) and a Revision 22 emission scheme.
Unfortunately, all of the lit I could find ended @ rev. 21, so..... I got creative:headbang:
I drove it 55K back and forth to work, and the same route w/ the VII\'s trip minder said I was avg\'ing 28 MPH over a 34 mi. drive, most of which was on the Xways.
Sorry, I didn\'t mean to hi-jack - - - I\'ll go take 10 mins on the couch:cool:

pro-five-oh

[quote name=\'NYC LSC\']It\'s not pro\'s, it\'s his bro\'s[/QUOTE]

Yeah but he knew better to buy it after discussing it with me.

bro: \"dude I saw a triple black Mark V for sale! what should I look for to see if its worth buying?\"

me: \"who frickin cares, its triple black, stop talking to me and just buy it already!

96DiamondVIII

Those V\'s are nice-looking cars. Definitely huge though.

9 MPG city, 13 highway is pretty dismal. Not a great choice for those with long daily commutes, at least not as a DD...

pro-five-oh, did he/you remove the vinyl top? I do believe that one up there is the only MkV I\'ve ever seen without one.