lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS

Lincoln Forum: The Ultimate Guide For "How Do I Add Factory Navigation To My Navigator or Aviator?"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Remove this ad
    Ok I have finally decided to make a guide for this because I get asked almost everyday how this is done. (It would also be nice if a mod could sticky this...) First I want to say that unless you really want the factory navigation or already have it, it is probably a lot easier to go aftermarket instead. So, just look below for your model and year and this guide is all you need. (If you have a 2003 and want to know what harness your radio uses (World or Phase II), there is no need to pull the radio, just check the build date below or if the radio has a CD or SAT button.) Also this navigation system can technically be connected to any car or truck (I have seen it in a Chevy S10) so if you dealer says it won't work in your Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury, they are wrong or just don't know any better.

2003 Navigators and Aviators built before February, 2003 or have CD button on radio.

What you need-
    -Custom built harness to change your World plugs to the Phase II plugs that the nav radio uses. (Zarb Electronics in Corona, CA is the best place to get this for you.)
    -Pigtail harness to connect the DVD-rom drive to the radio.
    -Navigation radio and the external DVD-rom drive with map DVD.
    -New factory amp with wiring.
    -GPS antenna.

Optional items-
    -New steering wheel controls.
    -New rear-view mirror with microphone.

2003-2006 Navigators and Aviators built after February, 2003 or have SAT button on radio.

What you need-
    -Pigtail harness to connect the DVD-rom drive to the radio. (Your current radio already has the Phase II harness.)
    -Navigation radio and the external DVD-rom drive with map DVD.
    -New factory amp with wiring.
    -GPS antenna.

Optional items-
    -New steering wheel controls.
    -New rear-view mirror with microphone.

How do I change my CD-based navigation in my 2003 Navigator to the new DVD-based one?
    The answer is pretty much you can't. That radio has a completely different different harness than both the World and Phase II plugs and you would need an entire new dashboard because as you can probably see, your CD-based navigation radio is physically larger than the DVD-based version is.

When you are getting these parts, keep in mind that although the parts will work even if you get them from different sources, buy only the actual radio that is meant for your car or truck. An example is do not buy the navigation radio from a Lincoln Town car to put in a Navigator because the radio colour will not match and the lights on the buttons would be green and not white. Also when buying the radio and DVD-rom drive, try and find ones with Ford part numbers that start with 5XXX-XXXXXX-XX or 6XXX-XXXXXX-XX because those are the newer models that will be Sirius ready.

Patrick,
    Thank you so much for putting this together.
    I will make this a sticky

i have a 2003 aviator built on nov 2002. it has phase II plugs. i have a spec sheet directly from ford that shows all aviators(even with the cd button) have phase II plugs.
    here is the link

http://www.issford.com/issford/radio_guide.pdf

I'll have to look into the Aviators but I know this is not the case with the Navigators because mine was built in 2002 as a 2003 model and had the World plugs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (patrick92260 @ Jan 10 2007, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'll have to look into the Aviators but I know this is not the case with the Navigators because mine was built in 2002 as a 2003 model and had the World plugs.</div>

maybe some older style world plugs were used in the early models.

So does this mean that a DVD based navigation(04--06) unit will fit in a 2003 unit if It didnt come equiped with a navigation unit? Also who sells a GPS antenna?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (USMCNAVIGATOR @ Feb 18 2007, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So does this mean that a DVD based navigation(04--06) unit will fit in a 2003 unit if It didnt come equiped with a navigation unit? Also who sells a GPS antenna?</div>

Yes that is how my 03 Navigator came, with no factory navigation. You should be able to get the antenna from any Ford dealer but I got mine from Zarb.

Ok So where is the best place to buy an OEM Navigation for an 03 Aviator??
    I see them on ebay but most are no garrantee. I inquired at the Ford stealership that I bought the rig at and they stated that you have to buy aftermarket? Thanks

Where can u acquire these two item? Approx how much do they each cost?

New factory amp with wiring.
    -GPS antenna.

Remove this ad
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dksu @ Jun 26 2007, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Where can u acquire these two item? Approx how much do they each cost?

New factory amp with wiring.
    -GPS antenna.</div>

It really depends where you get them. If you bought the amp at the dealer it'd probably be $200, but on ebay you could probably get it for $50. There are always tons of antennas on ebay for about $50.