lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Differential Oil for 1987 Continental
    tsteves5 is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 1987 Continental

Differential Oil for 1987 Continental

Remove this ad
    I hope that someone here can help me out.

I'm planning to change the differential fluid on my 1987 Continental. The car only has 66k miles but the diff fluid has never been changed so I figure that it's time. The service manual says that it takes "90 Hypoid Gear Oil", but I'm having a hard time finding that. From my research online it looks like, hypoid gears require oil that is rated for extreme pressure, or an API GL-5 rating.

Would the Amsoil Synthetic 80W90 (GL-5) gear oil work properly for my differential, or is there a better choice?
    https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ont%2fagl.aspx

Thanks!

tsteves5 is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 1987 Continental
    I was reading on some other vehicle forums that sometimes synthetic gear oil will leak when used in an older differential that previously used conventional oil. With that in mind, I used Valvoline 80W-90 instead. It's rated GL-5 and specifically states compatibility with hypoid gears. It seems to be working fine so far, and really made a difference in the noise from the rear end of the car.

http://www.valvoline.com/our-product...mance-gear-oil

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Remove this ad
    IMO, you made a good choice with the Valvoline. That's what I usually use in my vehicles.