lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 1999 Navigator temp gage

1999 Navigator temp gage

Remove this ad
    Hi: I have a 99 Navigator 4wd the problem I have been having is my temp gage runs hot almost to the red . I put in a new thermostat, temp gage sensor. No l leaks just had oil changed , and serviced . It all started after I had it serviced and inspected . No leaks or anything . Any idea on what is going on?

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Since it all started after you had it serviced, I would look at the wire that plugs onto the sending unit. Follow it as far as you can, to see if it may have been pinched against something, effectively grounding the wire.

Also, does the gauge swing all the way to hot, even when you first start the cold engine? If it shows normal when the engine is cold, it sounds like it's functioning properly, and that you may actually have an overheating problem. If that is the case, make sure your cooling fan is coming on when it should, once it gets hot.

Yes it starts off low then as it runs it goes up! The mechanic is stumped he has no idea what could be causing it . He said there isn't a problem. The car isn't overheating or running any hotter than usual. I am just baffled and so is he ! Thanks I will mention what you suggested though thanks . Any other suggestions would be appreciated ! My husband keeps saying water pump

It starts out normal then just jumps right to hot . Doesn't move gradual.

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Remove this ad
    If it starts out normal, then goes to hot, I doubt the sender wire is pinched. If it was, the gauge would go right to hot even with a cold engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn0527 View Post
    My husband keeps saying water pump
    I wouldn't think it's the water pump. As long as the belt is turning it, the only way a water pump would make it overheat is if the impeller fell off, or the vanes on the impeller somehow wore down to nubs. Either way, the engine would overheat because the coolant wouldn't be getting circulated.
    But it sounds like your mechanic is convinced that the engine isn't actually overheating. Hmmm...

Even though there's no leaks, it doesn't gradually lose coolant, does it? You don't have to add periodically, right?

You said it all started after you had the oil changed & serviced...what else did they do when they serviced it? Did they get into the cooling system at all?