lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS

Lincoln Forum: 1997 Lincoln Continental
    Remove this ad
    I apologize in advance because I am sure that this review is going to be quite lengthy.

Precourser to my story: When I was a junior in high school my girlfriend's father had purchased one of the first redesigned '95 Continentals to hit the streets in our town. He let me drive it anywhere I wanted and I remember that car quite fondly.

I picked up my current '97 Continental with a laundry list of mechanical problems and some front end damage. The previous owner had hit a deer so the car needed a new grill, headlight, sidemarker, fender and hood. The car came with a replacement grill, headlight and sidemarker so after about 45 minutes of work the car was already looking better. I still do need to replace the fender as there is a 1" corner broken off and the hood has stress crack in it but I have been unable to find a blue set to match yet.

Mechanically I was a little concerned with the car. The speedometer did not function and the odometer read "Data Input Error". The Cruise didn't work, the ABS light was on and the Traction Control wasn't functioning. The car seemed to bog and hit a wall when it was put at wide open throttle or if it actually accelerated the tranny didn't want to shift until I let off the gas.

My first concern was getting the speedometer functioning again. Finding good technical help on Continentals proved to be a tough task. All the research I did pointed to the ABS/Traction Control Pump. The pump from Lincoln was around $1300, so I had to look for a JY one. I managed to find one for around $150. It took me almost 3 hours to replace the pump and then I had to have the ABS system bled by an expensive shop scanner. After all of that, the speedometer still didn't work. The next research I did, people were telling me that it was most likely an ABS wheel sensor. Luckily for me someone on this board steered me in the correct direction. TEXIANJOE told me to double check all the fuses before doing any more work. I checked them and found out that I was missing a fuse all together. I replace the fuse and the car came to life. The speedometer, odometer, ABS and traction control immediately turned on and functioned correctly. I took it out on the highway and opened it up. For some reason that little fuse also made the transmission shift firmly and correctly. It probably had something to do with the ABS wheel sensors functioning again.

The Continental as been a great car now that everything was fixed mechanically with one little missing fuse. I love the ride and the 260 horses move it along pretty well for a car this size. It is serving it's purpose wonderfully as my 9 month old son rides in the backseat everyday with me.

My only complaints have to do with the lack of information online reguarding the technical side of the car, the uncommon bolt pattern makes finding aftermarket wheels very difficult/expensive, the factory radio doesn't have a typical antenna jack going into it, so putting an aftermarket deck in would prove very difficult and there aren't very many modifications specifically designed for the Continental. I expected the lack of mods, but the lack of information online that is available really suprised me.

-J

Great review, I'm glad you like you car now that it's running right. We know what happened to the car because you have a picture of it in you post. More important what happened to your high school girlfriend, brokeup, married her and lived happily ever after? Inquiring minds want to know.

joe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>More important what happened to your high school girlfriend, brokeup, married her and lived happily ever after? Inquiring minds want to know.</div>

We dated for 3.5 years but we broke up amiacably once we realize that we were growing apart. I still talk with you on a regular basis though.

Sad, what happened to the Continental. BMW buyers weren't convinced. Town Car buyers weren't either.

Remove this ad
    1997 Continental is great! This is the nicest riding / speedy / car I have owned...

I have had 5 Honda's, 3 Ford Vans, 1 Olds 98, 1 Acura, 1 Spitfire (a long time ago), 1 Taurus Gen4, and now 1997 Lincoln.

I liked the gas mileage on the Honda product but it is like comparing apples to oranges. The Lincoln rocks!