lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS

Lincoln Forum: Aviator Cracked Applique (rear liftgate)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Remove this ad
    I have searched through the forum here and have found little mention of the issue. The TSB was useful. What I am interested in is finding the applique at a reasonable price (local dealer has it at $170 plus $35 for the emblem). I wish I could find one already painted pearl white. But they do not carry them anymore.

I think I can pull off the install based on the TSB. But what if anything has been done to repair the original design issue? Won't it crack again? Has anybody got any experience with this?

Thanks!

Mike

mine is cracked as well, happened a couple months ago, been looking at salvage yards but they only sell the enter lift gate for about $750.

Also after mine has cracked i start noticing a lot of aviators, mountaineers, and explorers cracked in the exact same spot so i don't think they have fixed it.

Maybe when installing it just add some support behind it. (extra glue or some foam?)

Yes it is a common problem. There is a TSB on the problem. But no indication that the repair is permanent. I don't mind doing it as long is it won't come back.

is the ONLY source for this body panel from a Lincoln dealer?

you could try salvage yards but aviators are hard to find.

I found one in a dallas salvage yard and got as much as i could out of it, but after mine cracked i contacted them and they had already crushed the vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Ramacher View Post

I found one in a dallas salvage yard and got as much as i could out of it, but after mine cracked i contacted them and they had already crushed the vehicle

Did you have yours fixed anyways? The reason I am hesitating is I do not want throw good money after bad. Now, if I could get the part painted and install myself (which I think is possible) then I might do it. I was just hoping for another source on the part. I think I would reinforce the affected area with carbon fiber tape, and drill stress relief holes in the corners under the emblem.

I spoke with the parts manager at Lincoln and he said the part is the original. So nothing has changed there. Several folks have mentioned the crack comming back after repair. The TSB does not suggest that the installation procedure is revised. The TSB does indicate that removal of the applique is destructive, so getting a part from a junk yard is pointless. Might as well as get the whole hatch!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramacher' date='18 May 2010 - 05:20 AM' timestamp='1274181654' post='21517

Did you have yours fixed anyways? The reason I am hesitating is I do not want throw good money after bad. Now, if I could get the part painted and install myself (which I think is possible) then I might do it. I was just hoping for another source on the part. I think I would reinforce the affected area with carbon fiber tape, and drill stress relief holes in the corners under the emblem.

I spoke with the parts manager at Lincoln and he said the part is the original. So nothing has changed there. Several folks have mentioned the crack comming back after repair. The TSB does not suggest that the installation procedure is revised. The TSB does indicate that removal of the applique is destructive, so getting a part from a junk yard is pointless. Might as well as get the whole hatch!

Mike

no i haven't done yet for the same reasons you've pointed out. I'd rather live with it then pay $200+, hence i was looking for it at salvage yards, it wouldn't be more than $50 and i wouldn't be that upset if it broke again.

Also i did find full liftgates but for around $1,000.

Has anyone heard about the class action lawsuit filed for this?

As reported in Yahoo finance.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Murray...11654.html?x=0

http://www.murrayfrank.com/lawyer-attorney-1780007.html

I was going to contact them but wasnt sure what information they needed.

Shawn

kp-avikh is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 Aviator
    I read about the class action lawsuit too, although from a different source.

Kind of disappointed they didn't revise the part, but then that would be admitting culpability I imagine.

I have seen a brand new panel for sale on craigslist. I was hoping to do the same thing when mine inevitably cracks. I've seen a mountaineer with the panel totally removed and it didn't look like there was a lot of space in there for much reinforcement.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by kp-avikw View Post
    I read about the class action lawsuit too, although from a different source.

Kind of disappointed they didn't revise the part, but then that would be admitting culpability I imagine.

I have seen a brand new panel for sale on craigslist. I was hoping to do the same thing when mine inevitably cracks. I've seen a mountaineer with the panel totally removed and it didn't look like there was a lot of space in there for much reinforcement.

I own an Aviator 2005 which the rear liftgate apron cracked twice, one under warranty and was fixed and again after warranty expired which cost me around $400 to replace at a body shop. The technician at the body shop told that it will crack again. It happen when the weather here in Texas (Houston area) gets real cold.