lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 97 Executive Town Car
    Skarhed Guest

A Wacky ABS Theory

Remove this ad
    I\'m just trying to figure this one out, first off the ABS is working and pretty well. All mechanical components check out OK, (new accumulator, calipers all free and etc)BUT
    When I make a left turn/curve at speed or a fairly spirited start from stop about 7 out of 10 times the yellow ABS light comes on. Turning the key off then on clears it. Have stopped when it was on and attempted to get codes, nada. It never does it on a right turn.
    The Theory: Can the axle move enough to generate too much clearance at the sensor? As in a soft \'C\'-clip thats peened or worn groove in axle. I can\'t think of anything else at this point, if I had hair I\'d pull it out.

W.V. Kelly Guest

A Wacky ABS Theory

I think you\'re on the right track. Have you checked that all the sensors are clean and have a gap at the toothed wheel? Could also be front wheel bearing play.
    Never give up,
    W. V. Kelly

Skarhed Guest

A Wacky ABS Theory

I had eliminated the fronts as I have recently installed new bearings/races on that end, but I\'ll double check! At least you think I\'m looking in the right area? Sometimes I over-analyse a problem and make it harder than it really is.

W.V. Kelly Guest

A Wacky ABS Theory

[quote name=\'Skarhed\']...Sometimes I over-analyse a problem and make it harder than it really is.[/QUOTE]

The Kelly family has been known for that for many years. There\'s always a harder way to do it.
    W. V. Kelly

SilverFox Guest

A Wacky ABS Theory

WHAT ABOUT rez leaning out on the sensor? That throws a red light doesn\'t it though?

Skarhed Guest

A Wacky ABS Theory

Yup, resovoir level will be a red \'Brake\' lite.
    Still, in reading the diagnostic and test section and going by the warning lamp display matrix it leads back to a possible ground fault in the pressure switch circuit. Just can\'t figure out how or what could make it left turn specific. Have cleaned and reconeccted all ends of ground cables at battery, block, body, ABS pump body, etc. I think my mojo is getting weak!

Skarhed Guest

A Wacky ABS Theory

Update: After changing the accumulator the left turn = yellow lite has not reoccured. Shortly after that I pulled front hubs to pack wheel bearings, left inner race has wallowed out in hub. This allowed the hub to move enough I think to either cause a pressure fluctuation with the weak accumulator and/or the clearance at the sensor to go out of range. These are el cheapo \'brand-x\' rotor-hub assemblies that I had bought for #2 and swapped over to #3 prior to last year\'s Power Tour at which time I put in new bearings and races. They have appx. 12,000 miles on them. When I bought them they were in identical boxes with same part #\'s but one was marked Made in USA and the other Made in China. Guess which one is the boogered one.
    Note to self: Buy good brake parts, save money somewhere else.

W.V. Kelly Guest

A Wacky ABS Theory

Remove this ad
    [quote name=\'W.V. Kelly\']...Could also be front wheel bearing play...[/QUOTE]

I love it when a good plan comes together. Good on ya.
    Country of origin, country of origin, country of origin,
    W. V. Kelly