lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tkg2000 Guest

Distributor Noise????

Remove this ad
    Need a little help guys. Since my engine rebuild, including a new cam and high volume oil pump, if I tighten down on the distributor hold down bolt the thing starts making that kind of \"bad\" mechanical sound like when things are rubbing together in a less that ideal way. Sure enough when I pulled the distributor the drive side of the teeth were way too bright and shiny indicating abnormal wear. If I don\'t fully tighten it, there is no noise but without too much effort I can move the distributor. I am not experiencing any other engine function problems . . . yet! Any ideas on this? Is there some reason there would/could or should be an alignment problem? Could the new oil pump drive shaft be a touch too long??Should I install a spacer or gasket under the base of the distributor? Anybody have a similar problem and identify the right fix?:chin:

NYC LS8 Guest

Distributor Noise????

You have the right kind of gear on the distributor?

tkg2000 Guest

Distributor Noise????

[quote name=\'NYC LSC\']You have the right kind of gear on the distributor?[/QUOTE]
    Best I know. I did not change it. Never considered that the replacment cam could call for a different gear and the manufacturer techie did not suggest I would need to change anything. Without it fully tightened it works fine with no noise, but it just isn\'t in a firmly fixed position.

W.V. Kelly Guest

Distributor Noise????

If the replacement cam is steel like the factory roller cams it will be compatible with the stock hardened steel distributor gear. Since the oil pump (which is new) is driven at the bottom of the distributor you might examine the oil pump drive shaft socket for signs of misalignment or binding (shaft too long). I\'m not sure but maybe you can remove the shaft from the top.
    Never give up.
    W. V. Kelly

tkg2000 Guest

Distributor Noise????

[quote name=\'W.V. Kelly\']If the replacement cam is steel like the factory roller cams it will be compatible with the stock hardened steel distributor gear. Since the oil pump (which is new) is driven at the bottom of the distributor you might examine the oil pump drive shaft socket for signs of misalignment or binding (shaft too long). I\'m not sure but maybe you can remove the shaft from the top.
    Never give up.
    W. V. Kelly[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Kelly! That is sort of my thought on the shaft being a shade too long. It seems that it could certainly explain what I am experiencing. I am just not sure. If I remember correctly it cannot be removed from the top. I can double check on the old one. However, I may be able to make more room for it on the bottom of the dist. shaft or put in a thin spacer as mentioned.

Disney Lincoln Guest

Distributor Noise????

My first guess when reading your post is that the oil pump driveshaft is too long and is bottoming out. You have to drop the pan and pump to get to it though It almost sounds as if you could run with the dizzy not quite as tight and be OK.

tkg2000 Guest

Distributor Noise????

[quote name=\'Disney Lincoln\']My first guess when reading your post is that the oil pump driveshaft is too long and is bottoming out. You have to drop the pan and pump to get to it though It almost sounds as if you could run with the dizzy not quite as tight and be OK.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks! I think I\'ll do that or possibly install a thin spacer or gasket to give me the firmer hold without the bind.

tkg2000 Guest

Distributor Noise????

I fabricated an aluminum shim probably less than 1/16\" thick and installed that. Seems to work well. Time will tell, but it runs fine and has none of the noise discussed earlier.

Disney Lincoln Guest

Distributor Noise????

Ingenious!! Should work out for you.

MACHVII Guest

Distributor Noise????

Remove this ad
    Dear learned gentlemen,

My distributor gear has disintegrated as you can see in the attached pictures.

Were we incorrect to use a bronze gear or have I really f#*ked something up.

I thank you in advance for your guidance and remain...

Murderously Yours,

MACHVII