lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Water STILL getting thru!

Angry Water STILL getting thru!

Remove this ad
    Replaced my cowl seal at the passenger wiper pivot with Ford's FOAM seal . Water still gets thru! This is bad because it will get thru coil covers and go into the spark plug wells past the coil boots.
    So NOW I'm gonna put a plastic or metal tray bolted there to make the water go rearward and not land on the engine.
    I think I'll use either flashing,maybe 6"X8" under the pivot arm. don-ohio (:^)

Physics_Outlaw is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2006 Lincoln LS V8
    Hey Don. Can you take pictures of this project? My car isn't ready for the road yet so I might just go ahead and do exactly what you're doing beforehand.

I haven't been able so far,but I get 7 days off after tomorrow,and when I do this I'll describe it in detail. There IS a bolt I'm thinking I'll mount the shield on.
    I was hoping the Ford fix would work. Parking the car uphill will keep water out until you fix it. don-ohio (:^)

I cut a 13".5" X 5.5" piece of aluminum out of an old rectangular baking pan. Back under the cowl, there are three studs hanging down enough to get a nut on. I was in a hurry because of impending rain, so I did it quick and rough.
    I drilled a 3/8 hole in the extreme corner farthest from where the passenger-side pivot arm is. After removing the engine cover,you'll see the farthest stud that I fastened the upper corner over. You'll have to bend it a little as you go and it will fit fine.
    Find a nut that fits the stud and tighten it. Make sure you don't pinch against any component behind engine. There is an expansion valve you need to stay off of. I took a garden hose and drowned it until I saw water get thru the foam seal and it hit the aluminum and dripped behind the engine. don-ohio (:^)

Physics_Outlaw is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2006 Lincoln LS V8
    This is a very genius idea. Good work Don! Quick question, does this water issue affect the 2006 LS8 also? If it does, I will do exactly what you did here.

Remove this ad
    I think they are all the same, but I'll look up the TSB if I can find it. Yeah, it'll work fine, and I would never want to just depend on that foam seal.
    After doing this,I failed to mention that I drilled 2 holes, 3/8" diameter in the coil covers(SOME people run with NO coil covers) to allow excess heat to escape from the coils. V-8 only has covers.
    Hoping to curb coil failures in the future.
    I wouldn't have drilled them unless I had my new fix in place. don-ohio (:^)