01 LS V8 overheating

Thread starter #1
Hey everyone. Haven't had this car too long and have had to do a lot of work to it (I got it cheap luckily lol).
Right now, its wanting to run hot. I never run it past about 3/4 on the gauge. So far I've replaced the reservoir tank, and the plastic T junction that connects to the upper radiator hose. Now prior to the overheating, I had to replace the AC compressor and climate control valve to get the AC working. The AC worked then but would cause the car to run hot (only if the AC was used). It was fine otherwise for a couple of weeks until the plastic T junction busted one night. Replaced that and then I'd get intermittent overheating and now it will overheat more predictably. After refilling with antifreeze, I did bleed the system through the valve near the reservoir tank until i got a steady drip about one per second and no bubbling. I did notice today that after it had started to get hot I could see just a small amount of antifreeze come from under the reservoir cap but not enough to cause it to read low once cooled down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I'd like to hear input about the overheating with AC issue. I like the car just want it running right.

Is your radiator cooling fan running hard when it overheats? You have the hydraulic fan which can be problems on its own. If the fan is okay(speeding up when needed), and your components are acceptable and not leaking or have microcracks(which allow air to enter the system when it cools), then you have to do a n exact proper bleed.
Don't face the car uphill when you do the bleed and make sure you have 60-65% antifreeze if you can.Never under 50%.
The Ford manual has the proper bleeding procedure. Gotta do it.
Oh,and don't buy aftermarket parts.They won't last. don-ohio

l3ftism

orlando, fl
I would check your fluid level in radiator after a couple of heat/cool cycles.
Also, I would bleed the air after several cycles of heating up and cooling down as well.
Last thing. I've noticed that if my temperature ever gets to hot that the thermostats go bad. This has been confirmed a couple of times. I don't know why but the thermostats seem very sensitive in these cars.

good luck!

I have been the route of aftermarket thermostats,which sounds like you might be doing,but the ONLY good thermostat is a Ford thermostat(motorcraft). Of course,overheating a Ford thermostat may ruin it eventually,I guess.
don-ohio

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML