lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS

Lincoln Forum: Check Charging Sytem
    Remove this ad
    Hi everyone!

I just bought a 2005 Navigator about a month ago. Had it looked over before we purchased it and everything checked out. Then about a week after I got it, the Check Charging System indicator came on in the message center. The battery light came on also. It only stayed on for a minute or so and then went away. We took it to the Lincoln dealership and had it checked out again and they said everything was fine. It continued to come on intermittently. Auto Zone says the battery and alternator are fine. Took it to another auto repair shop. They checked the charging system and battery twice and said everything checks out (although the light/message were not on when they checked it). The message and light never stay on for more than 10 minutes at a time (on average it stays on about 2 minutes) and it seems it comes on randomly. Some days it will come on twice, sometimes four times, some days never. I've never had a problem starting the car and my battery's never died on me.

Anyone have this problem or any solutions for me? I don't want there to be a problem that I'm letting fall to the wayside because my car runs.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi thejordans and welcome

I'd be checking your major ground points under the hood. I would also thoroughly clean the battery posts and the cable attachment clamps with some emery cloth. Even the slightest bit of oxidation or corrosion can cause funny problems if the car isn't getting consistent power. This issue would likely not show up during tests by a shop or dealer service department.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Nick
    Nick

Past: 1967 Lincoln Continental convertible, 1987 LTC Cartier, 1996 LTC Signature, 1996 LTC DAE, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD
    Current: 2009 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4
    WANTED: 1967 Continental sedan or convertible
    In my dreams: Continental Mark II

Do you see any other symptoms? Lights dim (headlights and/or dash ligths) when the warning lights come on? Power steering get hard? It might be a weak idler pully or belt tensioner causing the accessory belt to slack thus not allowing the alternator to charge. Just a thought. Sporadic problems are particularly irritating. Sometimes I wish they offending part would just fail already! Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by go_phx View Post
    Do you see any other symptoms? Lights dim (headlights and/or dash ligths) when the warning lights come on? Power steering get hard? It might be a weak idler pully or belt tensioner causing the accessory belt to slack thus not allowing the alternator to charge. Just a thought. Sporadic problems are particularly irritating. Sometimes I wish they offending part would just fail already! Good luck to you.

No other symptoms up until about 3PM yesterday. Here's what happened-

I decided to vacuum the Navigator, so I reversed it out of the garage onto the driveway. I went a little too far back and put the car in drive to move forward a bit, but instead of going into 6th gear it went into 4th, although it was in the 6th position. I tried jiggling it and turning the car off and switching gears and everything. So (female here, not too spun up on vehicles...didn't know what that could mean) called the repair shop and they said it sounded like maybe a bad solenoid. They said since they don't do transmission work to take it to the dealership. The dealership concurred and said it did sound like a solenoid issue, so I decided to take it in. On my way there, some idiot made a right hand turn into the middle lane where I was. So I had to slam on my breaks really hard to avoid crashing into him. At that moment, the D6 light lit up.

I took it to the dealership anyway, so we'll see what happens. I have a really really good extended warranty that covers almost everything except maintenance and normal wear and tear parts, so that's the good news. I'll update when the dealership gets in touch with me.

Quote Originally Posted by thejordans8089 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I just bought a 2005 Navigator about a month ago. Had it looked over before we purchased it and everything checked out. Then about a week after I got it, the Check Charging System indicator came on in the message center. The battery light came on also. It only stayed on for a minute or so and then went away. We took it to the Lincoln dealership and had it checked out again and they said everything was fine. It continued to come on intermittently. Auto Zone says the battery and alternator are fine. Took it to another auto repair shop. They checked the charging system and battery twice and said everything checks out (although the light/message were not on when they checked it). The message and light never stay on for more than 10 minutes at a time (on average it stays on about 2 minutes) and it seems it comes on randomly. Some days it will come on twice, sometimes four times, some days never. I've never had a problem starting the car and my battery's never died on me.

Anyone have this problem or any solutions for me? I don't want there to be a problem that I'm letting fall to the wayside because my car runs.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi - My light comes on and off from time to time. I noticed that sometimes my rear TV screens dims when the light comes on. I changed the terminals and the battery was purchased back in Dec 2010. Not sure if the alt is bad or what else I should check. AutoZone stated that the alt is putting out under 14 volts. Im sure it puts out 14 v when the light is not on. Its almost as if the alt charges sometimes..

Please help................

I had the same issue with my Aviator. One of the idiots at the local AutoZone brought the hand-held tester out and told me my battery AND alternator were fine. The battery light kept flicking which would cause the chime to ding...

Went to another AutoZone (with some better help) and had them wheel out the big test cart. After that was hooked up and I held the engine at 2,000RPM for a minute, it was determined that my 130A alternator was putting out about 60A - so despite what the first guy said, my alternator was NOT fine - I should have known, since my lights were dimming very slightly when I was at idle.

So in any case, be sure the person doing the testing actually knows what they are doing!! I put a new alternator in almost a year ago and have had zero issues since.

i know this is a very old thread but i have to ask. the truck is a 03 aviator. i replaced the battery because was bad. every since then i have the battery light on. i had the alternator checked and it was good. i swapped for a known good one just because. i am still not getting a charge. battery voltage is reading 11.75 and the alternator is reading the same. I have checked the wires for continuity and all is good. i have rest both the grounds that i have found. is there more?
    if don't figure this out there is going to be a giant bonfire in my yard with a lincoln as a starter.

Remove this ad
    How's the condition of your cables? As mentioned these cable to have poor connection to the terminals and along the line. If you can try to clean the contacts or use another lines to see if it will make any difference.