‘14 MKZ Hybrid Transmission issue…

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

KonaJK

My MKZ Hybrid (101k miles) has a fluid leak coming from the transmission- confirmed.
Car is running fine- smooth, no gear issues (sticking/catching) and no high rpm issues.

Only observe a whining sound when idle.
leak is slow drip - brownish -old tranny fluid.

Questions: as I would like to keep my expenses to a minimum, could I get away with having the transmission (gasket) sealed and re-fill tranny fluid?
Or will this require a bigger job of repair or replacement of the transmission?
I appreciate your insight. Thank you!!

KonaJK

JKeaton,
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Follow-up question-what about the whining sound (when idle), is that a concern, knowing that the car runs OK? Does that indicate it is extremely low in tranny fluid?? Thanks again.

BTW, anyone else with knowledge on this subject, please weigh-in as I will take other expert opinions under consideration. Thx

Multitask

Los Angeles, Calif
a 7 year old car with a leak , just means it is time to replace the gasket.
If after you do this, and the whine does not go away, might need some repairs from a mechanic. Unless you know what you are doing.

RideLincoln

I've seen YouTube sites that indicate this is a bearing going bad on the transaxle where the CVT axle enters the tranny. That noise is the beginning indication of a coming problem. It will eventually bore a bigger hole and then require a new transaxle. Recommend a Lincoln dealer check it out BEFORE the tranny goes bad.