lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Bumping/wobbling - 07 MKZ AWD
    FuzzelFox is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2007 Lincoln MKZ, 1995 Town Car Signature

Unhappy Bumping/wobbling - 07 MKZ AWD

Remove this ad
    So right off the bat a little history: I bought the car a few months ago with 120,000 miles. It's been in what looks like a front end collision (the fascia is all pushed in about a half an inch but it wasn't noticeable until after I bought it. It also wasn't on a carfax report). A couple of weeks ago it started feeling rough and "bumpy" on smooth roads. I was thinking it was something to do with the one wheel that looks somewhat damaged but then the transmission cooler lines started leaking hard and I realized it was just slowly draining fluid and getting rougher.
    Well those are all fixed up now and the car was smooth but still occasionally has his wobbly feeling. This morning it felt pretty significant so I stopped and checked the air pressure of the tires but everything was where it should be. It's mainly at slower speeds, around 30-50mph and I can't for the life of me think of what it could be. I did have the tires/wheels checked and was told it's all perfectly round, balanced and aligned. There's also occasionally still some odd shifting, like someone's not operating a clutch properly or gear slippage. And it confuses me because some days it's perfect, the ride is as smooth as can be.

Slick Fan is online now Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    At first, I was going to guess that one of your tires may have a broken belt, causing an odd wobble feeling. But since you had them checked out, that's out.

The only other guess I'd have would be a bad wheel bearing. Last year, I had to replace the right rear bearing on my Aviator. At first, it would be very intermittent, with the occasional zig-zag feeling at the rear on certain road surfaces. As the bearing got worse, so did the driving problem...the rear tire was "steering" itself, and by the time I figured out the problem, it was getting borderline dangerous to drive very far.

Regarding the odd shifting, since you have had the transmission cooler lines fixed, you may currently be a little low on fluid. That can cause shifting issues.

FuzzelFox is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2007 Lincoln MKZ, 1995 Town Car Signature
    Rear wheel bearings don't make a lot of noise do they? I find it funny you mention replacing one on an Aviator because the front right of my mothers Aviator just had to be replaced. A rear wheel bearing would make some sense since it seems to feel like it's bumping, but kind of in all directions. Not enough to feel like it's steering itself though, yet. It would also make sense since the first/only time my mother has driven this car that wheel blew a tire. It was a crappy tire set that the dealer sold the car to me with and the other had plugs in them so I wouldn't be surprised if that one did. The road she goes to work on is a mostly dirt and where it's paved it's worse than the dirt as far as bumps go. It was also April so the dirt was mostly washboards and frozen ones at that. She also doesn't know just how long she drove on that wheel.. without the tire. (It was wrapped up on the wheel still at least but that would probably be bad on the bearing )

As for the transmission fluid level, for the love of God I've tried to figure out what level it's at ever since I got it back. All I've managed to get is it looks like it has double the amount it's supposed to have. All I know for sure is it was draining pretty rapidly the night before I took it to the garage. I bought two quarts (from the dealer, ugh), put those in after it had been sitting for 24 hours and brought it down. It sat, tilted forward (the parking lot is tilted) for a week before they got to it. I don't know if it had stopped draining in my driveway because it had caused a vacuum and all the ATF was sucked out or if it just leveled off (I don't know where the lines attach to the transmission). I know the car is supposed to have 7.5 quarts, I put in two and the guy at the garage said he put in 3 because "there was some already in there". If there was two left over when I put 2 in and it somehow retained those two it should be about right. But I'm thinking it drained those two and it's probably at about 5 right now. But I haven't been able to get a cold reading, a hot reading or any reading that isn't an inch higher than the cold or hot line.

Slick Fan is online now Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Yes, the bearing did get noisy toward the end, although it sounded more like the rear differential than a bearing. I'm glad it wasn't the differential that was bad! With the new bearing, all is nice-n-quiet back there.
    The old bearing was a rusty mess when I got it apart...

Regarding your trans fluid, it's not good to run it over full either. You may want to take it back to your shop & have them remove enough to get it to read correctly on the dipstick. They may also be able to figure out why it's shifting oddly at times.

Remove this ad
    Mine definitely doesn't make noise that I can hear, yet. The wheels also all seem solid in place. But even a small disturbance/vibration can be felt when driving. Also it seems to even out and disappear above 50mph.