lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 98 TC Screwed up Battery Big Time
    Trixster22 is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 98 TC Signature

98 TC Screwed up Battery Big Time

Remove this ad
    Yesterday, I replaced my battery. In doing so, I hooked up the battery backwards. The terminals on the new battery were opposite, versus the old battery. Still, no excuse; I own it. Connected positive to negative and vice versa. Within a second, a huge spark shot out, and I immediately disconnected the battery.

Can any one help me with suggestions of what I might have damaged? Any suggestion on what damage I might have done? Is there anywhere I should start first? Yeah, I feel like a total dumbass, but I need to move forward and make sure all electrical components are ok. I simply cannot believe I did this and am extremely embarrassed, to say the least.

where is the spark coming from? don't panic yet.

Spark came fro positive terminal.

Slick Fan is online now Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Now that you have the cables hooked up correctly, what does the car do?

Town is online now Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    I have never had this problem so I googled it. In cases where the battery was connected backward and immediately disconnected, there was usually a main fuse blown in the power distribution box under the hood. When this was replaced the car started and ran fine. Manufacturers may use fusible links in the positive wire to the power distribution box under the hood or a fuse to protect the wiring. In cases where the ignition was turned to run there was extensive damage to PCM and radio and some fuses causing major headaches.

In the case of the 1998 TC I was looking for an 80 amp fuse, but did not see one in the power distribution box. The owner manual does identify fusible links by colour. Blue is 100 amps, Black is 80 amps and Yellow is 60 amps but does not specify if used and where. So if your car will not turn over or start then you may need to look at the wire from the battery to the power distribution box for a blue or black or yellow wire that would indicate a fusible link that shows signs of being burned up and way too limp. That wire would need to be replaced. The other wire should be larger and red in colour and go to the starter motor solenoid. That should be OK. If the engine turns over but will not start you can check the PCM diode in the power distribution box beside position 27 (not used). Other fuses may be checked for damage and replaced.

Good luck.

like Town said, connect correctly and try start the car ,see if everything's good, if not, check fuses

Thank you everyone for your input.

The reason for replacing the original battery is that the fuel pump went out, and in my attempts to start it, I killed it. Since it was 7 years old, I replaced, instead of recharging.

My local mechanic has the car now. Will update all of you as to what damage, if any, I did to the car.

Car only has 29,000+ miles on it, so, it's a keeper.

Thanks again for your input. More to come.......

Update. Went through the whole car. The only thing resulting from my mishap was a blown radio fuse. Once replaced, radio was fine. Everything else checked out fine.

To follow up on what Town said, there had to be fusible links in the positive wire to the power distribution box under the hood or a fuse to protect the wiring. When it arced, I immediately yanked the cables off, and of course there was no attempt to start the car.

Again, thanks to all that responded, I appreciate it.

Slick Fan is online now Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Glad to hear the damage was very minimal, thanks for posting your results.

Remove this ad
    Hey, Slick Fan. Appreciate your input and comments.